SEC goes to Washington......

Advertisement
Each school’s congregation will meet with their state’s delegation, but there are some one-off meetings. For instance, Keenum and Mississippi State officials plan to meet with Sen. Marsha Blackburn, the Republican from Tennessee who is a Mississippi State graduate.

Alabama coach Nick Saban, as well as Sankey, are scheduled to meet with Louisiana Republican Steve Scalise, the House Majority Leader.
Funny you should talk about congregations - the SEC didn't seem to have a problem when money was being funnelled to recruits through churches...

Advertisement
What is the precedent for this.
There isn't in the United States, but at the same time there has not been a maximum wage law ever passed in the United States. So it's theoretical.

But at the same time you could also go about it the same way that Franklin D Roosevelt attempted during World War II. Announce that all college students earning above x threshold will be taxed at 94%. That's what it was during World War II. So in effect you have almost created a maximum wage, but you've avoided saying "no college student is permitted to earn x amount in money". Again, call it the "The Focus On One's Studies Education Enhancement Act".

Or do it at 100%, which was Roosevelt's original proposal.

I used to work with someone who went to WVU undergrad and started her career working in the WVU Athletic Department. She was there when WVU made its bid for the 2012 expansion that included Mizzou and aTm.

She told me a lot of things that went into the presentation, and apparently WVU came very close. Obviously, aTm was a slam-dunk, so the second spot came down to Mizzou and WVU.

Yeah, a whole lot more TV households just from STL to KC than the entire state of West Virginia.

BUT **** Mizzou is an awful fit in the SEC - about as bad as if the Canes were in the Mountain West. Not sure any fans of the other 13 teams would care one iota if the Tigers left the conference tomorrow.

WVU would fit in fine in the SEC, especially if the ACC schools from Virginia and North Carolina end up there once the ACC unravels

Advertisement
Do you want money that you are making to be made public? Particularly if it is not money that you are making at your job (since they are not employeed by the schools).

If the schools made them employees (which they very much don't want to do), then they may need to be public (depending on the states laws).

I honestly wouldn't care. I do see your point though.

There isn't in the United States, but at the same time there has not been a maximum wage law ever passed in the United States. So it's theoretical.

But at the same time you could also go about it the same way that Franklin D Roosevelt attempted during World War II. Announce that all college students earning above x threshold will be taxed at 94%. That's what it was during World War II. So in effect you have almost created a maximum wage, but you've avoided saying "no college student is permitted to earn x amount in money". Again, call it the "The Focus On One's Studies Education Enhancement Act".

Or do it at 100%, which was Roosevelt's original proposal.

Taxing predominantly minority young men and women 94%. Sounds like something Nick Saban would love.

Expect legislation to be wriiten as such...

"Above all other laws of the United States, including policies, agreements, compacts, or any other binders set forth by any organization or member States, Name, Image, and Likeness prohibition shall be in full force for all football teams, with the complete and total exception of the University of Alabama..."

Advertisement
Yeah, a whole lot more TV households just from STL to KC than the entire state of West Virginia.

BUT **** Mizzou is an awful fit in the SEC - about as bad as if the Canes were in the Mountain West. Not sure any fans of the other 13 teams would care one iota if the Tigers left the conference tomorrow.

WVU would fit in fine in the SEC, especially if the ACC schools from Virginia and North Carolina end up there once the ACC unravels

Agreed. I'm from Missouri originally, and I have several relatives who have gone to Mizzou.

The only cultural fit of Mizzou over WVU in the SEC is that Missouri is one of the 13 stars on the Confederate battle flag and West Virginia isn't.

Do you want money that you are making to be made public? Particularly if it is not money that you are making at your job (since they are not employeed by the schools).

If the schools made them employees (which they very much don't want to do), then they may need to be public (depending on the states laws).

Yes, but if this was TRUE TRUE NIL money, that is, money being made for endorsements and whatnot, then it is NOT "salary".

And while I am fiercely protective of salary information, I do think there is a value to establishing a comparative Fair Market Value clearinghouse for NIL deals.

Because I DO THINK that the overall NIL system needs to "know" when a QB is offered $14 million to do almost nothing (Rashada and the Gator Collective).

If NIL can truly be about "endorsements", then I see nothing Many MANY endorsement deals (and values) are widely known for pro athletes, as are salaries too. So we're just getting these kids ready for real life.

Advertisement
Expect legislation to be wriiten as such...

"Above all other laws of the United States, including policies, agreements, compacts, or any other binders set forth by any organization or member States, Name, Image, and Likeness prohibition shall be in full force for all football teams, with the complete and total exception of the University of Alabama..."

1686163407242.png

Because I DO THINK that the overall NIL system needs to "know" when a QB is offered $14 million to do almost nothing (Rashada and the Gator Collective).
Why? Some company decides to give you $1M b/c you made a funny tiktok video; should you be capped or should you have to make that publicly available?

If NIL can truly be about "endorsements", then I see nothing Many MANY endorsement deals (and values) are widely known for pro athletes, as are salaries too. So we're just getting these kids ready for real life.
What endorsement details are publicly known that were not willingly shared by the one of the two parties involved OR b/c they were paid for with government funding?

I understand your point about competitive balance, but I dont think that is the government's place - not if that isn't going to be enforced on everyone (which I very much don't think it should be).

Advertisement
Back