Secondary Depth Chart

JMG

Sophomore
With Cedrick Wright no longer apart of the team, how do you guys think the secondary looks next year assuming we don't get any grad transfers?

This is how I think it looks as of right now.

CB: Malek Young | Sheldrick Redwine
FS: Jaquan Johnson | Michael Jackson | Jeff James
ROVER: Romeo Finley | Amari Carter | Robert Knowles | Derrick Smith
NICKEL: Trajan Bandy

CB: Jhavonte Dean | Terrance Henley | Ryan Mayes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Knowles won't start over Carter or Finley. Can't disagree with the rest.

As Pete said earlier this morning, it looks like the staff has recognized that we will need 2 graduate transfers in the secondary. We are paper thin with little to no experience. At least last year we had 4 seniors starting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I haven't seen much of Carter's film but this looks pretty accurate to me

Austin, do you think Knowles will ever contribute for us on defense or do you expect him to be lapped by guys that have come in/coming in?

Advertisement
Bandy would backup Young, not Henley. In the nickel they'd go with Carter and Finley at S and then slide Jaquan to NB if needed.

Over course, we're likely getting at least 1 grad transfer, so this will change.

What won't change is that Henley will never see the field here

Austin, do you think Knowles will ever contribute for us on defense or do you expect him to be lapped by guys that have come in/coming in?

I think he can contribute, but still may need more time to develop. Right now I'd put Finley over him as a starter, but could see Knowles still getting some burn.

Advertisement

I think he can contribute, but still may need more time to develop. Right now I'd put Finley over him as a starter, but could see Knowles still getting some burn.
So you're basically saying no, he most likely will never contribute here?

That's what I'm thinking especially when the 2018 DB class comes in.

as it stands now redwine, young, bandy and dean should play heavy minutes in the three CB spots (2 boundary, 1 nickel). each of them (except redwine) have ability to play either nickel or boundary. w jackson moving to safety, it doesn't like like we have the luxury of moving redwine to safety like some on the board hope.

we've got plenty of time between now and august to find at least one grad transfer CB and i think we will. on the off chance we don't, based on their film jaquan and jeff james are the best suited to help out at CB/nickel. the development of finley and carter will be key to how flexible this DB group can become.

knowles is the wildcard but i'm still high on his potential - the same potential he had when we signed him as a project w upside. knowles should be solid in run support, and he has show flashes of range. imo his floor is great special teams contributor

Advertisement
Back