SEC letting players opt out of season

If I’m manny I’m fast tracking any experimental vaccine um is currently testing, and I’m giving it to the team first, in stages.

Advertisement
If I’m manny I’m fast tracking any experimental vaccine um is currently testing, and I’m giving it to the team first, in stages.
At this point where the humans know nothing but are jockeying to prove they know something. It wouldn't hurt a bit to try all avenues.

I agree that even though it’s the SEC, this is a smart move from both an optics and CYA standpoint. At this point, there’s no liability protection for any organization therefore these provisions would reduce any liability substantially. Obviously, from the optics standpoint, the SEC seems to putting the health and safety of the players first and foremost.

It’ll be interesting to see if the other P5 conferences follow suit and how many players take the opt out opportunity. Also, the big question remains is if a player opts our, does that player lose that year of eligibility.

I can see the SEC stating if a player chooses to opt out, they’re also forfeiting a year of eligibility as well. Puts the ball in the players court. You’re deciding to still play, while the conference and the schools are immune to any lawsuits for players getting sick because it was their decision to play.

If you're saying sign this waiver and play OR you'll forfeit a year 😳 That is wrong on so many levels.

If a player doesn't play this year...there is NO WAY that they can lose a year of eligibility. Also eligibility is determined by the NCAA NOT by its individual members.

Sadly, the teams that have the most infections preseason will likely be the best off. Trying too hard to protect players preseason will likely lead to disastrous consequences once the season starts...impossible to prevent the spread while playing a contact sport like this when you are not isolating players away from the field....

Just a couple of thoughts.

I think it is possible to keep the players in a bubble during the season. Very difficult, no doubt, but not entirely impossible. With one very important caveat: you need 100% cooperation from the players.

I am not sure that the playing field poses a huge risk for transmissions.

First, if the season is played I am anticipating that a “Sean Taylor-esque“ face shield will be worn.

Secondly, it is postulated that the most reliable way for transmission is prolonged contact with high a viral load, not saying that it can’t be passed through incidental contact, but it seems less likely, especially since again assuming the season is played, we know there will be weekly testing - especially before games.

Advertisement
Just a couple of thoughts.

I think it is possible to keep the players in a bubble during the season. Very difficult, no doubt, but not entirely impossible. With one very important caveat: you need 100% cooperation from the players.

I am not sure that the playing field poses a huge risk for transmissions.

First, if the season is played I am anticipating that a “Sean Taylor-esque“ face shield will be worn.

Secondly, it is postulated that the most reliable way for transmission is prolonged contact with high a viral load, not saying that it can’t be passed through incidental contact, but it seems less likely, especially since again assuming the season is played, we know there will be weekly testing - especially before games.
In theory, you're right. In practice, it'll be impossible. College kids won't stay in a bubble, and I'm not sure colleges would want to foster that bubble atmosphere anyway, as it would hit too close to home--these kids are actually pro athletes masquerading as students.

Advertisement
I wouldn't go by those numbers
Reporting in Florida is completely tainted in all sorts of ways...

I was going to say this with my post...
Even if you take 5 points off the stated positivity rate we're still looking at 10-12 of our guys having it.
I think that's about where we are at.

Advertisement
I was going to say this with my post...
Even if you take 5 points off the stated positivity rate we're still looking at 10-12 of our guys having it.
I think that's about where we are at.
Ok. And what's the anterior motive behind posting the numbers? Or is it just a matter of knowing trivial information?

Ok. And what's the anterior motive behind posting the numbers? Or is it just a matter of knowing trivial information?

Your giving me too much forward thinking credit with anterior motives and all that.

Someone said 3 is a little light.
I agreed. I think we have more than that.

Pretty simple.

What were you thinking I was thinking?
A statement on the season?
No, not at all.

There will be football in the fall.

Now go get that other guy.

In theory, you're right. In practice, it'll be impossible. College kids won't stay in a bubble, and I'm not sure colleges would want to foster that bubble atmosphere anyway, as it would hit too close to home--these kids are actually pro athletes masquerading as students.

Right now, theory is all I got to go with. It’s been that kind of a fūcked year.

Advertisement
Haven’t seen this anywhere in the many post that turn political and go off the rails. This is huge news.

all the details haven’t been laid out but news broke yesterday that they are allowing players to opt out of the 2020 season if they feel unsafe and still keep their scholarship. This is the right thing to do. I think all leagues should allow this.

the question is, does the player use the year of eligibility? How does this impact recruiting and the 85 player max if you start to have a lot of kids sit out?

I doubt we see a lot opt out. I would guess no more than 5% total but I like the thought that the SEc is looking at all options so we can have fall football.

the SEC is also in talks with the ACC to help each other fill gaps on their schedules. Some interesting matchups are being thrown out there.

I could see the NCAA allowing kids who sit out to petition for a medical hardship and a 6th year to play four total.

Your giving me too much forward thinking credit with anterior motives and all that.

Someone said 3 is a little light.
I agreed. I think we have more than that.

Pretty simple.

What were you thinking I was thinking?
A statement on the season?
No, not at all.

There will be football in the fall.

Now go get that other guy.
If anything the university is more than Jim respectable when it comes to its reputation as a health provider. 3 might be low but not completely far fetched. On the other hand, with all the over reaction going on publicly I don't see it hard to believe they would like to keep the numbers in house.
Btw, in the manner that the other guy always invokes my very presence tells you I already tagged and bagged him a long time ago.

If anything the university is more than Jim respectable when it comes to its reputation as a health provider. 3 might be low but not completely far fetched. On the other hand, with all the over reaction going on publicly I don't see it hard to believe they would like to keep the numbers in house.
Btw, in the manner that the other guy always invokes my very presence tells you I already tagged and bagged him a long time ago.

I have confidence in the school as well, but 18-22 year old kids are what that are.

States that have gotten hit hard by C-19 have "cycled-out" in around 12 weeks (except Cali).
I expect that same 12 week cycle in Florida.
Three weeks down, nine to go.

I have confidence in the school as well, but 18-22 year old kids are what that are.

States that have gotten hit hard by C-19 have "cycled-out" in around 12 weeks (except Cali).
I expect that same 12 week cycle in Florida.
Three weeks down, nine to go.
One week differential?

Advertisement
Back