Scrimmage stats

If this is "typical at this time of the year" like coach Richt described ...could mean it was more like a SEC scrim....up and down fast pace...High velocity football... I love it! Once they eliminate penalties this team is going to be tough.. I'm so glad the Golden era is over!!!!!

Advertisement
Everybody should take all the stats with a grain of salt. If anyone here has played football High School or College you must have particapted in a spring football game at whatever level you played at and it is common knowledge that NOBODY touches the quarterback so the sacks were most likely plays blown dead and there are plays where then O-Line will get beat but they continue to let the play run.

Also those commenting on the YPC, unless you were at the scrimmage nobody knows the context of the way the Running Backs were used. For all we know Gus was only used on short yardage/goaline plays while yearby-walton were used driving down the field. We also have no idea who played against the 2s or 3s.

This is the 9th practice of the spring and everyone is crowning or dethroning our current players. I think to get a better judgement on player performance we should at least wait for the real spring game in the upcoming months (even then the D-Line will still have some sort of a leash in attacking the QB). We all know if Brad Kayaa gets hurt the season takes a turn for the worst, the QB's wear a different colored jersey for a reason folks.

The last part to note is, if you did infact play football in College or High School it's common knowledge the defense will have the upperhand at this time of the year.

Last edited:
Everybody should take all the stats with a grain of salt. If anyone here has played football High School or College you must have particapted in a spring football game at whatever level you played at and it is common knowledge that NOBODY touches the quarterback so the sacks were most likely plays blown dead and there are plays where then O-Line will get beat but they continue to let the play run.

Also those commenting on the YPC, unless you were at the scrimmage nobody knows the context of the way the Running Backs were used. For all we know Gus was only used on short yardage/goaline plays while yearby-walton were used driving down the field. We also have no idea who played against the 2s or 3s.

This is the 9th practice of the spring and everyone is crowning or dethroning our current players. I think to get a better judgement on player performance we should at least wait for the real spring game in the upcoming months (even then the D-Line will still have some sort of a leash in attacking the QB). We all know if Brad Kayaa gets hurt the season takes a turn for the worst, the QB's wear a different colored jersey for a reason folks.

The last part to note is, if you did infact play football in College or High School it's common knowledge the defense will have the upperhand at this time of the year.

^^This

Sorry to be that guy, but 12-21? 180 yards? I really need to see BK start driving the ball down field more. Last year, he went to his check down so fast, and even still had OK completion pct. He needs to make some serious strides for me to buy this first round draft grade people are trying to give him. And again, I do not see the arm strength to drive in a deep out. Maybe he has it, but I have not seen many. I think he has good arm strength not great. Overall sounds like a typical scrimmage, some big plays both ways. Some picks, some sacks, some TDs. Ok rushing numbers. Who knows how that yards were accumulated.

Love the dude trying to crown Yearby over Gus. Honestly, I think they should be a good tandem. But everyone finds the need to choose one over the other. And all the sofla dudes cannot fathom a solid RB not from the 305. I think both will be around 750-900 yards this year if they stay healthy. Probably on the lower side of that because I see Walton and Choc getting some run too.

Numbers look good for Coley. We need a roided out version of his Freshman year.

That's 15yrds per pass for Kaaya, boss. Not bad at all and Richt said he only threw one bad ball with 2 bombs mixed in. Richt said his accuracy % will be higher than his completion %.

The kid is correcting a QB/Offensive Guru on protections for an offense guru has been running for over a decade...

Not to mention he was rookie of the year in ACC and broke several school records at QB[]_[] as a true freshman. What's not to like? Strides?

A QB doesn't need a cannon when he sees the game and plays the position at a high level. See Peyton Manning.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's laughable at people trying to sh*t on Gus when even the head coach(richt) who has coached knowshon moreno, gurley, Chubb and Sony Michel has said that Edwards has some ability. Let it play out he's coming off a bad foot injury and was probably running with the 1s. It will take some more practices for him to get into form

Last edited:
I thought richt said somewhere that they would start on the 25. If the offense hasn't scored in 8 plays, the next unit comes in. If they score in 3, they get to go again until they hit 8.

Sorry to be that guy, but 12-21? 180 yards? I really need to see BK start driving the ball down field more. Last year, he went to his check down so fast, and even still had OK completion pct. He needs to make some serious strides for me to buy this first round draft grade people are trying to give him. And again, I do not see the arm strength to drive in a deep out. Maybe he has it, but I have not seen many. I think he has good arm strength not great. Overall sounds like a typical scrimmage, some big plays both ways. Some picks, some sacks, some TDs. Ok rushing numbers. Who knows how that yards were accumulated.

Love the dude trying to crown Yearby over Gus. Honestly, I think they should be a good tandem. But everyone finds the need to choose one over the other. And all the sofla dudes cannot fathom a solid RB not from the 305. I think both will be around 750-900 yards this year if they stay healthy. Probably on the lower side of that because I see Walton and Choc getting some run too.

If the playbook anything like Richt has run at Georgia then you'll see more dink and dunk passing with a pro style run game. That would lead to numbers where Kaaya has less than 10 YPA. Richt has based his playbook off the Shallow Cross. Making the LB's react to the WR and TE cross. If they play the deep cross behind them, Kaaya dumps it to the short crosser in front of them picking up 7-8 yards a play. It's a blitz beater and quick read.

Go look at Aaron Murray's stats. He averaged 15 yards per completion. So did Stafford. Even Lambert, last year, averaged 12.

Yards per completion is such a terrible stat to use to evaluate anything in a QB. It doesn't prove anything and it is extremely misleading.

Advertisement

If the playbook anything like Richt has run at Georgia then you'll see more dink and dunk passing with a pro style run game. That would lead to numbers where Kaaya has less than 10 YPA. Richt has based his playbook off the Shallow Cross. Making the LB's react to the WR and TE cross. If they play the deep cross behind them, Kaaya dumps it to the short crosser in front of them picking up 7-8 yards a play. It's a blitz beater and quick read.

Go look at Aaron Murray's stats. He averaged 15 yards per completion. So did Stafford. Even Lambert, last year, averaged 12.

15 per completion is nice, but I'm not talking about Yards Per Completion. I'm talking Yards Per Attempt. That's usually a very good indicator of where you're throwing the ball or how short you're running your passes. Kaaya was 12 completions for 181 which makes his YPC 15.08, in essence a first down every completion. Sounds really good right? Now we don't know how much YAC/RAC is accumulated after the completion, so let's say it's just dead at point of the catch. Now looking at the YPA which is 181 yards on 21 attempts makes it drop down to 8.6 YPA. Not great but not bad, and would lead to point to a short passing attack. Ideally you'd hope that the YPA is 9.3 or 9.4 as you're then hitting a first down almost every attempt.

But just for reference, here is the top 5 QBs YPC and YPA last year from NCAA.com

Vernon Adams JR 10.60 YPA (Oregon)*played ten games only
Kevin Hogan 9.43 YPA (Stanford)
Baker Mayfield 9.37 YPA (Oklahoma)
Brandon Doughty 9.36 YPA (WKU)
Brandon Allen 9.30 YPA (Arkansas)

Justin Thomas 17.93 YPC (GT)
Vernon Adams JR 15.73 YPC (Oregon)
Brandon Harris 14.53 YPC (LSU)
Nate Sudfeld 14.47 YPC (Indiana)
Jeff Driskel 14.35 YPC (Louisiana Tech)

That's the top five YPA in the FBS last year. Kaaya is down the list at 24 with an 8.31 YPA and 29 with a 13.56 YPC. Grayson Lambert was even lower at 7.65 YPA and 12.09 YPC. How many of those QBS in the YPC group would you consider elite or great? Maybe Adams, but it's a stretch to call him great.

Now, it's not exact as certain plays skew the numbers but it does give a general idea of where the QB is throwing the ball.

Last edited:
It's laughable at people trying to sh*t on Gus when even the head coach(richt) who has coached knowshon moreno, gurley, Chubb and Sony Michel has said that Edwards has some ability. Let it play out he's coming off a bad foot injury and was probably running with the 1s. It will take some more practices for him to get into form

Don't be so sensitive. Guy has been labeled all kinds of things and hasn't lived up to a lot of the hype some have given him. He isn't a bad player, he is what he is to this point, and why people don't accept that Ill never understand.

My post was a jab at all those making outlandish predictions. Why would he be running with the 1's when he's never been option one? You compound that silly assumption saying he needs more time to get back to form. News flash, his from has been where he was....the third option at best.

Guy has been misused from day one. We will see what the new staff has in store for him and I hope it works out for him.

Don't be so sensitive. Guy has been labeled all kinds of things and hasn't lived up to a lot of the hype some have given him. He isn't a bad player, he is what he is to this point, and why people don't accept that Ill never understand.

My post was a jab at all those making outlandish predictions. Why would he be running with the 1's when he's never been option one? You compound that silly assumption saying he needs more time to get back to form. News flash, his from has been where he was....the third option at best.

Guy has been misused from day one. We will see what the new staff has in store for him and I hope it works out for him.

He's better than Mark Walton for sure at running back...

It's laughable at people trying to sh*t on Gus when even the hea
d coach(richt) who has coached knowshon moreno, gurley, Chubb and Sony Michel has said that Edwards has some ability. Let it play out he's coming off a bad foot injury and was probably running with the 1s. It will take some more practices for him to get into form

Thank you ^

Advertisement
More importantly than the Golden era being over is the fact the administrations "going cheap with hirings" is over. Firing Golden means nothing if they replace him with scrub #4 . They actually hired one of the darn best in the business.
If this is "typical at this time of the year" like coach Richt described ...could mean it was more like a SEC scrim....up and down fast pace...High velocity football... I love it! Once they eliminate penalties this team is going to be tough.. I'm so glad the Golden era is over!!!!!

In all fairness to Gus Edwards, how do we KNOW what he is at this point? He was an average back his true freshman year. He improved his sophomore year. He missed all last year, and this is his first year with a real coaching staff. I'm excited for all of our players finally getting a real chance to shine. I'm not holding anything they did under Golden, Coley, and D'Onofrio against them. It's clean slate time.

Everyone needs to chill on trying to dissect the numbers without seeing the TAPE. We have no way of knowing who matched up against who and which players really looked legit without seeing the FILM.

Until we get to see these scrimmages live, let's not crown anyone or shtt on anyone.

Advertisement
Everyone needs to chill on trying to dissect the numbers without seeing the TAPE. We have no way of knowing who matched up against who and which players really looked legit without seeing the FILM.

Until we get to see these scrimmages live, let's not crown anyone or shtt on anyone.

Brad Kaaya only took reps against the ones per Richt...Anyone else is guessing

The only thing that matters to me is what our 3rd down conversion percentage is this year that is where we lost majority of our games. We improve that and tighten up the defense will be in the ACC Championship game!

It is not the Kaaya that has time that I'm worried about. It's the Kaaya with happy feet after he gets hit in the mouth that's the concern. By all reports he is doing well with what is asked of him right now. Which is all we could really ask for at present.

Advertisement
Back