Scrimmage buzz

View as article
Doubt anyone wants to win more than I do or has been hanging around for more decades. I can list all the reasons we could/should be a much better team in 2024.

Wait for it--------

BUT, has any spring reporting of a collge football ever reported that things look really bad, lots of guys underperforming expectations and we are on the downslope.

This is great fun in the offseason, but I'm in show me when it matters mode.
Dammit man…why you gotta **** in our Kool-aid?

Advertisement
Hey man every time I step on the first tee I tell myself it’s gonna be different this time
1711841007771.gif

His strengths is something HS film doesn’t show. People just see height and his main position being te and pigeon hole him. At the next level he’ll be a mismatch problem because he can line up at so many positions. Rb, Te, Fb, H-back and even the slot. While being a legit threat at all of them.

Defenses won’t know until he aligns in the formation if it’s a base or spread. Is it a run or pass look ? He’s the definition of a Swiss Army knife.

Happy North Carolina GIF by UNC Tar Heels

Advertisement
If Lofton can be a short yardage back, block and catch out of the backfield as a FB/H back, line up in the slot and create mismatches against LB's he will make this offense very tough.

Here's some Byars Highlights

Advertisement
Mark Andrews is a prototypical TE, Lofton is barely 6’ tall/ he’s a baller but they are not similar.
I’m aware. Not in terms of physical stature obviously. I mean position wise. Andrews was more of an H-Back where they had him in multiple locations and motions in the offense vs being a traditional TE.

Advertisement
Talked to someone that was at the scrimmage:

Cam Ward is the real deal - very impressed with him. We haven't had a QB this good in a long time.

2nd player he mentioned was Lofton. Made some incredible plays. Doesn't look great, but is an unbelievable football player.

Was also impressed with Poff - poise and accuracy were two things he mentioned.

Horton is much improved from last year and will be an upgrade from Young. Trader is the real deal. Was starting as George wasn't participating in the scrimmage. Also was saying how good Restrepo has looked this year.

Said Okunlola was with the first team. The size of the OL was unreal. Mentioned Carpenter looks a lot bigger than when he saw him earlier in the offseason. Mentioned Rivers and Cooper being very good. Markell Bell is the biggest human he's stood beside. Was saying how different this team looks compared to Mario's first spring.

DL was very good. Mesidor looks like he's put on good size. Mentioned Cook and Clark as being good additions.

LB's are a lot faster than they have been in recent years and play violently.

Meesh Powell and Damari Brown stood out to him. Patterson had a couple big hits.

Also mentioned how he felt the DB's were being coached up better than last year. Jackson was a very good hire. Expects by the season that the secondary will be better than we expect and have less busts than last year.

Talked about how much better the culture is. Said Manny brought in guys that didn't give AF. No accountability. Mario has been bringing in guys that love football and care about the program. Is very high on the team and says he would be surprised if we don't make the 12 team playoff this year.
This is telling lies season so might as well go big lies and 🙏

Advertisement
His strengths is something HS film doesn’t show. People just see height and his main position being te and pigeon hole him. At the next level he’ll be a mismatch problem because he can line up at so many positions. Rb, Te, Fb, H-back and even the slot. While being a legit threat at all of them.

Defenses won’t know until he aligns in the formation if it’s a base or spread. Is it a run or pass look ? He’s the definition of a Swiss Army knife.
Poor mans Deebo Samuel’s? Idk how speedy he is but the way the 49ers move Deebo around would be similar

Advertisement
Back