Scrimmage Notes

In college football an elite coach can get you 8-10 wins despite of a lack talent but can’t push over the hump of the top 5-7. This is proven, can’t get you a national title but can make you a great program.

Some examples:
Mike Gundy, multiple big 12 title games and 10+ win seasons

Kirk Ferentz, multiple big 10 title games and 10 win seasons

Mark stoops, brings a historically below average SEC program to 8-9 wins annually

Florida Atlantic Fau Football GIF by FAU Athletics

Advertisement
You just made up for a bunch of excuses that have nothing to do with the actual coach’s ability to draw up X’s and O’s. I might as well just say that Urban Meyer, Saban, Kirby were all just paying players and their recruiting was money based.

There are always anomalies to examples, I mean Larry Coker and the 2001 team is a perfect one. A team so star-studded that not even a dunce could ***** it up. Urban was a monster recruiter but also a good coach, Saban and Kirby paid for guys but were (and still are) ferocious defensive wizards.

I’m not a Pats guy at all, but Bill’s defenses largely won them quite a few Super Bowls.

Point is very few teams consistently win when you’re not doing things during gameday to get those star players in advantageous situations. I mean we as a program should realize that the last 20+ years.

It’s why we consistently lose to better head coaches with far worse talent.
Fair enough. I don’t watch enough Iowa/Ok St/UK games to offer a truly fair assessment on their X’s and O’s.
I don’t think you would be far off if you said those coaches were all just paying players and recruiting was money based. They also are good coaches.
Agree on Belichik’s defenses.
Agree on teams consistently winning connected to game day coaching.

Disagree on far less talent. Yes there are examples - MTSU, FIU that are true. However I think we have completely over estimated our talent level the last 20 years. 15 years ago, NFL highlights felt like a Canes alumni party. Today, there’s the occasional KJ Osborn TD or Njoku grab, but is nothing like it was.

Is Mack Brown really that great of a game day coach? He won a NC at Texas. He’s won a little at UNC in both stints, but can’t get over that mythical hump there. Why not? UNC doesn’t have the same clout as UT as it applies to CFB. Whether that means recruits prefer Austin to Chapel Hill or UT spends more than UNC or something else, I don’t know. I do know that Mack has had Drake Maye the last few years and couldn’t win as much. I also watched his teams get overly conservative in the second half with leads and lose. Isn’t that game day coaching? I bring up Mack not to dissect him but rather to show that he’s owned us more so because of better talent, rather than better coaching, in my opinion. I also get that all of this is loaded with nuance.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Adding some more details per Donno from Locked On Canes, some is repetitive to OP

- McConathy looked very natural out there and impressed some folks
- Lofton ran for two touchdowns
- Ward hooked up with Trader on a deep ball tuddy and his chemistry with Restrepo seems mid-season esque
- Ward was great, not perfect - threw his first pick of the spring (Powell)
- One source said Jacurri looked good, the other said Poff looked decisively better than the other backups and that they (Emory and Jacurri) were erratic and inconsistent
- Zaquan Patterson forced a fumble on one of the RBs near the goal line
- No significant injuries of any kind have been reported
- Samson getting a lot of reps with the first team at LG

- His personal predictions on the OL (left to right): Rivers/Samson/Carpenter/Cooper/Mauigoa

- DBs were “competitive” but people expect Miami to be active in the DB market come portal time

- Richard has been developing and seems like the mental side is “clicking”

- Wasn’t given a ton of names at WR other than Restrepo and Trader, but then said overall they were making plays

- Says that Mario mentioned a few weeks ago that Fletcher should be ready to go by the Summer, except that now seems to have changed and there’s some doubt over his recovery time (not surprising)

Last edited:
Adding some more details per Donno from Locked On Canes, some is repetitive to OP

- Ward hooked up with Trader on a deep ball tuddy and his chemistry with Restrepo seems mid-season esque
- One source said Jacurri looked good, the other said Poff looked decisively better than the other backups and that they (Emory and Jacurri) were erratic and inconsistent

- His personal predictions on the OL (left to right): Rivers/Samson/Carpenter/Cooper/Mauigoa

- DBs were “competitive” but people expect Miami to be active in the DB market come portal time

- Wasn’t given a ton of names at WR other than Restrepo and Trader, but then said overall they were making plays

- Says that Mario said a few weeks ago that Fletcher should be ready to go by the Summer, except that now seems to have changed
Only 5 OL... pussies

Advertisement

- Says that Mario mentioned a few weeks ago that Fletcher should be ready to go by the Summer, except that now seems to have changed and there’s some doubt over his recovery time (not surprising)
Any updates on Mesidor’s orthopedics?

Good to hear the defense is starting to catch up and play well. Have a feeling the front 7 is massively underrated, especially at the LB
Of course we're not trotting out the 5'9 dude from Texas(sad I can't even remember the starting LB for UM smfh)an Keontra Smith lol

Advertisement
I wasn’t asking you. I was asking @WeBallinBoyz who wrote it. He can answer for himself as I was curious where he was coming from.

That said, I completely disagree with you and your examples don’t make sense. Gundy, Ferentz and Stoops all coach at mediocre schools. Kentucky is a hoops school. Iowa and Ok State have been perennial also-rans for my entire life. Yet now those guys should be commended for being….also-rans??
Stoops is 73-65 in his career at UK, which is largely propped up by two 10 win seasons over the course of 11 seasons. He’s averaged six wins a year for the other nine seasons he’s been there.
Mike Gundy plays in a terrible conference that doesn’t play defense. After Texas and Oklahoma, who are both gone now, the level of competition is WAY lower. Iowa State. Kansas State. Kansas. West Virginia. These are equivalent to mid/lower ACC teams. Gundy has won at a higher clip than Stoops, but he’s finished about where they historically have - 3rd/4th place.
Iowa plays in the crappy half of the Big Ten. You know, the one without Michigan and without Ohio State? The same half without Penn State. Someone has to with the other half.

I’m not saying that those three suck - they do not. However I see nothing that makes me feel like they’re doing anything special to the art of coaching that nets more wins. Put another way, if you gave them all the same name, painted them the same color, shuffled them then re-assigned their schools, the net difference in wins would be zero. Aside from the GT game, who of that group are winning more with Miami’s team last season?

Who are the top coaches? In college, it’s the ones who can recruit as well as game day coach. Saban, Smart, Harbaugh, Urban Liar, and Lane Kiffin (I think). I realize a few names aren’t currently coaching college. I left them in because they’re recent examples of sustained elite coaching in college. Also realize that there are a couple newcomer names I’ve omitted - Kalen DeBoer, Rhett Lashlee, Ryan Day (puke) and Steve Sarkisian - but I want to see more from them before I lump them in with the rest. I have a super high threshold for what I consider elite, hence the question mark next to Lane. When Lane finally wins something meaningful, I’ll remove the question mark. Most of the rest of the coaches are jags.

As a related side note, I have a personal dislike of coach-worship as highlighted by New England Patriot fans over the last 20 years. I hope I didn’t come off as disrespectful as none was intended.
To your point of who is doing more with Miami’s team last season, all 3 of those guys with 0 doubt and I think most people would agree with that. Miami won 6 games last year and I hate to be the star ***** guy but they had the 12th best blue chip ratio in the country.

To your second point, the coaches you named yes I would agree those are the best coaches but they also coach the historically best programs. And putting lane kiffin with them is absolutely laughable, no one has done less with more than him before this recent run with ole miss. He was a major failure in the nfl as well as historically great programs Tennessee and USC.

To your point of my examples not making sense, I listed guys who do more with less talent meaning coaching can overcome a lack of talent which was the original topic. Those 3 all have less talent than over half of there opponents but win more than they lose.

To your point of who is doing more with Miami’s team last season, all 3 of those guys with 0 doubt and I think most people would agree with that. Miami won 6 games last year and I hate to be the star ***** guy but they had the 12th best blue chip ratio in the country.

To your second point, the coaches you named yes I would agree those are the best coaches but they also coach the historically best coaches. And putting lane kiffin with them is absolutely laughable, no one has done less with more than him before this recent run with ole miss. He was a major failure in the nfl as well as historically great programs Tennessee and USC.

To your point of my examples not making sense, I listed guys who do more with less talent meaning coaching can overcome a lack of talent which was the original topic. Those 3 all have less talent than over half of there opponents but win more than they lose.
1. Our blue chip ratio is/was super young so it’s deceiving. Would Gundy, Stoops and Ferentz won those games? GT for sure. Same as if you or me were coaching. The other losses? Coin flip.
2. Lane Kiffin is a *****; no argument from me there. Lane Kiffin was a joke for a long time. Lane Kiffin has also kept Ole Miss relevant in a difficult SEC. I was trying to name any coach other than the ones I did who might be near that level. Brian Kelly? No. Dude from ND? No. James Franklin? Also no. So I chose Kiffin. So my list should’ve been one shorter.
3. Agree to disagree.

J. George is a **** good football player. Even with his terrible emotional control, hes an assett. Yall have to stop the ****ery. Let go of those gameday emotions. Get tf over it. We need him.
I never questioned his ability. He’s a really good player. It’s his lack of discipline that ****es me off just like James Williams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The clip of Zaquan forcing the fumble is circulating on IG. Idk who #25 is at RB, but that’s who it was who got high-lowed and coughed it up.
Chris Wheatley-Humphrey

short yardage package with Lofton and Artavius Jones leading at FB. No more getting stuffed on 3rd/4th & 1.

Lofton looks way different than DJ Williams. If I was an OC he could really give DC's fits because he can line up anywhere and create mismatches. I know the Greentree hype gets old, but he looks legit.
Or Justin Scott 👀. Mario's dream come true 😂

Advertisement
Back