Scrimmage Report (Palm Beach)

View as article
Big plays happen but when you constantly bring pressure and blitzes it makes the Offense sweat and gives your defense a chance to make big plays as well (sacks, TFL's, INTS, fumbles etc.) I would much rather give up a 30 yard gain and then get a 10 yard sack for loss then watch our team get leaned on for 80 yards in 10 plays all game.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, though. Getting a 10 yard sack but allowing a 30 yard gain still nets 20 yards for the offense.

If it's one thing I can't stand (as a DC) is coordinators who roll the dice for the sake of "bringing pressure" only to strike out and allow a huge play. I'd rather be "sound".

You do realize that every time a DC calls a blitz, its a roll of the dice right?

You do realize that I coach, right?

You do realize that there's ways to dial up a blitz without leaving yourself too vulnerable, right?

You do realize that there's situations and formations that you can blitz against and not leave yourself vulnerable at all, right? (i.e. against trips)

You do realize that there are ideal situation when (and when not) to blitz, right?

There's strategic ways to blitzing where it's NOT a roll of the dice.

You coach for a school that lost to McArthur. Relax, guy.

:eek:h_gif_kid::reaction:

Advertisement
Maybe I'm (we're) overreacting. I just think it's a little odd that we allowed so many rushing yards. This is the same offensive line that couldn't run the ball at all against our defense last spring.

I was always under the impression that good defensive teams usually dominate team scrimmages.

Yeah, cuz its not like richt isn't one of the best play callers to EVER do it. It's not like our offensive coaching overall isn't better from last year.

I see your points but I think you're overreacting.

O-line getting better is a good thing and I don't believe its an indictment on the defense.

I don't give a **** how good of a play caller someone is. Running the ball is about physicality, pursuit and gap responsibility. You can either stop the run or you can't. No grey area.

Any time you're getting gashed in the running game it's an indictment on the defense.

Guess what, we'll be seeing some good play callers this upcoming season. Guys who are slightly more innovative than Richt. They won't be running the **** I-formation.

Got It.... Any time Todd Gurley gashes a defense its not bc of how great of a RB he is, its just the defenses fault.

You didn't ask for my opinion, but the fact everyone has been giving the guy glowing reviews since he got here, I'd say he must be pretty good. The first game he ever started in high school, he ran for a 40+ yard TD. After the game his coach said he didn't think he could do that. Evan's response was something like, "I told you I could run." I love that kind of mentality. The kid is 6'5" 210, give or take, and isn't afraid to run. God what a welcome sight that is around here. I think he'll be really, really good for us, not just the best guy out of a bad bunch.
Brad needs to not try to be a hero. He needs to get through progressions and check down. Move the ball and play the next down. I saw one play where he had Herndon uncovered in the flat with LBs dropping but didn't throw the ball until he was about to be sacked. He needs to recognize that as soon as the LBs drop the flats are open and get the ball there. This bothers me from him because I think it's his character, but I realize this is practice 12 and Richt has plenty of time to correct that.

Sherrifs is gonna be number 2. He's got the physical tools and experience. Rosier isn't responding well, Allison is too young, and Testaverde isn't as gifted physically. Sheriffs also seems the best prepared by demonstrating the best command of the offense. He gets the team lined up, and the ball comes out with purpose. He knows where the ball is supposed to go and gets it there.

For all the concern about yards gained in the scrimmage, it's the 12th practice. I'm sure the kids will all get better over the next several months when they work on their own and take ownership of the system before going into fall camp. Leadership over the summer will determine how much SWAG we have and how far this team will go. This is where I expect brad to excel. On defense we need that Ed Reed type of leader to QB the defense, and it will be interesting to see who emerges.

Reinforcements, very talented reinforcements are coming at DL,DB,WR,RB,OL. No need to fret. The competition will go up another level come fall. Kids will have mastered the system. Hopefully they'll remain healthy and we'll be ready to get after it.

JRS is putting on the roof and it's gonna be lit for FSU. Hopefully we go to GT, stay healthy, and come home undefeated vs FSU. I fully expect this team to win between 9 and 11 games. We have the talent. We have the coaches.

:q3XKXeX:Relax. It's only practice 12.

Thanks for giving that detail. Seriously, no sarcasm, I appreciate you giving your impressions of the QB situation from the scrimmage.

And I hope you are right about the positives Shirreffs brings. I want us to have quality QB depth!

But my question continues to be: Is the kid good, or is he just the best of what we have behind Kaaya?

Because simply being the best of what we have behind Kaaya doesn't automatically translate to being "good". I didn't think I needed to spell that out, but for guys hyping Shirreffs just because he's better than (no disrespect intended - descriptors used for emphasis) a spread QB from Alabama who Auburn didn't want, a too skinny EE true freshman, and a walk-on who wouldn't be on this team, except for his last name ... That's not really saying much, IMO.

But I'll drop the debate on this topic ... No matter the opinion, the answer won't be revealed until the kid actually gets game time.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, though. Getting a 10 yard sack but allowing a 30 yard gain still nets 20 yards for the offense.

If it's one thing I can't stand (as a DC) is coordinators who roll the dice for the sake of "bringing pressure" only to strike out and allow a huge play. I'd rather be "sound".

You do realize that every time a DC calls a blitz, its a roll of the dice right?

You do realize that there's ways to dial up a blitz without leaving yourself too vulnerable, right?

You do realize that there's situations and formations that you can blitz against and not leave yourself vulnerable at all, right? (i.e. against trips)

You do realize that there are ideal situation when (and when not) to blitz, right?

dammit mane, that's why his team only wins one game a year. he's the latino version of Dorito

Well Richt did lose to a so called Florida team last year... Nobody can explain that loss tho..

I can because I was at the game. Florida won because UGA started Faton Bauta at QB and it was quite literally the worst QB performance I have ever witnessed in person. UGA's OC was trash, why do you think Smart let him go when he got hired. Bauta is a spread QB and he was trying to run a pro offense with the worst OC in CFB. Evan Sherriffs>>>>>>>>>>>Faton Bauta.
So Treon>>sherriffs bauta?

Advertisement
Big plays happen but when you constantly bring pressure and blitzes it makes the Offense sweat and gives your defense a chance to make big plays as well (sacks, TFL's, INTS, fumbles etc.) I would much rather give up a 30 yard gain and then get a 10 yard sack for loss then watch our team get leaned on for 80 yards in 10 plays all game.

That's funny. Last time I coached against McArthur my defense didn't even allow a 1st down. Maybe you know my resume better than I do though.

Remind me of where you coach again.

Maybe I'm (we're) overreacting. I just think it's a little odd that we allowed so many rushing yards. This is the same offensive line that couldn't run the ball at all against our defense last spring.

I was always under the impression that good defensive teams usually dominate team scrimmages.

Yeah, cuz its not like richt isn't one of the best play callers to EVER do it. It's not like our offensive coaching overall isn't better from last year.

O-line getting better is a good thing and I don't believe its an indictment on the defense.

I don't give a **** how good of a play caller someone is. Running the ball is about physicality, pursuit and gap responsibility. You can either stop the run or you can't. No grey area.

Any time you're getting gashed in the running game it's an indictment on the defense.

Guess what, we'll be seeing some good play callers this upcoming season. Guys who are slightly more innovative than Richt. They won't be running the **** I-formation.

You must not be that successful of a DC if you dont care how good a playcaller is. The game is 70% mental. I'm sure you know that. The more you think the harder it is to play. Great playcallers make defenses think which also opens up holes that aren't made with talent. Add in talent and a good defense gets gashed.

I watched a redshirt freshman jameis Winston with a master playcaller light up FSU defense in the spring game. Only to have FSU end the year with a championship and a number 1 ranked defense.

So again, an offense with great talent with a master playcaller will gash even the best defenses.

And lol at us playing ANYONE with the level of success richt has had. More innovative? Name one friggin coach more innovative and with the success to match it.

Shallow cross offense is richts specialty. Which is ran more out of shotgun than anything.
So you can chill tf out guy.

Your concern is unwarranted.

So because Coley ran plays into the teeth of a terrible defense to make Donofrio look better last spring you think its an indictment on this years defense?

Nah you're right, I'm terrible. Having the 5th ranked defense in 8A football with a bunch of kids who can barely tackle air makes me a terrible coach. LOL

Look at the context I made that statement in. Did I say that I don't care what kind of play caller someone is when facing an offense in general? (no)

And if you think some of these new coaches in the ACC aren't as innovative as Richt then you don't know WTF you're looking at. Nobody said anything about success.

Advertisement

Got It.... Any time Todd Gurley gashes a defense its not bc of how great of a RB he is, its just the defenses fault.

Cause Yearby, Walton and Gray are all on Todd Gurley's level.

dammit mane, that's why his team only wins one game a year. he's the latino version of Dorito

How many games your team win last season? Oh, wait.

Do you think we can win more than one game per year at Bradenton Southeast? I sure hope so dude. Can you give some advice on how to be successful?

And when did I become Latino?

Do you think we can win more than one game per year at Bradenton Southeast? I sure hope so dude. Can you give some advice on how to be successful?

lol... Dude I coach pop warner mane, I help the inner city kids out, but I bet my pop warner team would probably run trains on your high school team. "*****"

lol... Dude I coach pop warner mane, I help the inner city kids out, but I bet my pop warner team would probably run trains on your high school team. "*****"

You coach Pop Warner.

I rest my case. LOL

Advertisement
[MENTION=1128]BigDikCane[/MENTION] what Pop Warner team you coach? I wanna come check yall out. I need pointers on how to run the 5-2 defense.

Lol great point bc Todd Gurley is the bar for how talented u gotta be to beat a defense -_-

Lol great point bc Todd Gurley is the bar for how talented u gotta be to beat a defense -_-
you just made that reference the post before...

Advertisement
Back on track...

Every blitz is not a roll of the dice.

There's certain blitzes that are safer than others...against certain formations...in certain situations...etc etc etc.

That is all.

Thanks for the report DMoney! I didn't hear anyone here say Pickney would be ready to compete like he's doing already. This leaves me to believe Malek Young, Cedric Wright and Jeff James could be ready to help at CB as well. Young is a legit 5'10 190 (ESPN profile) capable of playiing nickel and outside. IMO In the Army AA game he held his own against top notch tall WR competition...he has the footwork, speed, strength, and athleticism to play right away.IMO somebody please tell me why he didn't get a 4th star?

No disrespect but how does Pickney's performance lead you to believe anything about Young, Weight and James? How are they related in any way? Just because things have clicked very early on for Pickney does not in any way suggest that the same will happen with the aforementioned DB's. Do I hope it clicks for those three? **** yes but we really have no way of knowing until they get here and do it in pads.

You usually see one in almost every class. That is a player that comes in and makes the transition to the college game almost immediately upon arrival. The interesting thing is that it's not always the most highly regarded players that do this. Sure Pickney was well regarded coming in but no one could have predicted that he would be in the process of locking down the Will position in his freshman year.

Advertisement
Back