Serious question?

BTW, I watched some of the Rose Bowl game just now. Hadn't in a while. Shockey, Johnson and Portis in particular are just overwhelming. ****. And KWII on special teams was something else. Had two knockout blows. Flat out nasty.
Obviously that team was the pinnacle and will never be repeated, but that style of play is what I'm talking about when I say the record this year means **** to me.

Until teams fear us again and we have NFL calibre players coming off the bench talk about winning the ACC / Playoffs etc is meaningless.

I miss the attitude those teams played with dearly.

Advertisement
Dorsey>>Kaaya imo. How do we know King couldn't play in that scheme? He has the arm talent and mental aptitude. The question is whether he can consistently see the middle of field and throw the in-breakers. I think he can but it's a projection.

There's no debate as to who was the more productive QB statistically and King has had inferior supporting casts.
King plays at a time when you're not allowed to play defence.

You can't compare eras statistically.

King vs Dorsey is a legit debate. I don't think anyone can answer that without seeing King in that type of scheme.

Zion at LG is an obvious one imo. Projected 1st rounder vs CFLer...don't overthink this.

Bolden another clear choice.

TS vs Rumph is arguable. I lean Rumph but TS has the talent to surpass.

The honest answer is it could be 0 or more than I listed. It all depends on what actually happens this season.

bolden has so much talent, but hasn't even put together a solid full season yet. played like 4 or 5 games before injury his first year and then disappeared in the second half of last year. james lewis was solid throughout 2001 and capped it off with a pick 6 in the natty.

Dorsey had limited physical talent but he had it and more between the ears. He could process what was happening on the field quickly and that allowed him to overcompensate for his limited arm. I think King (and Kaaya) would have excelled in the 2001 offense. But, that's all speculation. Only 1 has a NC and a 38-2 record.

Dorsey>>Kaaya imo. How do we know King couldn't play in that scheme? He has the arm talent and mental aptitude. The question is whether he can consistently see the middle of field and throw the in-breakers. I think he can but it's a projection.

There's no debate as to who was the more productive QB statistically and King has had inferior supporting casts.
Not accurate enough. The offense would of been good with King but he couldn't of executed it like Dorsey did

Advertisement
Whoa, I doubt that, Lewis was criminally underrated on that team, he kept Sean Taylor on the bench. His pick 6 in the Rose Bowl was a beauty.
Thing of beauty. Could see it coming from where I was sitting and he ran right at us into the end zone.

You keep saying we arent allow to make projections.... which makes it impossible. Obviously the guys who finished their season and won a Natty are going to be better than most guys on our team that havent finished their college careers.

I think some players on our team could potentially be more talented than 2001.

for example: Don Chaney could potentially be the greatest running back in UM history.... We cant just base it off a quarter of a season.

Measurables are up there with just about anyone from 2001.

bolden was my first thought as well -- he's at least one where physically and from an athleticism standpoint he probably surpasses the guy you would compare him to from 01 (lewis). lewis was drafted in the 6th round but never played in the NFL -- bolden will likely get drafted higher and play snaps in the league. it's not guaranteed but seems likely. whether bolden would have been a better player in college than lewis is hard to say because of context (coaching etc)

mallory is another one who realistically would not have played, i mean shockey kept winslow on the bench, but i do think mallory is of the size/athleticism build to have played on that team in some event where shockey and winslow didn't exist. i think he's better than kevin everett, he's prob a better athlete than shockey tho not as durable.

i don't agree on harley vs beard, sands and jones. i don't think harley is a better athlete than those guys -- he will have a better career and may even play in the NFL but i think that's just due to offensive evolution in college football. just in terms of size, speed, WR ability etc ... beard, sands and jones were pretty good athletes, those dudes could run. they were more impressive than harley to me. daryl jones in a spread, RPO, screen heavy offense would've shredded ppl.

i also don't agree on don chaney -- i mean don is a beast but i don't think he's on the level of portis, mcgahee, and gore. the bar is ludicrously high but i would put don fourth of those guys in terms of raw talent. i think duke is the one recent guy we've had who i would put in that group -- his game breaking ability would have played in any era.

01 team had enormous DEs so it's hard to see how guys like phillips and rousseau would've been viewed, greg is huge obv but skinny. i think both would have played snaps on that team situationally tho. phillips as a pure athlete is better than the DEs on those teams, certainly once you hit the second string.

i think nesta could have been on the 2 deep. he's being underrated in this discussion. the 01 team just had huge guys everywhere so nesta wouldn't have fit in the scheme every down, but he has a skillset that would've been unique to the DT rotation just in terms of his get off and penetration, being a bit smaller and quicker.

Last edited:
You keep saying we arent allow to make projections.... which makes it impossible. Obviously the guys who finished their season and won a Natty are going to be better than most guys on our team that havent finished their college careers.

I think some players on our team could potentially be more talented than 2001.

for example: Don Chaney could potentially be the greatest running back in UM history.... We cant just base it off a quarter of a season.

Measurables are up there with just about anyone from 2001.
Chaney will never be the Greatest RB in UM History....and please name me the players who will be more talented than there counterparts on the 01 team....Not happening....

Advertisement
bolden was my first thought as well -- he's at least one where physically and from an athleticism standpoint he probably surpasses the guy you would compare him to from 01 (lewis). lewis was drafted in the 6th round but never played in the NFL -- bolden will likely get drafted higher and play snaps in the league. it's not guaranteed but seems likely. whether bolden would have been a better player in college than lewis is hard to say because of context (coaching etc)

mallory is another one who realistically would not have played, i mean shockey kept winslow on the bench, but i do think mallory is of the size/athleticism build to have played on that team in some event where shockey and winslow didn't exist. i think he's better than kevin everett, he's prob a better athlete than shockey tho not as durable.

i don't agree on harley vs beard, sands and jones. i don't think harley is a better athlete than those guys -- he will have a better career and may even play in the NFL but i think that's just due to offensive evolution in college football. just in terms of size, speed, WR ability etc ... beard, sands and jones were pretty good athletes, those dudes could run. they were more impressive than harley to me. daryl jones in a spread, RPO, screen heavy offense would've shredded ppl.

i also don't agree on don chaney -- i mean don is a beast but i don't think he's on the level of portis, mcgahee, and gore. the bar is ludicrously high but i would put don fourth of those guys in terms of raw talent. i think duke is the one recent guy we've had who i would put in that group -- his game breaking ability would have played in any era.

01 team had enormous DEs so it's hard to see how guys like phillips and rousseau would've been viewed, greg is huge obv but skinny. i think both would have played snaps on that team situationally tho. phillips as a pure athlete is better than the DEs on those teams, certainly once you hit the second string.

i think nesta could have been on the 2 deep. he's being underrated in this discussion. the 01 team just had huge guys everywhere so nesta wouldn't have fit in the scheme every down, but he has a skillset that would've been unique to the DT rotation just in terms of his get off and penetration, being a bit smaller and quicker.
Mallory couldn't carry Shocks jockstrap....and Lol at Phillips being a better athlete than 01s DEs....

I don't think it's crazy at all to think King might have started over Dorsey. It's a hard comparison because the times and offense styles are so different. But if you
stop no GIF by cerecdoctors
take Andre Johnson, Shockey, Portis, and that O-line, bring them to 2021 in this offense, I think King starts over Dorsey. And that offense would outperform the 2001 offense. Nobody could contain Johnson, Shockey, and Portis already and now you have to worry about King taking off and running? That would be bananas.

i'm speechless

I think sometimes you guys forget the limited physical ability Dorsey had. Although the smarts often exceeded the physical talent, Dorsey played some games where HE needed to be a better QB for his team and he wasn't. That BC game (4 INT's, 0 TD's) and the Va Tech game in 2001 were not great games. Neither was Ohio State in 2002.

Dorsey was a product of brains and being surrounded by incredible athletes. Those two things needed to be present for him to succeed. And he was great in that setting. But the reality that a lot of Canes fans will never admit is if you put Dorsey on a less talented team, or a team where the talent gap is closed, his productivity drops exponentially. It's why he wasn't successful as an NFL QB.

If you want to think Dorsey is a better QB than King then I'm with you. That's a reasonable argument. But to say, "i'm speechless", is a gross overreaction. I personally think in this offense with the rest of the 2001 team King would outperform Dorsey in the pro style offense.

Think of it this way: if Ken Dorsey was throwing to Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins and I said to you, "I'm telling you, if this guy just had some talent around him he would only lose 1 game in 3 years", you would be laughing hysterically at me. King put up 2,700 yards throwing to Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins, just let that sink in for awhile. And he also rushed for 540.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Pls understand that looking up stats is just a mere formality to determine who could start & who couldn’t from today’s team.

The game has changed from yesteryear to today. Could u imagine the type of #’s AJ5 would put in today’s passing league? The offensive numbers would’ve exploded for the ‘01 team in today’s football. Can barely touch the QB or WR??! That ‘01 team might avg close to 50-55ppg based upon today’s rules & regulations.

But even w/ the rule changes, to show how far we’ve dropped in either talent or coaching, peep a simple factoid: The 2001 Hurricanes team played five top 25 opponents & all 5 were ranked 15th or higher. We beat them by a combined score of 236-72. That means the offense avg’d 47.2 while the def gave up 14.4 against these top 25 opponents.
Compare that to this past season; we played four top 25 opponents, and only one was ranked in the top 15 (Clemson). We went 1-3 and was outscored 124-175. That means the O avg’d 31 ppg while the def gave up 43.8ppg.

I seen Harley’s name brought up as a possible starter over KB. Harley’s numbers r going to be better than Beard’s #’s from this past season alone; but remember, Beard has never been the #1 WR. He’s always been a complimentary guy. Harley’s numbers were boosted this season going against the #96th, 98th, and 71st ranked defenses. He had another stellar game in 2019 against the 102nd ranked defense. U take away those 4 games, and Harley avg. about 33 yrds/g from his Soph to Senior yrs. KB as a #2 avg. about 27/game from his Soph to Senior yr.

Another name brought up was Bolden. I love Bubba. Bolden had 74 tackles, 4 FF, 1int. Helluva 1st half of the yr & then tailed off after the demolition man haircut. Smh. Would I start him over James Lewis? Lewis had 59 total tackles, 1 FR, 3 ints & a pick 6 in the Nat’l championship game. I’m not so sure I would; but it would be close.

Harley & Bolden, imo, are the only two that can fight for a spot on the ‘01 team, but even our role players were really, really good CFB players. Sometimes we forget that, b/c it was a team full of stars; but, those stars got every single ounce from those unheralded guys.

Today, I see a lot of guys on our team, but no stars. Or when we do have a star (Perryman, Duke, Burns, Rousseau, Shaq, Willis, Flowers, Njoku, Dorsett) it’s far to few of them on one team. That’s y I think fans try to overhype guys, b/c we’ve been desperate for what we had.

The rules regarding the passing game are the same today as they were in 2001. The only difference is the targeting rule. It’s not like the 70’s when dbs were able to grab and hold receivers downfield. The main difference is the type of offenses deployed today. Teams could have run the same no huddle, spread offenses they run today.

There were teams that were already using more modern air raid systems then but most were smaller schools where coaches are allowed to be more innovative. David Carr threw for over 4800 yards in 11 games. There were multiple teams putting up over 500 yards per game but most were considered “gimmicky” because you were supposed to use fullbacks and play in the I formation at the time.

Last edited:
bolden has so much talent, but hasn't even put together a solid full season yet. played like 4 or 5 games before injury his first year and then disappeared in the second half of last year. james lewis was solid throughout 2001 and capped it off with a pick 6 in the natty.
Yeah as I said the smart answer is to wait for the season to unfold. Bolden clearly has superior traits and needs to improve his consistency. He takes a lot of fast and aggressive angles and that can burn you until you find the right blend of confidence and control.

Advertisement
What team is the most talented team in college football in 2021? Alabama? Ohio State? Would anyone on either of those teams have started on Miami 2001?

Also, offensively the game is completely different. Would I want Ken Dorsey running the zone read? Probably about as much as I’d want D’Eriq King taking 5 step drops from under center in the I formation.

I would probably take Mike Harley over Ethenic Sands or Kevin Beard. Or whoever was the opposite receiver of Dre. But once again, totally different game. Totally different styles.
The wrs in 2001 opposite Andre Johnson were definitely average. Jones was a burner but didn't do much. Sands was talented but not a burner, and Beard (with the exception of the '03 game against uf) was inconsistent... would flash at times and then completely dissappear.

Let's see if Harley and Rambo have big seasons because they might have an argument as the 2nd or 3rd wr on the 2001 team.

The rules regarding the passing game are the same today as they were in 2001. The only difference is the targeting rule. It’s not like the 70’s when dbs were able to grab and hold receivers downfield. The main difference is the type of offenses deployed today. Teams could have run the same no huddle, spread offenses they run today.
We ran spread back in the 1990s. Its not the spread we know now, considering spread usually gets connected with shotgun formations (which was something that manifested itself around 10-15 years later). But some of the teams that ran spread were BYU, Kentucky and later Texas Tech. Not really powerhouses. But it did serve for something interesting developments, as Boise State became a top unit in college football, Michigan getting upset by a FCS team and later blown out by Oregon (both running spread offenses).

Targeting rules really made an effect on how offenses developed itself. Back then, if you threw a seam into zone, you better hope the S is not coming for your head. The hit that Taylor put on P.K. Sam or the Meriweather hit against Louisville would get you ejected these days. And for somewhat good reason, if we are being honest.

The wrs in 2001 opposite Andre Johnson were definitely average. Jones was a burner but didn't do much. Sands was talented but not a burner, and Beard (with the exception of the '03 game against uf) was inconsistent... would flash at times and then completely dissappear.

Let's see if Harley and Rambo have big seasons because they might have an argument as the 2nd or 3rd wr on the 2001 team.
Beards game against UF in 03 sh*ts on anything Harley has done at UM....
And that was a good UF team...better than the UF team that beat us a few yrs ago...

We ran spread back in the 1990s. Its not the spread we know now, considering spread usually gets connected with shotgun formations (which was something that manifested itself around 10-15 years later). But some of the teams that ran spread were BYU, Kentucky and later Texas Tech. Not really powerhouses. But it did serve for something interesting developments, as Boise State became a top unit in college football, Michigan getting upset by a FCS team and later blown out by Oregon (both running spread offenses).

Targeting rules really made an effect on how offenses developed itself. Back then, if you threw a seam into zone, you better hope the S is not coming for your head. The hit that Taylor put on P.K. Sam or the Meriweather hit against Louisville would get you ejected these days. And for somewhat good reason, if we are being honest.
Erickson was definitely a spread pioneer. He was one of the first if not the first coach to replace a fullback with a third receiver at the P5 level. He didn’t use the shotgun as much as modern teams but I remember really loving those offenses as a kid because they actually threw the ball a lot. Three yards and a cloud of dust running teams were boring as ****.

Advertisement
Back