Scrimmage Notes

Advertisement
After what I saw from Clemson today, I think on paper our team is better. Not really a surprise considering we clipped them last season with a TF QB throwing for less than 5 yards per attempt.

Obviously have to watch the Spring and see what we actually look like vs buzz and words, but I personally think us and Louisville are the top two teams in the ACC, with FSU and Clemson still in that mix. NC State hovering around there.

And there’s still plenty of ways to upgrade the roster at key positions, the question is how serious will be attack the portal to back those words up. Other teams certainly will.

I appreciate everything you wrote. But I honestly cannot fathom why Louisville is considered a front runner. You look at that roster and see only three stars with the occasional low four star sprinkled in (a couple being transfers from Miami). Other than their HC, who is a five star or at least a high four star, how are they mentioned in the same breadth as us? FSU, Clemson sure. But UL??

I know nothing about Louisville other than their composite, what I saw when we played them last season , the fact they portalled in half their roster and their HC is a stud it’s an honest question.

I appreciate everything you wrote. But I honestly cannot fathom why Louisville is considered a front runner. You look at that roster and see only three stars with the occasional low four star sprinkled in (a couple being transfers from Miami). Other than their HC, who is a five star or at least a high four star, how are they mentioned in the same breadth as us? FSU, Clemson sure. But UL??

I know nothing about Louisville other than their composite, what I saw when we played them last season , the fact they portalled in half their roster and their HC is a stud it’s an honest question.
Because their coach is an offensive savant that took a terrible Plummer at QB and a bunch of holdovers, and won 10 games + made the ACCCG in year one.

Coaching always exceeds talent. And now he’s gotten a ton of help in the portal, including a very good RB in Perry Boone.

Is our roster more talented on paper? Absolutely. But is their HC better at creating mismatches on offense and exploiting defensive weaknesses? You bet.

Because their coach is an offensive savant that took a terrible Plummer at QB and a bunch of holdovers, and won 10 games + made the ACCCG in year one.

Coaching always exceeds talent. And now he’s gotten a ton of help in the portal, including a very good RB in Perry Boone.

Is our roster more talented on paper? Absolutely. But is their HC better at creating mismatches on offense and exploiting defensive weaknesses? You bet.
I love Guidry but mannn Brohm worked him over last year. Not that we didn’t know he was legit but with less talent he got after it. Granted Guidry was hamstrung bigtime by the end of the year as well but sheesh

Advertisement
I love Guidry but mannn Brohm worked him over last year. Not that we didn’t know he was legit but with less talent he got after it. Granted Guidry was hamstrung bigtime by the end of the year as well but sheesh
Yup, all correct. Hopefully we have a healthy team by Louisville and we can witness Guidry’s full bag of tricks vs. Brohm’s.

Seems like the why we again may not win 10 games with a 10 win roster is being flushed out here....

Advertisement
Advertisement
RB plan '24: Thunder and thunder and thunder
IMG_2684.gif

Advertisement
He was a better worker than Brat because he actually put people over & wasn't a baby about it.

He also trained & taught numerous other wrestlers how to work like Scott Hall & Shawn Michaels.

Curt actually made Warrior look like he knew how to wrestle, which was an almost impossible task.
You're not often wrong, but you definitely are here.

Cam Ward - made some nice throws. Good feet in the pocket. Missed on a couple deep shots, but hit one really nice one on a deep post

Reese - very quick decisions. Made some nice plays. Was better that Emory today IMO

Emory - his ball was a little erratic today. Comes out of his hand funny sometimes

Jacurri- his ball placement is not great. Threw behind on a TE crosser and then in the ground on another.

Chris Johnson and CWH are both fast, but need to add muscle to their frames.

Citizen is built different. Banged his hand or finger up early in practice but came back. Definitely runs hard and can move the pile. Didn't get a chance to see him open up much.

Lofton stole the show at RB, patient in the hole and then explodes. I saw him with two huge runs. Seems very natural at back.

Either Horton or Trader had a beautiful post from Ward. X is unreal in the slot. Ray Ray and Washington both made some nice plays. Arroyo had some nice plays. Very athletic running routes.

OLine looked pretty good. Have a few undersized players on 2nd and 3rd that we need to recruit over. Samson was starting at LG.

D-Line was very active. Bain was back in and looked good. Lightfoot is very fast, but needs to add some weight. McConathy made some plays. He'll be a good one in a couple years. Wayne looked good as well. Alston wasn't in but looks very well built for a stand up Edge.

LB's look so much better than a couple years ago. Have size and athleticism. Pulliam had a pick 6 off Jacurri, Bissainthe was lined up all over the place. Washington blew up a RB and made a couple of plays in coverage. Pruitt needs to add some more weight but is very instinctual.

DB's played pretty well from what I saw. The D was winning the scrimmage portion for the first 3/4 drives. Reese came in and moved them down the field but inside the 5 Zaquan blew up the RB and caused a fumble the D recovered. Cam led a drive that was mostly Lofton running it, but made a few plays.

Overall the team was going hard. I didn't see any real injuries but I had to leave with about 5mins left. The 2 deep looks very good. Ward will make the O dangerous. Need a little more depth in the secondary, but those boys were playing pretty well today.
Good info ...

Advertisement
Back