SEC goes to Washington......

That’s exactly how I see it and I think @ATL Canes and the @TheOriginalCane do too. If it’s “proper NIL” it’s like an endorsement deal. The government doesn’t cap someone’s ability to earn endorsement income.

The problem to me is with some of these collectives and schools doing pay for play under the guise of endorsements in too loose of a manner.

Can I give this post a 100...THOUSAND?

It's frustrating when people misread our posts and assume that NIL "guidelines" and "standards" means salary-capping NIL. It doesn't.

We need to try to keep the NIL income stream separate from any other "compensatory" income stream.

But you know what happened in Ghostbusters when they crossed the streams...

1686247029061.png

Advertisement
That’s exactly how I see it and I think @ATL Canes and the @TheOriginalCane do too. If it’s “proper NIL” it’s like an endorsement deal. The government doesn’t cap someone’s ability to earn endorsement income.

The problem to me is with some of these collectives and schools doing pay for play under the guise of endorsements in too loose of a manner.
No question the NC2A has lost control over this. They could easily have drawn a bright line between actual NIL and what the collectives are doing but they got behind (shock) and as @TheOriginalCane noted, now Pandora’s box(es) are opened and its so hard to close the lid.

So the next question will be, how do national politicians convince their state brethren to roll back the laws the state politicIan’s created to give their state universities the advantage? Keep in mind some, maybe most, of those laws were passed because big shot from University A went to their state congress and begged for competitive equality/advantage over their competition. And were lauded for doing so/. Are they just going to back away from their state laws?
I don’t see anything constructive coming of this with the US Congress and anything that is created will be immediately challenged in court. In a State Court at that. With an elected judge.

No question the NC2A has lost control over this. They could easily have drawn a bright line between actual NIL and what the collectives are doing but they got behind (shock) and as @TheOriginalCane noted, now Pandora’s box(es) are opened and its so hard to close the lid.

So the next question will be, how do national politicians convince their state brethren to roll back the laws the state politicIan’s created to give their state universities the advantage? Keep in mind some, maybe most, of those laws were passed because big shot from University A went to their state congress and begged for competitive equality/advantage over their competition. And were lauded for doing so/. Are they just going to back away from their state laws?
I don’t see anything constructive coming of this with the US Congress and anything that is created will be immediately challenged in court. In a State Court at that. With an elected judge.

You also get a 100...THOUSAND.

That whole final paragraph is why we need federal preemption. NOT because the federal government is inherently better or worse than state governments, but because we need one standard, and all the state-by-state gamesmanship has ****ED THINGS UP.

Scalise: "Welcome, gentlemen, I understand you have some concerns about college football."

Saban: "THERE'S A CUBAN GUY IN MIAMI PAYING PLAYERS BILLIONS AND ALABAMA CAN'T COMPETE."

Scalise: "Yes, sir, I understand that, but can I get a brief summary of the problems you..."

Saban: "DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME, I SAID THAT A TONY MONTANA LOOKALIKE IS ARMED WITH MACHINE GUNS SITTING BEHIND A HUGE PILE OF MONEY!"

Scalise: "OK, so this is a potentially violent situation, then?"

Saban: "CAN'T YOU GUYS DO SOMETHING, YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT IMMIGRATION, CAN'T YOU JUST DENY THIS GUY HIS ASYLUM HEARING?!"

Scalise: "Mr. Saban, I don't see how that is relevant..."

Saban: "YOU GOTTA BUILD A WALL BETWEEN FLORIDA AND CUBA, THERE'S NO WAY FOR MY GENTEEL GENTLEMEN BOOSTERS TO COMPETE!"

Scalise: "I'm sorry, I just realized I have a very important meeting with Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor-Green that I would greatly prefer to this."

Saban: "COME BACK, WE STILL HAVEN'T TALKED ABOUT CUBANS BUYING SPORTS TEAMS, IT'S UN-AMERICAN!"
Scalise: "Go Tigahs!"

Advertisement
I find it hilarious that these $EC powers are begging for fairness. You ***** have been paying players for decades and getting away with it, quit your *****in.

Anybody who wants federal intervention or oversight is bat shiit crazy. The federal system is becoming more and more corrupt every day. Let the states and NCAA figure it out.

Advertisement
I’m against any kind of “cap” or regulation because it would be BAD for Miami.

Think about it - let’s say there’s a cap of a million dollars per player. Miami offers a five star player $1 mil above board. Alabama offers the same player $1 mil PLUS an extra $500k “under the table,” which Miami can’t or won’t do. Player makes a business decision and picks Alabama.

SEC schools made a living for decades when the rules applied to everyone except them. Take away the rules and we’re on even footing.

Ask yourself what Nick Saban’s motivation for all of this is. He’s not going to Washington to promote fairness and parity in the sport, I can guarantee you

Advertisement
Back