Secondary Depth Chart

I haven't seen much of Carter's film but this looks pretty accurate to me

Austin, do you think Knowles will ever contribute for us on defense or do you expect him to be lapped by guys that have come in/coming in?

I think he can contribute, but still may need more time to develop. Right now I'd put Finley over him as a starter, but could see Knowles still getting some burn.

Any opinion on Jeff James? Is he as crazy as it seems and Chance to contribute next year?

Advertisement
CB: Delaney, Young, Dean, Bandy, Redwine, Jackson, Mayes, Henley

S: Johnson, Finley, Carter, Smith, James, Knowles

Right now we have to shuffle our cards a bit to make it work but it'll work... When the 18 class gets in though we will have solid depth talent wise. Then you will have guys staying in there rightful spots to what they were recruited to do.

CB: Malek Young | Sheldrick Redwine (Redwine is the 3rd guy)

FS: Jaquan Johnson | Michael Jackson | Robert Knowles (with MJ being moved to Safety and having CB experience, I see him helping out at the Nickle)

ROVER: Romeo Finley | Amari Carter | Derrick Smith (This will be a battle all Spring... I'll look fwd to the competition, Finley should have the edge though)

NICKEL: Trajan Bandy
 | Michael Jackson | Jeff James (I think the year may start out with MJ in the lead but Trajan will probably end up locking this spot down)

CB: Jhavonte Dean | Terrance Henley | Ryan Mayes (The 2 back up's here will remain that, but with any injury to young or Dean, Redwine will be in that spot)

I'm very interested to see how the competition will turn out though.

Last edited:
With Cedrick Wright no longer apart of the team, how do you guys think the secondary looks next year assuming we don't get any grad transfers?

This is how I think it looks as of right now.

CB: Malek Young | Sheldrick Redwine
FS: Jaquan Johnson | Michael Jackson | Jeff James
ROVER: Romeo Finley | Amari Carter | Robert Knowles | Derrick Smith

CB: Jhavonte Dean | Terrance Henley | Ryan Mayes

That is scary. We desperately need that Citadel CB.

Advertisement
With Cedrick Wright no longer apart of the team, how do you guys think the secondary looks next year assuming we don't get any grad transfers?

That is scary. We desperately need that Citadel CB.

Not quite as bad as it looks. Henley will NOT be put in if Dean goes down - Bandy or Sheldrick will be the first 2 kids off the bench.

Austin, do you think Knowles will ever contribute for us on defense or do you expect him to be lapped by guys that have come in/coming in?

I think he can contribute, but still may need more time to develop. Right now I'd put Finley over him as a starter, but could see Knowles still getting some burn.

Any opinion on Jeff James? Is he as crazy as it seems and Chance to contribute next year?

Haha yeah but he's a good guy. He's still too raw right now, he will on special teams next year but unlikely on D unless he makes a big jump this spring.

Haha yeah but he's a good guy. He's still too raw right now, he will on special teams next year but unlikely on D unless he makes a big jump this spring.

Austin, apologies if you posted about Jackson somewhere else, but what's your take on him? Does he have the tools to be a starting safety. If yes, what's blocking him from starting? He's one of the fastest guys on the team, doesn't seem afraid to lay the wood, and had to have good enough hips for CB. Just too many MEs?

Advertisement
We will be fine at cb Redwine, Young, Deelaney, and Dean is a very good group of cbs. Jaquan Johnson and Romeo Finley is a very solid starting safety duo

Yall so caught up in this depth chart **** like some fckn weirdos no team is winning games with their 3rd and 4th string players??? i know yall know this bu posting depth charts brings you all enjoyment so go head

Austin, apologies if you posted about Jackson somewhere else, but what's your take on him? Does he have the tools to be a starting safety. If yes, what's blocking him from starting? He's one of the fastest guys on the team, doesn't seem afraid to lay the wood, and had to have good enough hips for CB. Just too many MEs?

I think he could do well at safety, given his size and athleticism. I think he was a bit stiff in the hips and not as quick even though his straight line speed is great. I like the idea of him getting a shot at safety but think he can still make plays this year at corner also.

I think that the 2018 kids can't get here soon enough. That CB depth is pedestrian and inexperienced. The 1st string CBs have a chance to be very good with Malek Young (who I expect to have a breakout year), the No.1 JUCO CB Jhavonte Dean and highly touted true freshman Trajan Bandy. The addition of talented grad transfer CB Dee Delaney would be a huge boost and could really serve to galvanize the position as a whole.

At Safety, outside of JJ we have a ton of youth and inexperience. In terms of potential it's very hard to guage because for the most part it is difficult to ascertain just how much talent we have. Jackson, James and Knowles are all mysteries to me in terms of what their ceiling could be. Finley who seems most likely to start opposite JJ at this point seems like he could be a solid player but again, we don't have much to go on. True freshmen Carter and Smith have very good ability and could be in the mix for PT right away. How much PT is anyone's guess. Spring will be huge in determining what we have to work with and who is ready to step up. Outside of QB, this could be the most intriguing position battle of the offseason. I can't wait.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back