Secret tapes unraveling high school

flyguy

Sophomore
During the meeting, according to Nelson, Propst got up from his chair and closed his office door. That's when Propst suggested that the Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama Crimson Tide pay recruits $90,000 to $150,000 to sign with them. Propst also suggested a Georgia booster paid former Bulldogs star running back Nick Chubb a total of $180,000 in three installments to return to the team for his senior season in 2017.

Bet Georgia and bama will never get investigated. Very long article

Advertisement
During the meeting, according to Nelson, Propst got up from his chair and closed his office door. That's when Propst suggested that the Georgia Bulldogs and Alabama Crimson Tide pay recruits $90,000 to $150,000 to sign with them. Propst also suggested a Georgia booster paid former Bulldogs star running back Nick Chubb a total of $180,000 in three installments to return to the team for his senior season in 2017.

Bet Georgia and bama will never get investigated. Very long article

Despite clear evidence of UGA and Bama cheating, Miami will be the only team to face NCAA sanctions because Garcia signed with us.

Advertisement
I'm astonished ESPN is even writing about it.

It makes Miami look bad so of course they would write about it. The way it's written also makes it very easy for the NCAA to pretend like it took the allegations seriously by investigating and disqualifying Jake Garcia.

Miami is the low hanging fruit- we get penalized and then it's case closed. Think about the other organizations implicated- Bama, UGA, and a police department that is accused of funneling drug money to a HS football coach. No sane person who values their life is going to pull on that thread.

It makes Miami look bad so of course they would write about it. The way it's written also makes it very easy for the NCAA to pretend like it took the allegations seriously by investigating and disqualifying Jake Garcia.

Miami is the low hanging fruit- we get penalized and then it's case closed. Think about the other organizations implicated- Bama, UGA, and a police department that is accused of funneling drug money to a HS football coach. No sane person who values their life is going to pull on that thread.

Didn't read it because I already know what it's gonna say, but ESPN won't make the SEC look bad if it means making Miami look bad. What they WILL do, however, is start to write pieces about why it's good to pay players $100K under the table.

Advertisement
go after players no longer in college, and then go after high schools. But let's make sure we never focus on our cash cow (colleges).

My wife watched the documentary on the college admissions scandal that included several big name celebrities. I can't believe I was actually surprised by the way the doc basically went out of its way to barely mention or implicate anyone from the universities that participated. There was a sailing coach from Stanford and an associate AD from USC. The entire doc was spent focusing on the capo running the racket and all of the parents.

Clearly the parents and the guy that was doing this all knew it was unethical and wrong. They deserve to be punished and ridiculed. But here we are, in 2021, still seeing the MSM and bozo filmmakers going out of their way to protect universities that at their cores are corrupt and only care about ONE thing-MONEY.

I could see a potential investigation of Georgia, but Bama I highly doubt. Any wrong doing with all their championships and a coach who has won more than any other coach would be explosive. This is beyond Lance Armstrong stuff and could put Saban along side Joe Pa. it would rock the college football world that a cover up probably has already been put in to place. NCAA never plays fair and has always been careful in their crucifictions.

I could see a potential investigation of Georgia, but Bama I highly doubt. Any wrong doing with all their championships and a coach who has won more than any other coach would be explosive. This is beyond Lance Armstrong stuff and could put Saban along side Joe Pa. it would rock the college football world that a cover up probably has already been put in to place. NCAA never plays fair and has always been careful in their crucifictions.

The other big issue is that if anyone starts digging too deep, they might start looking into whether Saban was also doing the same at LSU (he was), and then it could lead to inquiries about how much Emmert knew as chancellor. This is the problem when an organization that was formed to make money is also in charge of investigations into itself. They aren't going to make themselves look bad and hurt their bottom line.

Advertisement
Ive said for many years now, the ONLY way to stop the illegal stuff that occurs in recruiting is for the IRS to get involved. Anything short of that is just a media story.

I've been saying the same thing, although it could be the FBI for racketeering.

The problem with the IRS getting involved is there's nothing illegal about a school or its boosters paying a player, and there are no tax ramifications for the giver of the cash (that I'm aware of) short of the source of that cash coming from illegal means or not having taxes paid on it. The issue would come down to the recipient not paying taxes on the "gift." So, let's just say the IRS goes after Chubb, for instance. How does that hurt UGA or the bag man?

Further, while the money often comes from sources close to the university, it doesn't come from the university itself. So a bag man or two gets busted, the university gets off free and clear, the NCAA won't touch the SEC, and there's basically no reason to stop.

"OK," Savage said. "Let's talk about that. What do you know about Propst dealing with Jake Garcia and how did the University of Miami come in?"

******* ridiculous. We were recruiting Garcia when he was in California. Even then, the kid didn't even commit to Miami until after his HS playing career was over.

Advertisement
Not sure this is accurate; individuals can gift $15K apiece taxfree to as many people as they want, even non family members. So if there was ever an audit/tax question, the main issue would be if a (709 ?) Gift Tax Form should have been filed.

It's like in law school, when people first learn about "adverse possession" or "intentional infliction of emotional distress". They think they can apply those terms to every factual scenario.

Gifts are supposed to have "donative intent". No quid pro quo. The reason our (past) contributions to UM Athletics were not always tax deductible is that we often received something of value in return.

When there is a quid pro quo ("I will give you this money if you come to Alabama"), there is no longer a gift. It is a payment for services. It is income.

To use another example, if you bribe a politician with $15,000, it is still a bribe and not a gift.

Character counts. And by that, I obviously meant the character of the income.

Not sure this is accurate; individuals can gift $15K apiece taxfree to as many people as they want, even non family members. So if there was ever an audit/tax question, the main issue would be if a (709 ?) Gift Tax Form should have been filed.

Does the gift tax form require to specify the recipient? One would think so for accountability of the recipient to pay taxes on said gift.

When there is a quid pro quo ("I will give you this money if you come to Alabama"), there is no longer a gift. It is a payment for services. It is income.

This seems germane but still shouldn't matter to the person giving unless there would be something like payroll taxes involved, which there aren't. And again, if the IRS f**ks the kids, the system remains intact and nobody bats an eye.

Does the gift tax form require to specify the recipient? One would think so for accountability of the recipient to pay taxes on said gift.

It's a bit of a misdirect here.

If you gave a bunch of people $10K gifts, you don't have to file a gift tax return.

If you give a bunch of people $50K gifts, you should file a gift tax return, and then you reduce your (eventual) estate tax deduction.

For the record, it is generally the GIVER who pays the gift tax.

Also, even if gift tax is not imposed, you should still FILE.

A gift tax is a tax imposed on the transfer of ownership of property during the giver's life. The United States Internal Revenue Service says that a gift is "Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full compensation (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return."[1]

When a taxable gift in the form of cash, stocks, real estate, or other tangible or intangible property is made, the tax is usually imposed on the donor (the giver) unless there is a retention of an interest which delays completion of the gift. A transfer is "completely gratuitous" when the donor receives nothing of value in exchange for the given property. A transfer is "gratuitous in part" when the donor receives some value but the value of the property received by the donor is substantially less than the value of the property given by the donor. In this case, the amount of the gift is the difference.

In the United States, the gift tax is governed by Chapter 12, Subtitle B of the Internal Revenue Code. The tax is imposed by section 2501 of the Code.[2] For the purposes of taxable income, courts have defined a "gift" as the proceeds from a "detached and disinterested generosity."[3] Gifts are often given out of "affection, respect, admiration, charity or like impulses."[4]

Generally, if an interest in property is transferred during the giver's lifetime (often called an inter vivos gift), then the gift or transfer would not be subject to the estate tax. In 1976, Congress unified the gift and estate tax regimes, thereby limiting the giver's ability to circumvent the estate tax by giving during his or her lifetime. Some differences between estate and gift taxes remain, such as the effective tax rate, the amount of the credit available against tax, and the basis of the received property.

Exemptions

There are two levels of exemption from the gift tax. First, gifts of up to the annual exclusion ($14,000 per recipient for the years 2013 thru 2017 and $15,000 for 2018 thru 2020)[7] incur no tax or filing requirement. By splitting their gifts, married couples can give up to twice this amount tax-free. Each giver and recipient pair has its own annual exclusion; a giver can give to any number of recipients and the exclusion is not affected by other gifts that recipient may have received from other givers.

Second, gifts in excess of the annual exclusion may still be tax-free up to the lifetime estate basic exclusion amount ($11.58 million for 2020).[8] For estates over that amount, however, such gifts might result in an increase in estate taxes. Taxpayers that expect to have a taxable estate may sometimes prefer to pay gift taxes as they occur, rather than saving them up as part of the estate.

Advertisement
Back