SEC letting players opt out of season

BeastMode

Junior
Haven’t seen this anywhere in the many post that turn political and go off the rails. This is huge news.

all the details haven’t been laid out but news broke yesterday that they are allowing players to opt out of the 2020 season if they feel unsafe and still keep their scholarship. This is the right thing to do. I think all leagues should allow this.

the question is, does the player use the year of eligibility? How does this impact recruiting and the 85 player max if you start to have a lot of kids sit out?

I doubt we see a lot opt out. I would guess no more than 5% total but I like the thought that the SEc is looking at all options so we can have fall football.

the SEC is also in talks with the ACC to help each other fill gaps on their schedules. Some interesting matchups are being thrown out there.

Advertisement
Listen to The Legend. This is EXACTLY what I told you conferences will do in order to avoid liability. They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

You can't avoid liability with waivers unless you give the participants the real option of not playing. If you say, "Sign this waiver, or lose your scholarship" then your waiver will be garbage. If you say, "You have the option of participating or not, but if you participate you will have to sign this waiver. If you opt not to participate and not sign the waiver, you will still be on scholarship" then you will be in a much better position.

I can see the SEC stating if a player chooses to opt out, they’re also forfeiting a year of eligibility as well. Puts the ball in the players court. You’re deciding to still play, while the conference and the schools are immune to any lawsuits for players getting sick because it was their decision to play.

Advertisement
Listen to The Legend. This is EXACTLY what I told you conferences will do in order to avoid liability. They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

You can't avoid liability with waivers unless you give the participants the real option of not playing. If you say, "Sign this waiver, or lose your scholarship" then your waiver will be garbage. If you say, "You have the option of participating or not, but if you participate you will have to sign this waiver. If you opt not to participate and not sign the waiver, you will still be on scholarship" then you will be in a much better position.

This is the way to go for all leagues wanting to play. Optics or not. I doubt many kids even sit out but at least they have the option. Same for coaches. Older coaches, refs etc.... have the option to sit out.

let’s play ball!

If this happens does that mean a spring season is out of the question?

I don’t think we are out of the woods yet with cases still high. I still think we play this fall. Delayed start to the season and 10 games instead of 12. Season won’t start till late September and end by Thanksgiving. Small bowl season and a playoff.

This is the way to go for all leagues wanting to play. Optics or not. I doubt many kids even sit out but at least they have the option. Same for coaches. Older coaches, refs etc.... have the option to sit out.

let’s play ball!
It's window dressing. I doubt you see more than 1% opt out. But the optics are good when you give them that option, and that's all that really matters right now--optics. These fit young athletes are at very little real risk of serious issues from COVID.

Where is this being said?

I believe what you said, I just like reading the stories myself.

Advertisement
Where is this being said?

I believe what you said, I just like reading the stories myself.

Here it is and what’s funny is no one is talking about it. Instead it’s still the same doom and gloom news all day. The positive stuff keeps getting buried by the world is ending people. Not trying to get off track though but this just shows people are only seeing negative cause that’s all that is in the news all day everyday.

https://247sports.com/Article/SEC-h...-out-COVID-19-coronavirus-pandemic-149264202/

903B7CA7-B92C-44E5-B21E-E662EB421AD4.jpeg

Attrition will determine the national champion. If kids wanna opt out that’s fine, the team that is successful in keeping their players healthy and playing will win, not necessarily the best team.

Attrition will determine the national champion. If kids wanna opt out that’s fine, the team that is successful in keeping their players healthy and playing will win, not necessarily the best team.
A new wrinkle into the competition. Let's see who steps up their game. We seem to have things going in the right direction.

Advertisement
Sadly, the teams that have the most infections preseason will likely be the best off. Trying too hard to protect players preseason will likely lead to disastrous consequences once the season starts.

If you develop immunity by catching it, it's almost counter-productive to try to avoid catching it before the season because I see almost no way they keep college kids not in a bubble from catching this. They're going to get it, so they might as well get it preseason.

If the bureaucrats have the stomach for this, then they will have to eventually come to the realization that almost every college football player will catch it. It's impossible to prevent the spread while playing a contact sport like this when you are not isolating players away from the field. College kids plus super contagious virus plus sweaty contact sport equals pretty much 100% spread. Either accept that, or don't even bother trying to start the season.

Sadly, the teams that have the most infections preseason will likely be the best off. Trying too hard to protect players preseason will likely lead to disastrous consequences once the season starts.

If you develop immunity by catching it, it's almost counter-productive to try to avoid catching it before the season because I see almost no way they keep college kids not in a bubble from catching this. They're going to get it, so they might as well get it preseason.

If the bureaucrats have the stomach for this, then they will have to eventually come to the realization that almost every college football player will catch it. It's impossible to prevent the spread while playing a contact sport like this when you are not isolating players away from the field. College kids plus super contagious virus plus sweaty contact sport equals pretty much 100% spread. Either accept that, or don't even bother trying to start the season.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 40 Clemson players have gotten it. They are basically done with it now outside of a few maybe getting it at some parties in the fall.

Miami has had 3 which means they are still out on the hook for it.

Advertisement

Correct all this is just to avoid future liability and the PR nightmare should an outbreak come up. If you’re a junior or senior with nfl aspirations and need more film, this offer means nothing.

Correct all this is just to avoid future liability and the PR nightmare should an outbreak come up. If you’re a junior or senior with nfl aspirations and need more film, this offer means nothing.

If cases keep up over the next two months, by the time they play most cities will have already ran through the virus at this pace.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 40 Clemson players have gotten it. They are basically done with it now outside of a few maybe getting it at some parties in the fall.

Miami has had 3 which means they are still out on the hook for it.
I wouldn't trust that 3 number. Especially given what's going on in Miami.

Advertisement
Back