Self-Imposed Bowl Ban

canadianhurricane

Sophomore
Now that we are bowl eligible, what so you guys think about a self-imposed bowl ban?

I'm all for it. I know it sucks for the senior class, but honestly, if the NCAA looks favorably on it then fine. I'd like to get the impending announcement and sanctions over as quick as possible and if a bowl ban (like USC is facing this year) is likely, then I'd want it to be done when it hurts us the least. At possibly 7-5, assuming we win next week, its not like we will be missing out on a bcs bowl and bcs money.

Advertisement
They are going to consult with the NCAA through whatever channels necessary. If the NCAA thinks it is a good idea and will help us in the long run, Eichorst will self impose.

iF it looks like that in fact may be one of the sanctions leveled against the program, than yeah, do it an get it over with. Besides...this will one of the few times in NCAA history that a portion of the offending players will actually be serving the punishment leveled against the program for the actions in which they commmitted.

Advertisement
Do it. Who cares about the ****** bowl we would go to this year. Would be a bigger shame to have a killer season next year and not have access to a major bowl.

Self Impose. Get it over with. I know the extra practices, but getting more of the non-work players out of the system is my opinion is better. I hate to see Spence go with a bowl. The others, I am glad you got a education, appreciate you put the helmet on, enjoy being alumni, and get the new blood in.

They were talking on the radio after game show that we will have to Self Impose before we get any bowl invites per NCAA rules. So we have about 10 days before the minor bowls start coming out to schools.

They were talking on the radio after game show that we will have to Self Impose before we get any bowl invites per NCAA rules. So we have about 10 days before the minor bowls start coming out to schools.

BYU accepted a bid to the Armed Forces Bowl. Lock the thread.

Advertisement
Forget the bowl. One month of practice is not going to make a difference with this set of seniors in place.

Just take our medicine, and let the staff focus on RECRUITING. They might even be able to tell new recruits that we don't have to worry about the bowl ban part of the sanctions if any.

There is NO WAY I would self-impose a bowl ban.

1. You don't self-impose a penalty when the NCAA hasn't even concluded its investigation. That's ridiculous. For what would you be self-imposing?

2. That could severely damage recruiting down the home stretch. We've been telling kids the sanctions aren't going to be that bad. A bowl ban is a harsh penalty that means major violations. If we self-impose, it makes us look like liars, and it could be hard to close the deal leading up to February.

3. The team gets extra practices for bowl preparation. Considering we're still in the early stages of a regime change, we need all the practices we can get.

4. I think it would be a slap in the face to the guys who have worked so hard for a bowl game. The entire team wasn't mixed up in the allegations. They shouldn't all suffer if they don't have to, and until the NCAA reveals its finding, they don't have to suffer. I just don't know how you look a kid in the eye and tell him, "Yeah, we're canceling our bowl game because MAYBE we committed some major violations."

5. The sitting chairman of the NCAA has gone out of his way to say how cooperative we're being, and has stated that the NCAA can't use the Yahoo! article as hard facts. They must conduct their own investigation. That leads me to believe they aren't going to drop the hammer.

6. We skate.

1. You don't self-impose a penalty when the NCAA hasn't even concluded its investigation. That's ridiculous. For what would you be self-imposing?

2. That could severely damage recruiting down the home stretch. We've been telling kids the sanctions aren't going to be that bad. A bowl ban is a harsh penalty that means major violations. If we self-impose, it makes us look like liars, and it could be hard to close the deal leading up to February.

3. The team gets extra practices for bowl preparation. Considering we're still in the early stages of a regime change, we need all the practices we can get.

4. I think it would be a slap in the face to the guys who have worked so hard for a bowl game. The entire team wasn't mixed up in the allegations. They shouldn't all suffer if they don't have to, and until the NCAA reveals its finding, they don't have to suffer. I just don't know how you look a kid in the eye and tell him, "Yeah, we're canceling our bowl game because MAYBE we committed some major violations."

5. The sitting chairman of the NCAA has gone out of his way to say how cooperative we're being, and has stated that the NCAA can't use the Yahoo! article as hard facts. They must conduct their own investigation. That leads me to believe they aren't going to drop the hammer.

6. We skate.

All this.

Advertisement

Amen
6. We skate.

Not so sure about this

Advertisement
That didn't post the way I thought it would- I agree, up through 5, hope like **** you're right about all 6, though

I hear ya there. CanesAreAble has been adding that line to about every post he's made over the last few months so it was kinda joking, but serious.

I don't understand what you guys don't get. We have already been found guilty when they suspended 8 players.

Found guilty of what, though? Going to Benihanna for free? Only three guys received multi game suspensions, and that's hardly enough for a bowl ban. USC got nailed becaue Bush and family took a lot more than that, and SC didn't try to investigate despite numerous red flags.

I think it is telling that Golden had heard nothing about possible self-imposing until a reporter asked him about it this week.

Advertisement
Back