SEC letting players opt out of season

Advertisement
65761.gif

How does this rule pertain to NFL? If they opt out does that still count as 3 years and they can bounce?

How does this rule pertain to NFL? If they opt out does that still count as 3 years and they can bounce?
I don't think that rule would change. 3 years out of HS, and you can go to the draft regardless of what happens this year with opt outs, etc.

Advertisement
The season will be delayed. Start of season mid to late September.
This will seem odd given the crazy spikes right now, but I think the best chance for college football happening this fall is for this spike to be going on now. Get it out of the way, and 8 or 9 weeks from now it'll all be flattening out. We just need to ride this wave out and keep the 40+ adults as safe as possible while this cyclone rips through.

Advertisement
This will seem odd given the crazy spikes right now, but I think the best chance for college football happening this fall is for this spike to be going on now. Get it out of the way, and 8 or 9 weeks from now it'll all be flattening out. We just need to ride this wave out and keep the 40+ adults as safe as possible while this cyclone rips through.

i kind of agree. I don’t think we surge for two months. New York and the northeast is past it. Now it’s ripping the south but will run itself out and potentially all the mask mandates will help some.

You let teams train and practice over the next couple months with the flexibility of cancelling workouts/practices if there are team breakouts. No need to rush with only a 10 game season. By mid September we should be good.

Cases don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things but hospitalizations do. This is the chatt that’s concerning. Hopefully these are younger people who just need some fluids and will be fine. Hospitals are now at a peak. We will see if our treatment has gotten better for those with the virus over the next month.

0AF44B91-1D61-4336-A320-B3E36C2F7DB2.jpeg

Haven’t seen this anywhere in the many post that turn political and go off the rails. This is huge news.

all the details haven’t been laid out but news broke yesterday that they are allowing players to opt out of the 2020 season if they feel unsafe and still keep their scholarship. This is the right thing to do. I think all leagues should allow this.

the question is, does the player use the year of eligibility? How does this impact recruiting and the 85 player max if you start to have a lot of kids sit out?

I doubt we see a lot opt out. I would guess no more than 5% total but I like the thought that the SEc is looking at all options so we can have fall football.

the SEC is also in talks with the ACC to help each other fill gaps on their schedules. Some interesting matchups are being thrown out there.
You mean opt outta their Contracts??

Sadly, the teams that have the most infections preseason will likely be the best off. Trying too hard to protect players preseason will likely lead to disastrous consequences once the season starts.

If you develop immunity by catching it, it's almost counter-productive to try to avoid catching it before the season because I see almost no way they keep college kids not in a bubble from catching this. They're going to get it, so they might as well get it preseason.

If the bureaucrats have the stomach for this, then they will have to eventually come to the realization that almost every college football player will catch it. It's impossible to prevent the spread while playing a contact sport like this when you are not isolating players away from the field. College kids plus super contagious virus plus sweaty contact sport equals pretty much 100% spread. Either accept that, or don't even bother trying to start the season.
Sadly, the teams that have the most infections preseason will likely be the best off. Trying too hard to protect players preseason will likely lead to disastrous consequences once the season starts.

If you develop immunity by catching it, it's almost counter-productive to try to avoid catching it before the season because I see almost no way they keep college kids not in a bubble from catching this. They're going to get it, so they might as well get it preseason.

If the bureaucrats have the stomach for this, then they will have to eventually come to the realization that almost every college football player will catch it. It's impossible to prevent the spread while playing a contact sport like this when you are not isolating players away from the field. College kids plus super contagious virus plus sweaty contact sport equals pretty much 100% spread. Either accept that, or don't even bother trying to start the season.

you're not wrong.

the problem is, and you know, with the particular epidemiology of this virus, if there is widespread infection among 90 guys on a team, the likelihood of at least 1 or 2 deaths is high. Being an athlete is not a shield against the morbidity of this disease. The numbers tell the story, and statistically, the chance of player (and/or coach) deaths is real.

Advertisement
It's window dressing. I doubt you see more than 1% opt out. But the optics are good when you give them that option, and that's all that really matters right now--optics. These fit young athletes are at very little real risk of serious issues from COVID.
Your hitting nails on the head tonight.

Its the right thing to do but maybe a few at most actually do it . As someone else said window dressing but the right kind .

you're not wrong.

the problem is, and you know, with the particular epidemiology of this virus, if there is widespread infection among 90 guys on a team, the likelihood of at least 1 or 2 deaths is high. Being an athlete is not a shield against the morbidity of this disease. The numbers tell the story, and statistically, the chance of player (and/or coach) deaths is real.
1 out of 90 20 year olds that get it don't die . If enough 20 years get it sure there will be deaths and that is why if a kid tests positive that dude needs to be quarantined like a ************ . I don't think your post is correct when looking at the epidemiology. BUt these kids are parents and grandparents who WILL die from it . THAT IS THE POINT . So many dismiss this and never seem to get that. THIS ISN'T ABOUT KIDS OR YOUNG ADULTS.

Advertisement
1 out of 90 20 year olds that get it don't die . If enough 20 years get it sure there will be deaths and that is why if a kid tests positive that dude needs to be quarantined like a ************ . I don't think your post is correct when looking at the epidemiology. BUt these kids are parents and grandparents who WILL die from it . THAT IS THE POINT . So many dismiss this and never seem to get that. THIS ISN'T ABOUT KIDS OR YOUNG ADULTS.

Your numbers are waaaaaaaaay off.

You’re saying 89 out of 90 die.

And if you’re saying only one out of 90 die you’re still way wrong.

Is that tard math?

Advertisement
Back