Scrimmage Report (Palm Beach)

View as article
Maybe I'm (we're) overreacting. I just think it's a little odd that we allowed so many rushing yards. This is the same offensive line that couldn't run the ball at all against our defense last spring.

I was always under the impression that good defensive teams usually dominate team scrimmages.

Yeah, cuz its not like richt isn't one of the best play callers to EVER do it. It's not like our offensive coaching overall isn't better from last year.

I see your points but I think you're overreacting.

O-line getting better is a good thing and I don't believe its an indictment on the defense.

Advertisement
So did Yearby and Walton play 1st and 2nd team? Well, let's measure the ones success. We can agree that Yearby and Walton are ones and two's respectfully, right? So if Yearby had 10 carries for 63 yards and Walton had 3 carries for 40 yards, that's 13 carries for 103 yards that the first and second team gave up. Of which 61% of the 103 combined yards between the two came against the first team. How can this be good? You guys are in denial, the LB play is not getting it done.

Its not just the Lbs. That means the d-line isnt getting good penetration vs the run and or is getting pushed around.

Stop blaiming it on the Dline they got good penetration all day. Look at each of those breaks not one LB in the screen. If you had one close I would say they are making progress but to see not one come close to making a tackle is concerning.

You can get too much penetration which opens up holes. The few long gains I saw on video were because of that. When you have an aggressive DL you can trapped to death. That's where Coach Kool comes in. It'll get better.

Yea, thats true too. Stopping the run is a issue for these players though because they have never stopped it since they have been on campus.

No offense to you guys. But either you're not looking at each of these runs in full screen mode and slowing the video down or you simply don't understand the LB's responsibilities. In each of the first four runs listed on page one of this thread you can see: 52, 51 and 34 all get put on their ***; 52, 51 get put on their *** and 37 got beat to the corner by Gus; 44, 35 and 48 couldn't get off blocks; 48, 35 and 41 couldn't get off blocks.

Penetration by the DLine has nothing to do with seams creating big runs off tackle. That is just LB's failing to read the play before the OGs get off the line, then failing to get off the blocks, and failing to make the tackles. I know you guys are trying to regurgitate what the coach mentioned last week about seams being created when the Dline don't move at the same speed creating natural gaps. But he is referring to runs up the middle not out side the tackles.

Last edited:
I'd be incredibly shocked if we won 9-10 games.

I'd guess 8-4

So you'd be incredibly shocked if we ended up winning one more game than what you are predicting?

Is your scientific method for coming up with a W/L prediction so precise that it would be shocking to have it be off by one game?

I would be. Whereas I wouldn't if we only won 7.
UNC, FSU, ND are losses - those teams are just way ahead of us right now. So we'd have to win the rest of the ACC games on our schedule to go 9-3.

People say we have a favorable schedule but I see a pretty brutal middle of the season schedule for us.
@ GT, FSU, UNC, @ VT, @ ND
5 tough games in a row. The 2 most favorable wins there are both on the road (GT, VT).

How is UNC so far ahead of us? They beat us last year badly, but we beat them badly the year before, it's also at home.

FSU has barely scraped by us 2 years in a row, again another home game for Miami. Yes they havge been ahead of us, but that talent gap has closed quite a bit(starters are really close), and we have the better QB.

The hiring of Gene Chizik changed them. They now have a really solid defense to match Fedora's offensive system. Hence why they went 8-0 in the ACC and 11-1 overall last year. They also played Clemson right down to the wire and if not for a bad off-side call at the end of the game they would've had chance to win it.

That = so far ahead of us.

I'm hoping it's Chizik's last season, but until then we are in trouble.

Gene chizik allowed 300+ rushing yards to a team with no QB and had a month to prepare.

FAIL.

unc is not far ahead of anyone. They had a favorable schedule with a senior QB. But lost every meaningful game. Foh and sit down somewhere

It doesn't have to be one or the other, though. Getting a 10 yard sack but allowing a 30 yard gain still nets 20 yards for the offense.

If it's one thing I can't stand (as a DC) is coordinators who roll the dice for the sake of "bringing pressure" only to strike out and allow a huge play. I'd rather be "sound".

You do realize that every time a DC calls a blitz, its a roll of the dice right?

You do realize that I coach, right?

You do realize that there's ways to dial up a blitz without leaving yourself too vulnerable, right?

You do realize that there's situations and formations that you can blitz against and not leave yourself vulnerable at all, right? (i.e. against trips)

You do realize that there are ideal situation when (and when not) to blitz, right?

There's strategic ways to blitzing where it's NOT a roll of the dice.

Every blitz is a roll of the dice / you act like Coach Diaz just calls blitzes for the fk of it without some sort of thought process / strategy behind it.

Since this is chess and not little league checkers, there is a coach on the other side of the football that is doing the same thing THINKING which means calling a **** blitz is always a roll of the dice.... Show me a great DC that's never given up a big play / plays? Who, you?
show me a DC that's never given up a big play?? So big plays are only given up on blitzes?? Dude you're wrong and [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] is right, there's ways to protect yourself on blitzes he's right and you're wrong but knowing from previous conversations you think you know everything about football and hate being told you're wrong anyways. You roll the dice EVERY PLAY not just on blitzes, that's why there's different schemes and philosophies within a scheme.

Who said big plays are only given up on blitzes no one said that??

Last edited:
It appears the urban legend of Evan Shirreffs may be true ... From all of these practice reports, sounds like he will be the #2 .

I'm still not sure if that's because he's a legit QB, or because the previous staff was such a failure at QB recruitment ...

He's legit. Simple as that.

Based on what?

You were at the scrimmage??

from what little I saw he looked like the second best QB. Rosier not really separating himself.

Advertisement
Brad needs to not try to be a hero. He needs to get through progressions and check down. Move the ball and play the next down. I saw one play where he had Herndon uncovered in the flat with LBs dropping but didn't throw the ball until he was about to be sacked. He needs to recognize that as soon as the LBs drop the flats are open and get the ball there. This bothers me from him because I think it's his character, but I realize this is practice 12 and Richt has plenty of time to correct that.

Sherrifs is gonna be number 2. He's got the physical tools and experience. Rosier isn't responding well, Allison is too young, and Testaverde isn't as gifted physically. Sheriffs also seems the best prepared by demonstrating the best command of the offense. He gets the team lined up, and the ball comes out with purpose. He knows where the ball is supposed to go and gets it there.

For all the concern about yards gained in the scrimmage, it's the 12th practice. I'm sure the kids will all get better over the next several months when they work on their own and take ownership of the system before going into fall camp. Leadership over the summer will determine how much SWAG we have and how far this team will go. This is where I expect brad to excel. On defense we need that Ed Reed type of leader to QB the defense, and it will be interesting to see who emerges.

Reinforcements, very talented reinforcements are coming at DL,DB,WR,RB,OL. No need to fret. The competition will go up another level come fall. Kids will have mastered the system. Hopefully they'll remain healthy and we'll be ready to get after it.

JRS is putting on the roof and it's gonna be lit for FSU. Hopefully we go to GT, stay healthy, and come home undefeated vs FSU. I fully expect this team to win between 9 and 11 games. We have the talent. We have the coaches.

:q3XKXeX:Relax. It's only practice 12.

Fair enough. You're waiting to see what he does before hyping him, and that's cool. Personally, I'm not hyping him saying he'll be great. I am saying the kid has more potential than many on here gave him credit for when he was brought in. Will he reach it? Who knows? Are his chances of reaching it under Mark Richt better than reaching it under James X-Box Coley? I sure think so.

If you get a chance, go back and read the early threads about Evan Shirreffs and you'll read some pretty rough stuff. You'll see why I have the opinion I do about some of our fans.
Hype train? Nah, just not a hate train. Most people cried like little girls when the kid was recruited and would rather see him fail just so they can throw another barb at Golden. As soon as I saw the kids film I thought he was the best looking lightly recruited QB I have ever seen. Doesn't mean he'll start here, or be a great one here, but the kid has tools. Good footwork, especially for a tall QB. Good arm, smart brain, not afraid to run... Did you see his PA passes on his high school tape? There are college seniors that don't PA pass that well. There was never a reason NOT to like this kid, other than having a hate hard on for Golden.
People that went said sheriffs didnt look all that good either but was better than rosier.

I was there.

At least 4- dropped passes, one of which was a TD.

2 of those 4 drops appeared to be on the money, and more importantly a good depth down field (like 17-20yds down).

Kid looks good. He fits in

Well thats good to hear. Im still not sold on him and wont jump on this hype train quickly like everybody seems to do.

It has nothing to with golden for me. I had no problem with him being recruited either. My thing is this fan base always hype up guys that has never did ****. Last year it was rosier.

I have no problem with him and if he turns out to be able to ball, thats good because it creates more depth and competition.

Advertisement
Maybe I'm (we're) overreacting. I just think it's a little odd that we allowed so many rushing yards. This is the same offensive line that couldn't run the ball at all against our defense last spring.

I was always under the impression that good defensive teams usually dominate team scrimmages.

Yeah, cuz its not like richt isn't one of the best play callers to EVER do it. It's not like our offensive coaching overall isn't better from last year.

O-line getting better is a good thing and I don't believe its an indictment on the defense.

I don't give a **** how good of a play caller someone is. Running the ball is about physicality, pursuit and gap responsibility. You can either stop the run or you can't. No grey area.

Any time you're getting gashed in the running game it's an indictment on the defense.

Guess what, we'll be seeing some good play callers this upcoming season. Guys who are slightly more innovative than Richt. They won't be running the **** I-formation.

It appears the urban legend of Evan Shirreffs may be true ... From all of these practice reports, sounds like he will be the #2 .

I'm still not sure if that's because he's a legit QB, or because the previous staff was such a failure at QB recruitment ...

Based on what?

Based on the way CMR, CJR, and Kaaya have been praising him all spring. Even last year he was getting praise on the scout team. You can think what you want to think, but he's the next best when Kaaya leaves. The kid got the short end of the stick with the injury and we got lucky. Accept it...

Brad needs to not try to be a hero. He needs to get through progressions and check down. Move the ball and play the next down. I saw one play where he had Herndon uncovered in the flat with LBs dropping but didn't throw the ball until he was about to be sacked. He needs to recognize that as soon as the LBs drop the flats are open and get the ball there. This bothers me from him because I think it's his character, but I realize this is practice 12 and Richt has plenty of time to correct that.

What? Brads problem has always been how quickly he check downs to a receiver short of the 1st down/ he needs to start trying to be the hero.... Take risks and air it out. I don't want to see him throw a dump off to a rb on 3rd and long anymore when we're trying to play catch up.

Let's give Kaaya some time with Richt and see what happens. I'm sure he has some crap coaching that needs to be worked out of him. Decisions on 3rd down being one of them. I'm really, really confident in Brad's growth as a QB under Richt. He doesn't need to be the hero, but he does need to make plays. I'm confident in Richt's play calling getting Brad, and the entire team, in better positions to make those plays.

What? Brads problem has always been how quickly he check downs to a receiver short of the 1st down/ he needs to start trying to be the hero.... Take risks and air it out. I don't want to see him throw a dump off to a rb on 3rd and long anymore when we're trying to play catch up.

Advertisement
That's what you get when you play aggressively, you will give up big plays. That's nothing new. Alabama's RB's are tearing it up in the spring right now.

Well Richt did lose to a so called Florida team last year... Nobody can explain that loss tho..

I can because I was at the game. Florida won because UGA started Faton Bauta at QB and it was quite literally the worst QB performance I have ever witnessed in person. UGA's OC was trash, why do you think Smart let him go when he got hired. Bauta is a spread QB and he was trying to run a pro offense with the worst OC in CFB. Evan Sherriffs>>>>>>>>>>>Faton Bauta.

Sherrifs is gonna be number 2. He's got the physical tools and experience. Rosier isn't responding well, Allison is too young, and Testaverde isn't as gifted physically. Sheriffs also seems the best prepared by demonstrating the best command of the offense. He gets the team lined up, and the ball comes out with purpose. He knows where the ball is supposed to go and gets it there.

For all the concern about yards gained in the scrimmage, it's the 12th practice. I'm sure the kids will all get better over the next several months when they work on their own and take ownership of the system before going into fall camp. Leadership over the summer will determine how much SWAG we have and how far this team will go. This is where I expect brad to excel. On defense we need that Ed Reed type of leader to QB the defense, and it will be interesting to see who emerges.

Reinforcements, very talented reinforcements are coming at DL,DB,WR,RB,OL. No need to fret. The competition will go up another level come fall. Kids will have mastered the system. Hopefully they'll remain healthy and we'll be ready to get after it.

JRS is putting on the roof and it's gonna be lit for FSU. Hopefully we go to GT, stay healthy, and come home undefeated vs FSU. I fully expect this team to win between 9 and 11 games. We have the talent. We have the coaches.

:q3XKXeX:Relax. It's only practice 12.

Thanks for giving that detail. Seriously, no sarcasm, I appreciate you giving your impressions of the QB situation from the scrimmage.

And I hope you are right about the positives Shirreffs brings. I want us to have quality QB depth!

But my question continues to be: Is the kid good, or is he just the best of what we have behind Kaaya?

Because simply being the best of what we have behind Kaaya doesn't automatically translate to being "good". I didn't think I needed to spell that out, but for guys hyping Shirreffs just because he's better than (no disrespect intended - descriptors used for emphasis) a spread QB from Alabama who Auburn didn't want, a too skinny EE true freshman, and a walk-on who wouldn't be on this team, except for his last name ... That's not really saying much, IMO.

But I'll drop the debate on this topic ... No matter the opinion, the answer won't be revealed until the kid actually gets game time.

Advertisement

Based on what?

Based on the way CMR, CJR, and Kaaya have been praising him all spring. Even last year he was getting praise on the scout team. You can think what you want to think, but he's the next best when Kaaya leaves. The kid got the short end of the stick with the injury and we got lucky. Accept it...

If we ever need him to play, I hope you are right!

Big plays happen but when you constantly bring pressure and blitzes it makes the Offense sweat and gives your defense a chance to make big plays as well (sacks, TFL's, INTS, fumbles etc.) I would much rather give up a 30 yard gain and then get a 10 yard sack for loss then watch our team get leaned on for 80 yards in 10 plays all game.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, though. Getting a 10 yard sack but allowing a 30 yard gain still nets 20 yards for the offense.

If it's one thing I can't stand (as a DC) is coordinators who roll the dice for the sake of "bringing pressure" only to strike out and allow a huge play. I'd rather be "sound".

You do realize that every time a DC calls a blitz, its a roll of the dice right?

You do realize that I coach, right?

You do realize that there's ways to dial up a blitz without leaving yourself too vulnerable, right?

You do realize that there's situations and formations that you can blitz against and not leave yourself vulnerable at all, right? (i.e. against trips)

You do realize that there are ideal situation when (and when not) to blitz, right?

There's strategic ways to blitzing where it's NOT a roll of the dice.

You coach for a school that lost to McArthur. Relax, guy.

Thats what richt is saying he wants the qb to do too. He said if nothing is there check it down or throw it away.

And most of those situations where he throws short of the 3rd down was because they werent calling plays down the field and when they did it wasnt anywhere to go with the ball.

I don't give a **** how good of a play caller someone is. Running the ball is about physicality, pursuit and gap responsibility. You can either stop the run or you can't. No grey area.

Any time you're getting gashed in the running game it's an indictment on the defense.

Guess what, we'll be seeing some good play callers this upcoming season. Guys who are slightly more innovative than Richt. They won't be running the **** I-formation.

You must not be that successful of a DC if you dont care how good a playcaller is. The game is 70% mental. I'm sure you know that. The more you think the harder it is to play. Great playcallers make defenses think which also opens up holes that aren't made with talent. Add in talent and a good defense gets gashed.

I watched a redshirt freshman jameis Winston with a master playcaller light up FSU defense in the spring game. Only to have FSU end the year with a championship and a number 1 ranked defense.

So again, an offense with great talent with a master playcaller will gash even the best defenses.

And lol at us playing ANYONE with the level of success richt has had. More innovative? Name one friggin coach more innovative and with the success to match it.

Shallow cross offense is richts specialty. Which is ran more out of shotgun than anything.
So you can chill tf out guy.

Your concern is unwarranted.

So because Coley ran plays into the teeth of a terrible defense to make Donofrio look better last spring you think its an indictment on this years defense?

Advertisement
Back