Seattle interviewing Ken Dorsey for OC?

NFL and college games are two completely different animals. Despite NFL being a more advanced level than college, it may be easier to be a first time HC or coordinator at the pro level because of unlimited resources and coaching positions available to mitigate lack of experience. Exception being at a program like Alabama, which is essentially an NFL team.. Also, at pro level, you don't have to worry about recruiting. So, yes, Dorsey is better suited to stick with NFL trajectory.

It's utterly baffling to me that people still even make the comparison. They're different sports. There's a very good reason only three former college HC's have won a Super Bowl.

Playing in a league with tremendous parity vs. one with an astonishing lack of it is a world apart.

Advertisement
And identifying and recruiting them now is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than it was pre-internet. Hence, getting the great players is much more difficult than it used to be, and we're witnessing that change extremely clearly in CFB, where four teams have won the last ten championships (or whatever that actually works out to be).

How did those teams fare in recruiting?

College football is akin to 90's-era Olympic basketball right now. Have the best players and you're gonna win the vast majority of your games, on average, over time.

An eye for talent is still an eye for talent man. Regardless of what time period. Internet didn't change football. (Well it did, but the rules are still the same, still gotta evaluate and develop kids the same.)

Also you're putting up a strawman. Where the did I say I didn't want a strong recruiter? Wanting a CFB head coach with NFL experience, like Ryan Day, PJ Fleck, Kirby Smart, and many others have, does not mean I don't want a great recruiter, not at all. Nor does wanting a NFL coach who last coached in college 5-10 (hypothetically) years ago mean that he cannot become a great evaluator and recruiter. You act as if every NFL coach does not know dozens of college guys who they could fill their staff out with. When we were not getting recruits at certain positions our board yelled at Jethro Franklin and Mike Rumph, not Al Golden and Manny Diaz. And hiring from the college ranks does not led itself to a sustainable recruiting advantage since everyone else is hiring from the college ranks too.

Why would OU and OSU even think of hiring a NFL coach when promoting from within makes 1000x more sense? Our last two promotions from within - from failed regimes nonetheless - were Randy and Manny. Also, in many cases a NFL position coach/coordinator job is much more attractive than a HC job at Boise State or Marshall (ask Kellen Moore and Byron Leftwitch). I'd bet a lot of $ Colorado's first call was to Bieniemy not Tucker.

And ironically the point of hiring a NFL guy, in my mind, is to be better at recruiting! If these coaches keep failing on the field the Jacory Brooks of the world are never going to look our way anyway! A NFL selling point could be unique to a recruit compared to Mike Norvell and Ed O and Dan Mullen and other competitors. That's where they want to end up. Still, any coach we hire is only as good as the weakest links on his staff are.

Manny, Golden, Richt, and Shannon - during the "Internet era" - have all beaten out the big dogs for certain recruits. They've also all missed on a bunch of great 3/4* players right under their nose. The most attractive part of the Miami job is the accessibility to recruits. We need stronger roster management in regards to evaluations and development of said recruits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will preface this by saying Manny will be the head coach at the start of the 2022 season without a doubt in my mind....after that though, tbd.

I want someone with college and NFL experience, preferably more NFL than college. NFL OC with good passing concepts. Or an personable DC with a strong body of work. That can instill discipline on every play and in practice. Ken Dorsey, Joe Brady, Raheem Morris, Byron Leftwitch, Ken Norton Jr. - would love to see these guys get interviews next go around. Hiring from the college ranks ain't cutting it for me. Problem with Dorey, Brady, and Leftwitch (black coorindators ain't getting hired as quickly) is offensive minds in their 30s are getting snatched up quickly for NFL HC jobs.

Raheem Morris is a guy that I have thought a lot about as an out of the box hire.

He was too green for the bucks job but his personality seems like a fit here from what I have seen.

I think he would recruit well.

Raheem Morris is a guy that I have thought a lot about as an out of the box hire.

He was too green for the bucks job but his personality seems like a fit here from what I have seen.

I think he would recruit well.

Fully agree. All I'm saying is he is the perfect candidate to try to get in the interview room and see what his five year plan is.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would absolutely love to get Dorsey here.

He has worked for some great offensive minds.

Cam and Allen have had their best years with him as QB coach.

Get it done Flores.
Would be better fit working with Tua than Wilson. What could he possibly do with Wilson who has probably maxed out in his abilities? Tua still has some room for growth.

Would be better fit working with Tua than Wilson. What could he possibly do with Wilson who has probably maxed out in his abilities? Tua still has some room for growth.

Miami - more development + entering a familiar locale + maybe more offensive freedom
Seattle - potential of multiple years of a top 10 offense which could lead to a quicker HC offer + championship aspirations right away

Advertisement
Miami - more development + entering a familiar locale + maybe more offensive freedom
Seattle - potential of multiple years of a top 10 offense which could lead to a quicker HC offer + championship aspirations right away
+ ability to build the offense through the upcoming draft on a talented young team (with the best defense in football) built to compete for years to come.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hate Russel Wilson. But no way I turn down the opportunity to work with him and DK to go to Miami. Don't get me wrong...I hope he does...but logical decision would be go to Seattle.

I hate Russel Wilson. But no way I turn down the opportunity to work with him and DK to go to Miami. Don't get me wrong...I hope he does...but logical decision would be go to Seattle.
For real. And the opportunity to work under Pete. And maybe if it goes well you have the inside track at the head job after he retires

Seriously doubt he gets it, but still a good look by teams will one day pay off.

Advertisement
Back