Serious question: is Al actually on the hot seat?

It's blazing hot. Forget what you hear or don't hear from Blake James, Shalala, your friends friend who's cousin is on the BOT. Look at the facts and use your head:

1. It's year 4 and we're having the same errors as year 1 despite the fact that we have plenty of talent now. The defense still sucks. The whole team sucks.
2. We're 4-6 in our last 10 games (maybe acceptable in year 1 of a rebuild, but not in year 4)
3. He loses every single time we play a team with a pulse and every time we play a really good team we get blown out. In 4 years Al's best win is vs 8-5 GT.
4. He tried to bolt to Penn State just a few months ago.
5. Attendance is going to be abysmal the rest of the year.

If you've followed this program for a long time, you know. You can see it coming. When the fans, former players, and media turn on you, it's over. And for Al, the end is near. It's just a matter of time now. Those that think he's not on the hot seat have short memories. Think about Shannon. That guy was Shalala's dream hire. A black man as a head coach. A guy who had a great story about making it out of the hood and succeeding. A former player, a Miami Hurricane through and through. If that guy can get fired in year 4 (coming off a 9-4 season by the way), you're being obtuse if you think Al can't and won't.

and his contract?

I'm not worried about it. This is big business. UM has professionals in this arena that work on things like this. It doesn't stand to reason that UM would sign a long term contract where they would have absolutely no recourse should things not work out. I'm sure there's a buyout, it's probably not an insignificant amount, but probably not an insurmountable amount either. There is going to be a point where it makes more financial sense to pay the buyout and fire the guy than continue to suffer the lost revenue from fielding a ****ty team.

Exactly. To me, it makes sense that they'd want him to have a smaller buy out in exchange for the longer number of years. And even then, it's not like UM is going to have to pay this huge chunk of change at once. I have zero doubt that they buyout is manageable.

Yes but is the buyout manageable enough for us to go out and get a real coach while at the same time paying Al what he is due? I have no faith in this administration making the right hire. Our best bet is for Shalala's replacement to be someone that wants to get the football program back on track. If we get someone else who could give two ***** about winning football games then we will see more of the same.

Advertisement
Didn't the school renew Shannon's contract and fire him in the same year? They're not gonna be held back if the team starts losing and seats are empty. His seat is very warm IMO and if we lose to Duke then it will turn to blazing. If we get eliminated from winning the coastal, that is when his seat becomes scorching.

Essentially every game golden plays now is his biggest.

He's going to clean house on the defensive side of the ball or he has no future here. Bottom line is will he protect Dnofrio till the end. If so, goodbye.

It's blazing hot. Forget what you hear or don't hear from Blake James, Shalala, your friends friend who's cousin is on the BOT. Look at the facts and use your head:

1. It's year 4 and we're having the same errors as year 1 despite the fact that we have plenty of talent now. The defense still sucks. The whole team sucks.
2. We're 4-6 in our last 10 games (maybe acceptable in year 1 of a rebuild, but not in year 4)
3. He loses every single time we play a team with a pulse and every time we play a really good team we get blown out. In 4 years Al's best win is vs 8-5 GT.
4. He tried to bolt to Penn State just a few months ago.
5. Attendance is going to be abysmal the rest of the year.

If you've followed this program for a long time, you know. You can see it coming. When the fans, former players, and media turn on you, it's over. And for Al, the end is near. It's just a matter of time now. Those that think he's not on the hot seat have short memories. Think about Shannon. That guy was Shalala's dream hire. A black man as a head coach. A guy who had a great story about making it out of the hood and succeeding. A former player, a Miami Hurricane through and through. If that guy can get fired in year 4 (coming off a 9-4 season by the way), you're being obtuse if you think Al can't and won't.

and his contract?

I'm not worried about it. This is big business. UM has professionals in this arena that work on things like this. It doesn't stand to reason that UM would sign a long term contract where they would have absolutely no recourse should things not work out. I'm sure there's a buyout, it's probably not an insignificant amount, but probably not an insurmountable amount either. There is going to be a point where it makes more financial sense to pay the buyout and fire the guy than continue to suffer the lost revenue from fielding a ****ty team.

Exactly. To me, it makes sense that they'd want him to have a smaller buy out in exchange for the longer number of years. And even then, it's not like UM is going to have to pay this huge chunk of change at once. I have zero doubt that they buyout is manageable.

Yes but is the buyout manageable enough for us to go out and get a real coach while at the same time paying Al what he is due? I have no faith in this administration making the right hire. Our best bet is for Shalala's replacement to be someone that wants to get the football program back on track. If we get someone else who could give two ****s about winning football games then we will see more of the same.

I don't have any faith either, but we don't need to hire Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to get the program back on track. FSU paid Jimbo Fisher less on his first contract than Golden makes now. Harbaugh was had for a bargain. I doubt Pete Carroll came high-priced. Point I'm trying to make is that there are coaches out there who are cheaper that can get the program going again. We just have to find them. But I agree that there's no reason to assume we're actually gonna do that. However, the 15% chance we do is better than the 0% chance we do with Golden.

#BBB

image.jpg

Advertisement
I would say it's at least moderately hot! Program is not improving. Va tech last year and Louisville this year is all the evidence you need. If anybody disagrees with those 2 examples just hasn't been paying attention!

He's going to clean house on the defensive side of the ball or he has no future here. Bottom line is will he protect Dnofrio till the end. If so, goodbye.

He won't be able to protect him . But Duh is only half the problem since it's a shared defensive philosophy amongst his other issues.

Still don't think so, will depend on the rest of the season, we essentially lost to GT last night, and the worst part is we never dared them to beat us in the air.

That's ridiculous. Nebraska has far more talent than Georgia Tech, which admittedly was holding defensive tryouts in practice last week after nearly being embarrassed by Georgia Southern. Do you think we are going to be a 7.5 point underdog at Georgia Tech?

Somehow there are too many members of the Canes fanbase who don't understand the value of running the football often and physically, and believe that any loss to that type of team shouldn't happen. I guess that's where all the Mike Leach threads come from, the same mindset.

Who cares if Nebraska took McNeese State for granted and nearly lost? Nobody could seriously believe that was the version we'd see. Nebraska has been waiting for us for more than a decade, just like Ohio State waited nearly a decade after receiving so much grief for the pass interference call in the Fiesta Bowl. Unfortunately we got both of those teams at home in the early stage of the home and home.

We lost as 4 point underdog at Louisville and 7.5 point underdog at Nebraska. Neither is a crime. Frankly the top guys at this site routinely underestimate the opponent, particularly away from home, and that theme transfers to the threads. This time we were told that Nebraska is mediocre. Last year there was sentiment we had a reasonable chance at Florida State, even though we were underdog by more than 3 touchdowns and with the corresponding astronomical money line. Louisville in the bowl game last year entered as one of the top handful of defensive teams in the country based on yards per play and had several high NFL picks. Apparently none of it matters. We're in South Florida with all the flashy high school kids so we're birthrighted to dominate. Meanwhile I'll continue to assert that preseason ratings are the truth and the light. Until we are rated very high by that measure we are irrelevant and/or fraudulent. The examples overwhelm the exceptions.

Bottom line our talent level is improving and we outman the majority of our remaining opponents. That should equate to victories, although not against Florida State. Many other results are subject to normal distribution. I don't see how Golden is threatened unless he starts to lose in bunches against teams he is supposed to beat, or loses the majority of the toss-up type games. At that point the distribution is not logical and not acceptable.

I despise the passive defense as much as anyone else. I don't see how it's fatal to Al Golden, not at this stage. The standard course of events is pressure to remove the coordinator. That's what the Dolphins faced last offseason with Mike Sherman. By some accounts, Joe Philbin nearly fell on his sword and refused. We'll see how Golden answers the same question.

Back to the Georgia Tech comparison. The 3-4 defense with the natural gaps doesn't fare well against zone read type offenses. Nebraska runs plenty of that, along with straight ahead power. Our defensive scheme matches up much better against a standard option team like Georgia Tech with the exchange points barely behind the line of scrimmage and the quarterback flowing laterally along the line of scrimmage.

Advertisement
I would say it's at least moderately hot! Program is not improving. Va tech last year and Louisville this year is all the evidence you need. If anybody disagrees with those 2 examples just hasn't been paying attention!

Virginia Tech last year was a natural down spot. I posted that before the game. It's still unbelievable we were favored by so many points, without Duke Johnson. When a team overachieves and has a long winning streak to begin the season, and then loses, the next game is invariably a poor performance, unless the opponent is a pushover. I've been betting that angle for more than 20 years and I have friends who have bet it for twice that long. The media prefers to ignore it so so never hear it in non-handicapping conversation. The theme here is we should be fired up to defeat Virginia Tech after losing badly to Florida State. Believe whatever you want.

At Louisville we opened against a very good defensive team while debuting a true freshman quarterback.

When we have dominant talent the poor situational spots don't matter. When we're one among many, they impact us just like everyone else. I'll continue to assert we volunteered toward the middle of the pack when we abandoned the Orange Bowl.

UM doesn't announce anything. When you enter the stadium your ticket is scanned for an accurate count. Go to games much?

Empty seats at SunLife are what will get Al's seat hot. I don't mean what UM announces. I mean what the TV audience and broadcast crew can see.

Awsi,

Your missing the point. We shouldn't be underdogs to average Nebraska and Louisville teams in Golden's fourth year!

Advertisement
Back