Scrimmage two thoughts

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Pretty exciting scrimmage. Both sides had their moments and the competition level was high. Like before, it was 1s versus 2s.

Brad Kaaya was dealing. He hit beautiful passes down the field to Coley and Berrios and was accurate with his shorter throws, allowing his receivers to catch the ball with momentum and run after the catch. He took what the defense gave him and had several solid gainers checking down to Yearby. His only mistake was an attempted heave out of bounds under pressure that landed in Malek Young's lap for a pick.

The backup QB situation is still up in the air after an unproductive day. Malik Rosier missed some wide open targets and Evan Shirreffs never got going. All four guys were live (the defense could hit them) and Shirreffs was impressive running for a couple first downs. I would give him the edge over Rosier based on decision-making, height and consistent accuracy. They are closer than you'd think in terms of athleticism.

The running game was better than last scrimmage. Mark Walton looked decisive running the ball and took a RB screen to the house from about 30 yards out against the 3rd team. Gus Edwards and Joe Yearby had some decent gainers and contributed in the passing game. The eye-opener was Travis Homer. He had a long run against the 1s that he broke up the middle and popped outside. Very good speed (best in the RB group) and good toughness for a true freshman. He reminds me of Ryan Mathews in terms of his size, straight-line speed and running style. Marquez Williams caught a TD during red-zone work and freed up Walton on another crushing block.

The starting receivers all showed out. Stacy Coley caught a deep ball TD on a nice adjustment and another TD on a catch and run for about 20 yards. He looks like a senior. For most of camp, Braxton Berrios has surprisingly looked better on the outside than in the slot. He is great at tracking the ball and has enough strength to win battles out there. Dayall Harris had two TDs on catch-and-runs and looks to be solidifying the starting spot at split end. Ahmmon Richards got a handful of snaps but needs to rest his toe. Sam Bruce had a first down on a swing pass where he showed good burst. I didn't see Malcolm Lewis out there so I suspect he's nicked up.

The tight ends were fairly quiet. David Njoku and Chris Herndon both had moments where they fought for extra yards but otherwise they took a backseat tonight.

The first team offensive line gave Kaaya plenty of room to work, but the second and third team struggled. That's been the story of camp for this group. There were too many big TFLs and easy sacks given up by the backups.

The defensive line made a lot of big plays, as usual. Gerald Willis was the star and had multiple TFLs and a couple sacks. He made plays against both the 1s and the 2s. Anthony Moten also flashed some quickness blowing up a couple plays in the backfield. Chad Thomas and Al-Quadin Muhammed were strong against the run and each chased down a couple plays from the backside.

Linebacker is getting into dangerous territory depth-wise. Without Mike Pinckney and Darrion Owens, this group is thin. Shaq Quarterman is special and Jermaine Grace had a good scrimmage, but the other LBs looked overmatched at times. Jamie Gordinier does a solid, reliable job and should start at WILL if Pinckney and Owens don't heal up.

The starting safeties were good, as they have been all camp. Jaquan Johnson was particularly productive-- he came in on dime situations in the box and was very active, including a sack and a pressure. I'm still waiting for someone to emerge from the freshmen. Cedrick Wright just got here and is way behind, but his quickness and instincts popped on a couple tackles he made. He is one to watch. Robert Knowles had a very rough day tackling and may still be hurt.

The corners were solid. Corn Elder, Sheldrick Redwine and Adrian Colbert are a strong top three. Colbert impressed me by flying from across the field and making multiple tacks outside of his zone. He has 4.4 speed and he competes. Malek Young intercepted an ill-advised Kaaya pass and continues to make plays. I would like to see him moved to the next level of competition so he's covering guys like Coley every day in practice.

Overall, I like what I saw. The different between this team and past teams is QBs, playcaller, DL and DL coach. We are now strong at all four of those spots. That will take you far in college football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for the feedback & analysis D$!

Do do you think we'll try to add any Grad transfer LB's? It sounds like we might really need some...

Can anyone explain what is the advantage of 1 vs 2 over 1 v 1 it would seem our first team o line would benefit from going against the first team d line so what's the advantage of going against back ups

Can anyone explain what is the advantage of 1 vs 2 over 1 v 1 it would seem our first team o line would benefit from going against the first team d line so what's the advantage of going against back ups

Today was the last day they are doing that according to Richt. Said the team will now be doing 1v1 in prep for game week.

Thanks, D$.

I feel for Rosier. I'll be that guy and say we shouldn't have ever recruited him. I wasn't sold when Coley liked him for his system. I'm surprised we are taking two LB's in the 2017 recruiting class considering the lack of depth in that position. Hopefully we get more.

Advertisement
Thx Pete

Still don't know why they do 1 vs 2 when its all about competition and you should be competing against the best. Is it so the first team o line gained confidence before going against the 1s

1 v 1 rarely happens until bowl practices.

I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it's true for the vast majority of NCAA programs

I believe it's because this way you're challenging the 2nd team players to improve by going against the 1st team players and thus creating quality depth. It's not something you do during the season but a good strategy for the off season.

Testing depth...

You can see how good your 2's on Defense are vs the 1's on O & see how good your 2's on Offense are vs the 1's on D.

Advertisement
Game 4 vs. Georgia Tech - We'll know how the linebackers are then...

These practice and scrimmage summaries are awesome, and also the roster breakdown on the podcast a little while ago. Thanks!

Great write up. All summer my biggest concern regarding this team has been at linebacker....and D Money's post pretty much backs that up. I know Quarterman is a special talent but anytime a freshman walks onto campus and his path to being a starter is as easy as it's been for him tells you how desperate we are for linebacker depth. Nothing against Quarterman cause I know he's going to be a stud...but it's unfair to throw a kid into the fire like that at such a cerebral position. Everything seems great now but I'm really worried that when we play the good teams on the schedule our linebackers are going to get eaten alive.

It's not a knock on the talent, it's just reality. When you have to rely on that many freshman on one position unit it points to trouble at some point in the season. The hope is that the D-Line dominates and makes their life as easy as possible...but against the better teams on the schedule it just isn't going to be that easy to hide them.

Overall I'm really optimistic about this team. We're strong at quarterback and D-line , and usually when that's the case and you have a good coaching staff it points to a good season. Even with the depth issues at linebacker I'd be really shocked if this team doesn't win at least 9 or 10 games.

The situation with Grace and the resolution that comes from it is going to have a huge impact on what happens this season. Let's keep our fingers crossed it's only a suspension that lasts a couple of games.

Thanks, D$.

I feel for Rosier. I'll be that guy and say we shouldn't have ever recruited him. I wasn't sold when Coley liked him for his system. I'm surprised we are taking two LB's in the 2017 recruiting class considering the lack of depth in that position. Hopefully we get more.

At least the second unit will get better

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for the insight D$

I yearn for the day where we can have posts like this without the underlying tone of cautious optimism

We're solid at QB/RB/TE/DL

Everything else is going to be a ? going into the 4th game of the season

Hopefully we will have our sh*t together by then

Last edited:
Advertisement
scary stuff at Lb. grace in limbo & owens not 100%..We might be starting 3 true freshman. which may be a blessing cuz in year 3 we'll have the best defense in the nation.

Advertisement
Back