Scrimmage news

It might need to be one of those situations where you have to go w talent over iq, similar to Petrino and Lamar. Not comparing Perry to him, but Petrino is a QB guru who lives and breathes the intricacies of the position.

He threw all that and 4 decades worth of preferences away to put the better talent behind center.

Rosier may be our smartest QB, but hes far from our most talented. He has no business starting unless the other guys are flat out terrible. Id honestly rather start Williams than Rosier.

Rosier is an elite back up. Period.

Exactly. Spot tf on. Couldn't have said it better.

Richt gotta roll with the dynamic guy.

IF were going to have a 1 read offense with a limited QB id rather it be a QB that can hit a WR in stride on a simple bubble screen.

Advertisement
Exactly. Spot tf on. Couldn't have said it better.

Richt gotta roll with the dynamic guy.

IF were going to have a 1 read offense with a limited QB id rather it be a QB that can hit a WR in stride on a simple bubble screen.
So why so angry at a post asking if its time to get on the Williams band wagon? We need the QB thats going to protect the ball and hit the open receivers. Then to qoute Felicia we're Gucci

I don't care if Perry can even read a ******* book or not, I'd still rather have him at Qb than Rosier.
If not perry than Weldon. If not Weldon than Jarren. If Not Jarren than ******* Deejay Dallas (only slightly sarcastic) or something.

Seriously Rosier had ******* more games <50% completion% than >60%. Like he is literally the least accurate Qb in like all P5 football. Id rather go with the guy who struggles to read a defense and has the potential to be very good and LEARN during the season, than a guy who is slighty better at reading a Defense (Lets not act like Rosier is great at it, cause he's not) but can't ******* hit an open wr half the time.

Advertisement
When did it become accepted that Perry can’t beat out Rosier? They haven’t even had a real scrimmage yet.

I don't think it's accepted, and my post didn't say anything about it. Like I said at the end, there's still a long way to go until Sept. 2, and there's plenty of time for Perry to win the job.

My problem -- and what I was getting at in my post -- is that people are equating "Rosier winning the job" with "the staff is blind" and/or "we gon' suck." I disagree with that, namely because (1) its up to Perry to supplant the starter, not the staff to hand him the job, and (2) with Rosier, as limited as he is, we know what our floor could be, whereas we don't know the same with Perry. Rushing Perry out there could be a LOT worse than going with one more season with Rosier, as it could cost us more games this year and destroy Perry's confidence for the rest of his career here.

Let's let this play out. If Perry makes it so the staff can't keep him off the field, cool. I hope that happens.

I don't care if Perry can even read a ******* book or not, I'd still rather have him at Qb than Rosier.
If not perry than Weldon. If not Weldon than Jarren. If Not Jarren than ******* Deejay Dallas (only slightly sarcastic) or something.

Seriously Rosier had ******* more games <50% completion% than >60%. Like he is literally the least accurate Qb in like all P5 football. Id rather go with the guy who struggles to read a defense and has the potential to be very good and LEARN during the season, than a guy who is slighty better at reading a Defense (Lets not act like Rosier is great at it, cause he's not) but can't ******* hit an open wr half the time.

This is an example of "shiny new toy" syndrome. What if Rosier looks like Shirreffs in the Pitt game and can't move the offense? You really gonna bench Rosier, a guy who QB'd the team to an Orange Bowl last year, in the hopes that Perry MIGHT figure it out?

It's a huge risk. Perry's time will come, but it's up to him to win the job. A good staff doesn't just hand it over when the incumbent has shown competence at this level.

This is an example of "shiny new toy" syndrome. What if Rosier looks like Shirreffs in the Pitt game and can't move the offense? You really gonna bench Rosier, a guy who QB'd the team to an Orange Bowl last year, in the hopes that Perry MIGHT figure it out?

It's a huge risk. Perry's time will come, but it's up to him to win the job. A good staff doesn't just hand it over when the incumbent has shown competence at this level.
we KNOW what we have with Rosier.
Do I need to ******* re-post his stats from last season/his career to show you how ******* *** he was?
He has LITERALLY had more sub50% comp% games than >60% comp% games. You understand that is HORRIBLE, Right?

I am fully aware Perry, Weldon, or Jarren COULD play worse than Rosier. But the point is, Rosier IS Terrible. We already know what we will get out of him. He's not going to suddenly become an accurate passer in his Redshirt Senior season.

So why on earth would we go with the guy we KNOW is trash, over the 3 guys that have WAY MORE potential than Rosier, and only have a small chance of being as bad as him?
so when you say:
You really gonna bench Rosier, a guy who QB'd the team to an Orange Bowl last year, in the hopes that Perry MIGHT figure it out?
my answer if **** YES. because I already know Rosier is terrible. Of course I'd rather risk the season with Perry, Weldon, or Jarren than go through another season with Rosier at Qb.

There's a strategy some coaches use when they have a situation like this...
(I know I've used it many times)
Particularly when it's a veteran versus a younger player.

When you have a 1st stringer who's really ****ting the bed, and a 2nd stringer with more talent, you let that 1st string guy "make his bed" if you will.
You keep giving him the 1st team reps (in practice), allowing him to pile up more "***** ups" to concretely validate your decision to move the 2nd guy ahead.

Spring is the perfect time for this. It's not a game you play in the fall.

Then when you move that 2nd string kid up, it's no surprise to anybody, including the kid himself.

It's kinda hard to just move Rosier to 2nd string right now after a 10-3 season. As much as I think Richt hates having him there (you can see it in his face during some games), he may be piling up all the validation he needs to make the move.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Advertisement
There's a strategy some coaches use when they have a situation like this...
(I know I've used it many times)
Particularly when it's a veteran versus a younger player.

When you have a 1st stringer who's really ****ting the bed, and a 2nd stringer with more talent, you let that 1st string guy "make his bed" if you will.
You keep giving him the 1st team reps (in practice), allowing him to pile up more "***** ups" to concretely validate your decision to move the 2nd guy ahead.

Spring is the perfect time for this. It's not a game you play in the fall.

Then when you move that 2nd string kid up, it's no surprise to anybody, including the kid himself.

It's kinda hard to just move Rosier to 2nd string right now after a 10-3 season. As much as I think Richt hates having him there (you can see it in his face during some games), he may be piling up all the validation he needs to make the move.

Just wishful thinking on my part.
Richt said something interesting before spring practice to the effect of Rosier having to improve to keep his job. I'm not sure how so many people heard, "Rosier is the starter", but I heard that he's getting benched unless he gets better. The TEAM needs better QB play in order to get to the championship level, and Rosier simply isn't that guy. Richt is giving him every chance to improve and keep the job, and is wanting to be as fair as possible, but the writing is on the wall for Rosier. Barring drastic improvement, or injuries, he will never start another game. Perry and Williams are simply far more talented, and they will both know the O well enough come August to pass Rosier.

Advertisement
we KNOW what we have with Rosier.
Do I need to ******* re-post his stats from last season/his career to show you how ******* *** he was?
He has LITERALLY had more sub50% comp% games than >60% comp% games. You understand that is HORRIBLE, Right?

I am fully aware Perry, Weldon, or Jarren COULD play worse than Rosier. But the point is, Rosier IS Terrible. We already know what we will get out of him. He's not going to suddenly become an accurate passer in his Redshirt Senior season.

So why on earth would we go with the guy we KNOW is trash, over the 3 guys that have WAY MORE potential than Rosier, and only have a small chance of being as bad as him?
so when you say:

my answer if **** YES. because I already know Rosier is terrible. Of course I'd rather risk the season with Perry, Weldon, or Jarren than go through another season with Rosier at Qb.

I guess "terrible" means different things to different people. 10 wins, solid stats, and a wins on the road against Tallahassee and pastings of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech, to me, is objectively not terrible. Could he be better? Sure. But he's not a terrible QB; just an average one.

And what does it say about Perry if he can't beat out this "terrible" QB? You really want that guy starting?

If you’ve listened to the interviews from CMR and Rosier’s the past year, there’s a couple obvious happenings. #1 CMR has said Rosier thinks he’s more elusive than he is as a runner. #2 Rosier comes off as more ****y than confident. I don’t see CMR jelling with that personality. Those aren’t the qualities of good leader.
Rosier possesses a slightly below average arm, is a slightly above average athlete, and is an average decision maker. In Rosier’s mind, he’s better than that. Rosier doesn’t realize he’s not out running most LBs on good teams. That causes him to run vs use that ability to extend a play to throw all to often. I believe that’s his demise.
Perry will scramble more like a Charlie Ward and realize extending plays with your feet to throw downfield is better than taking off running...unless your Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick. Perry has elite arm strength. It’s only a matter of time fellas. ****, I can’t wait to watch the scrimmage on the 14th.

If you’ve listened to the interviews from CMR and Rosier’s the past year, there’s a couple obvious happenings. #1 CMR has said Rosier thinks he’s more elusive than he is as a runner. #2 Rosier comes off as more ****y than confident. I don’t see CMR jelling with that personality. Those aren’t the qualities of good leader.
Rosier possesses a slightly below average arm, is a slightly above average athlete, and is an average decision maker. In Rosier’s mind, he’s better than that. Rosier doesn’t realize he’s not out running most LBs on good teams. That causes him to run vs use that ability to extend a play to throw all to often. I believe that’s his demise.
Perry will scramble more like a Charlie Ward and realize extending plays with your feet to throw downfield is better than taking off running...unless your Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick. Perry has elite arm strength. It’s only a matter of time fellas. ****, I can’t wait to watch the scrimmage on the 14th.
I don’t think Rosier has any options but to try to outrun linebackers when he is outside of the pocket. The few times I saw him try to throw while moving, he missed the receiver badly.

Advertisement
Don’t sleep on homer....
Please go back and watch how he dominated 2 top 15 teams back to back.

Imo homer played great for a back who was thrust in action and this year was really his first playing experience on offense at Miami because he didn’t play much as a freshman at running back. Homer gets after it and runs physical and he has that speed . We should see a jump in his game and I’m excited to see it. Isn’t it nice we finally have a plethora of running backs to get excited about? That tells you things are going in the right direction

Wouldn't regret it

Everyone “knows” what Rosier can do.

No one “knows” what any other QB can do.

Throwing out the idea that kids can improve from one year to the next (if Rosier can’t than we can’t assume any of the others can), no one knows **** and these arguments are stupid.

I guess "terrible" means different things to different people. 10 wins, solid stats, and a wins on the road against Tallahassee and pastings of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech, to me, is objectively not terrible. Could he be better? Sure. But he's not a terrible QB; just an average one.

And what does it say about Perry if he can't beat out this "terrible" QB? You really want that guy starting?
So I guess you're going to make me break out the stats to show just how **** Rosier was huh. Cause Everything you are pointing out are team successes that happened IN SPITE of having Rosier as our QB. We didn't accomplish any of that because he played good. We accomplished that even though we had a terrible qb, because our defense was that good at causing havoc and turnovers and we had playmakers at the skill positions.

For the 3 games you mentioned, FSU, VTech, and ND, his stats are highlighted in Orange. The stats for ACC Qbs on the season are averaged in Green (not including Rosier). I do this so you can see for yourself how complete *** he was, even in the 3 games you mention as "average performances"....They weren't. They were exactly as I described them, ******* Horrible. As you will see, the ONLY think he wasn't complete **** at in this 3 game sample (and really, on the year) was TD%, which was admittedly pretty good. The problem is his INT% was also high as ****, so it's completely counteracted.
1e136ce9bd6173c776d1f28891f703d2.png

https://gyazo.com/1e136ce9bd6173c776d1f28891f703d2

So if Rosiers stats for this 3 game span were over the course of the season, compared to his 11 ACC QB peers, he'd rank in each category:
DEAD LAST in Comp%
9th/12 in Y/A and 10th/12 in adjusted Y/A.
10th/12 in TD:INT ratio, 2nd/12 in TD%, and DEAD LAST in INT%
And 10th/12 in QB Rating

So Literally the only 2 QBs you can even say were worse than his performance in the FSU, VTech, and ND game, which you claim were his strong points on the season, were the Duke qb and BC Qb. And the ONLY thing Rosier did well in those games was have a good TD% (Rosier had the 4th/12 TD% on the season in ACC play)....and ****, this is just comparing him to ACC Qbs in a year where the ACC QBs definitely weren't very good.

Literally there is no defense to wanting Rosier to start this upcoming season. Am I happy with the overall result of last season? Yes, absolutely. But the fact is I can admit our QB was crap at the same time, and that everything we accomplished was with a bad Qb at the helm. Had we even had an average ACC QB like you claim we did, we would have beat Pitt, curb stomped every team we almost lost to, and possibly beat Wisconsin in the Orange bowl (if we hadn't been playing in the **** CFP with just a loss to Clemson).

Advertisement
Back