Securing Dugans

CashMoneyCane

Mahoney 7
In an attempt to build on the Diaz thread, curious as to everyone's thoughts on how we keep Dugans. He's probably both the best recruiter and assistant coach on the team. We obviously took a big step in warding off FSU and giving him whatever random title increase that it was. I think he understands what he can accomplish at The U (we all know every Seminole secretly wants to be a Hurricane), but before long some SEC team will come calling, with a big bag of cash that Miami cannot compete with.

Frankly, I don't really understand the delineation on offense between Richt Sr, Brown and Dugans in terms of day to day responsibilities. And that stems into recruiting efforts. Both positions groups have recruited as well as you can ask. Travis Homer looks poised to have a huge season, Lingard, Davis and George are beasts, and I couldn't be happier with the coaching or recruitment of the WR's.

The question is, short of a lot more money, how do we keep everyone happy, and if we can't, who represents the greatest value as a coach?

Advertisement
Probably only a matter of time, but if we keep winning and coaches get poached to go elsewhere, other coaches will be lining up at the door to be at a winning program and be able to advance their career! In terms of value obviously Richt takes that title, but he's not going anywhere so the next man up is difficult to say, Manny Diaz is great but I think Todd Hartley deserves an honorable mention. He is a fantastic recruiter and good coach as well.

Were you asleep all December/January?

Dugans turned down more money from his alma mater/former boss to stay here. They would have given him at least a co-OC title too.

He clearly loves Miami/Richt. If he leaves, it will only be for a playcalling OC Or HC job, and nothing you can do about that

It is estimated that with the launch of the ACC network next year UM and all ACC member schools will each have an additional $10 million to spend per year. Add that to the $9 million per year we get from our Adidas contract and the $25-$30 million a year we get from the conference (including our share of the total ACC bowl revenue) and I think UM will be in a much better position to retain coaches then one might think.

Last edited:
Probably only a matter of time, but if we keep winning and coaches get poached to go elsewhere, other coaches will be lining up at the door to be at a winning program and be able to advance their career! In terms of value obviously Richt takes that title, but he's not going anywhere so the next man up is difficult to say, Manny Diaz is great but I think Todd Hartley deserves an honorable mention. He is a fantastic recruiter and good coach as well.

I agree, lets hope the special teams makes major improvements.

Advertisement
He’ll listen to offers with no intent of taking it and we’ll continue to give him modest-solid raises to keep him. He sees all the talent that is here and will be here in the future.

If Mama Donk was integral in wanting to stay in Miami then she sure as **** ain't moving to some SEC hellhole.

This is essentially a pointless thread but the only place I'd be worried about Donk going to is the NFL. I don't think it can be done because you're dealing with world class divas entrenched in their ways with NFL wideouts but he could almost revolutionize the position to an extent if he could get a pro wide receiving corps to buy into his love of blocking and doing the dirty work away from the ball.

Insecurity level is high this morning I see.
ACC network and a whole bunch of football revenue on the way as well as a whole lot of undergraduate and graduate applications.
$$$$

Advertisement
It is estimated that with the launch of the ACC network next year UM and all ACC member schools will each have an additional $10 million to spend per year. Add that to the $9 million per year we get from our Adidas contract and the $25-$30 million a year we get from the conference (including our share of the total ACC bowl revenue) and I think UM will be in a much better position to retain coaches then one might think.
I don't think most people realize how much the Adidas deal helped us. It was a huge shot in the arm, and it couldn't have possibly come at a better time.

Here’s the answer. If you have a good team that performs well over time, it means you’ll have at least some good assistant coaches.

Good assistant coaches get poached and move on to higher positions with more pay all the time.

The trick for a fan is not to worry about it. The head coach and his administration will do what they can do to retain coaching talent, but only up to the point of what they think the coach's fair market value is.

As you will note the highest performing programs, such as Alabama, are almost losing assistants on almost a yearly basis. It’s just part of the game. The trick is as I mentioned before, not to worry about it, because as fans there is not a **** thing we can do. The University of Miami is not reading through these blogs to figure out their employee retention strategies. And none of you know enough about it to offer any kind of coherent strategy.

If we continue to improve on this trajectory, you have to absolutely believe we will lose assistant coaches down the line. The key is to find excellent replacements.

And we’re not losing any this year, so why even bring it up? Are people just looking for things to worry about, and gnash their teeth over? How about we worry about it when the regular season is over, because that’s when it happens, it doesn’t happen during August training camp.

There are also other good employable assistant coaches out there that can be used to replace them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Insecurity level is high this morning I see.
ACC network and a whole bunch of football revenue on the way as well as a whole lot of undergraduate and graduate applications.
$$$$

they don't hear u tho

Dugan got the Co OC title and I would imagine a lil raise to go w it.

Dude is loving his room rn. Only way he leaves is if it's to call plays.

Advertisement
Dugans been loyal to CMR since his playing days. If they still had jimbo, there may be something to worry about but dugans knows hes a better wr coach than taggart is a hc.

Advertisement
Back