Serious Question(s)

Consigliere

All-American
This is not about firing or retaining Coach. Coach clearly looks different out there this year. My question for those here is as follows...

Has Coach lost his passion/drive/________ (insert whatever word you want) for the game? If you think he has, can he get it back?

Please note: I am not asking what caused this to take place.

Advertisement
he's probably accepted the fact that his team can't make buckets. Doesn't matter what play you draw up if you don't make the shots. Doesn't help that we can't make free throws either.

I don't agree and don't really even understand what this means.

Why don't you ask for clarification then? How can you not agree if you don't "really even understand"?

Now back to the topic. Please note this is all season.

Off the court:

Coach is normally a happy dude. He always looked like someone who genuinely loved his job and teaching basketball to his players. His post game press conferences sound different. Something seems missing. I don't see the passion.

On the court:

I think Coach doesn't look the same on the court/bench. He doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm and excitement. The players don't seem to be motivated and we look worse (since @ VT) game to game. The regression is most concerning.

I think he doesn't have control of this team, I don't think they're fully buying in and as a result, they look lost. We don't seem to have our normal leader on the bench.

-----------------------

I have seen Coach do more with less. Two seasons specifically stand out.

Season #1: I was most impressed with his work during the 2013-14 season.

In terms of talent, I haven't seen a worse roster than in 2013-14. That team had a severe lack of talent. With that said, those kids bought in. Somehow he coached those kids to 7 wins in conference. In addition, we lost 6 conference games by 5 or less points (2 by a point). At no point did those kids give up and as a result, we finished the conference schedule 4-2 (after starting 3-9). He never let down during that season and the drive/passion was evident.

Season #2: Last season. Last year we weren't super talented. Depending on the source (see below), we weren't predicted to finish very high after losing 3 starters from a Sweet-16 roster.

We started conference play 2-4. The season seemed to be done. We then won 8 of our next 12. This included winning 4 of our final 6 (regular season) and two straight against @ UVA and Duke. We also beat UNC that year and all this was during those final 12 games.

Things looked different those years and we weren't super talented. I felt the leadership and passion from Coach. I am not feeling it now and the actual performance, as a result, is clearly suffering.

Source #1: 12th
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2659872-predicting-the-2016-17-acc-college-basketball-standings

Source #2: 8th
https://athlonsports.com/college-ba...7-preview-predictions-and-all-conference-team

Source #3: 9th
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...etball-preview-acc-looks-strongest-conference

Source #4: 5th (but predicted 19 regular season wins?)
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...you-need-to-know-unc-louisville-chasing-duke/

Source #5: 11th
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...etball-preview-duke-north-carolina-louisville

he's probably accepted the fact that his team can't make buckets. Doesn't matter what play you draw up if you don't make the shots. Doesn't help that we can't make free throws either.

So you just think the results are purely a lack of execution? You don't see a difference from Coach this year?

Advertisement
You'd be a little off your game too I suspect if you were recently under FBI investigation and had your heretofore impeccable coaching legacy and personal integrity being questioned.

All I can see on TV is he doesn't seem in interviews to have the same "twinkle in the eye" and apparent joy he has had in previous years. As I said, if indeed any of that is true, it''s understandable.

You'd be a little off your game too I suspect if you were under FBI investigation and had your heretofore impeccable coaching legacy and personal integrity being questioned/dragged through the mud.

In my OP, I am not asking for the reason. I am also not asking if it would be normal or expected that as a result of said reason, the passion is gone.

I am just asking do things seem to be different from him.

Advertisement
You'd be a little off your game too I suspect if you were recently under FBI investigation and had your heretofore impeccable coaching legacy and personal integrity being questioned.

All I can see on TV is he doesn't seem in interviews to have the same "twinkle in the eye" and apparent joy he has had in previous years. As I said, if indeed any of that is true, it''s understandable.

If anything he's probably just frustrated losing big leads (Duke), late leads (BC), being sick (the last week) and losing his most important player to injury (Brown).

This is not about firing or retaining Coach. Coach clearly looks different out there this year. My question for those here is as follows...

Has Coach lost his passion/drive/________ (insert whatever word you want) for the game? If you think he has, can he get it back?

The problem with the team may be coaching. But more important I
believe the players are not as good as we thought they were. Brown’s absence is a factor but before he had surgery he was not the same player of last year. We fans are not privy to things happening with coaches and players. There may be some things that have affected the recent poor performance of the team that we we’ll find out about in the future. As of now we do not not look like an ncaa tourney team.

So you kind of see it too?

So you think everything is pretty much the status quo. Cool.

Yes.

And I think if we don't lose a 7-point lead late against BC (a game he didn't even coach), we'd be 19-7, 8-6 (we were 18-8, 8-6 at this point last year) and you likely wouldn't even have made a thread like this.

Advertisement
But more important I believe the players are not as good as we thought they were.

The truth is that the fanboys overestimated this team in the preseason based on nothing but recruiting hype.

We lost our best player from last year (Reed) and an important glue guy (Murphy) and replaced them with 3 freshmen. Then we lost our best player on this year's team to a season ending injury.

Yet despite all of this, people are doing psychological studies on Larranaga to figure out what's wrong.

Yes.

And I think if we don't lose a 7-point lead late against BC (a game he didn't even coach), we'd be 19-7, 8-6 (we were 18-8, 8-6 at this point last year) and you likely wouldn't even have made a thread like this.

It isn't relevant because it didn't happen. Also, if you read my prior post (which you responded to), I have been feeling this ALL SEASON.

I 100% agree with you. I have never seen him so grumpy in his post game conferances. Every single game he seems ****ed off(even in the beginning of the season when we where undefeated). Even if he was ****ed in the past he didnt show it like he did this year in the press conferences. I have never seen him give so many *** chewings court side as he has this year. When things start going wrong he just grills the DC/OC and puts on his ****ed off face. Some of the players seem like they are tip toeing on egg shells all season. They seem so worried about getting an *** chewing that they dont want to take any risks which I beleive is the reason we dont have any player that is willing to just go and take over the game. They all seem to be playing safe so they don't get ripped in the locker room by L.

Advertisement
I 100% agree with you. I have never seen him so grumpy in his post game conferances. Every single game he seems ****ed off(even in the beginning of the season when we where undefeated). Even if he was ****ed in the past he didnt show it like he did this year in the press conferences. I have never seen him give so many *** chewings court side as he has this year. When things start going wrong he just grills the DC/OC and puts on his ****ed off face. Some of the players seem like they are tip toeing on egg shells all season. They seem so worried about getting an *** chewing that they dont want to take any risks which I beleive is the reason we dont have any player that is willing to just go and take over the game. They all seem to be playing safe so they don't get ripped in the locker room by L.

This is comically inept analysis.

Advertisement
Back