Scrimmage buzz

View as article

When you first glommed on to this schtick I was opposed. Now I'm like:

michael-jordan-shrug-1992.jpg

We looked like a serious program and operation. Guys taking drills and reps seriously.

But were they flying around and making plays.

Advertisement
Doubt anyone wants to win more than I do or has been hanging around for more decades. I can list all the reasons we could/should be a much better team in 2024.

Wait for it--------

BUT, has any spring reporting of a collge football ever reported that things look really bad, lots of guys underperforming expectations and we are on the downslope.

This is great fun in the offseason, but I'm in show me when it matters mode.
Yes. The year that Kevin Olsen was our only healthy QB in spring was bleak and the outlook was tepid at best. Then there was there year that AJ Highsmith and Kacey Rodgers were our starting safeties and most people knew it was gonna be a struggle on defense. Those are just a few examples.

Talked to someone that was at the scrimmage:

Cam Ward is the real deal - very impressed with him. We haven't had a QB this good in a long time.

2nd player he mentioned was Lofton. Made some incredible plays. Doesn't look great, but is an unbelievable football player.

Was also impressed with Poff - poise and accuracy were two things he mentioned.

Horton is much improved from last year and will be an upgrade from Young. Trader is the real deal. Was starting as George wasn't participating in the scrimmage. Also was saying how good Restrepo has looked this year.

Said Okunlola was with the first team. The size of the OL was unreal. Mentioned Carpenter looks a lot bigger than when he saw him earlier in the offseason. Mentioned Rivers and Cooper being very good. Markell Bell is the biggest human he's stood beside. Was saying how different this team looks compared to Mario's first spring.

DL was very good. Mesidor looks like he's put on good size. Mentioned Cook and Clark as being good additions.

LB's are a lot faster than they have been in recent years and play violently.

Meesh Powell and Damari Brown stood out to him. Patterson had a couple big hits.

Also mentioned how he felt the DB's were being coached up better than last year. Jackson was a very good hire. Expects by the season that the secondary will be better than we expect and have less busts than last year.

Talked about how much better the culture is. Said Manny brought in guys that didn't give AF. No accountability. Mario has been bringing in guys that love football and care about the program. Is very high on the team and says he would be surprised if we don't make the 12 team playoff this year.

Yes. The year that Kevin Olsen was our only healthy QB in spring was bleak and the outlook was tepid at best. Then there was there year that AJ Highsmith and Kacey Rodgers were our starting safeties and most people knew it was gonna be a struggle on defense. Those are just a few examples.

No Golden fan, but at least he rebuilt the roster somewhat from what he inherited. Manny on the other hand left this roster decimated. Which is why it's taken Mario three seasons to put something together. Not excusing his stupidity for placing all his chips on TVD last season, and his game day mistakes. But he's building something special.

That said, I hope, believe, expect him to upgrade at RB and DB, possibly WR and DT, too, if the right guys come along. Still more improvement to go, especially on defense.

Advertisement
Dmoney, "- One person (football guy) who has been going to practices forever said this is the best we've looked in a decade. "

A decade (2014) ago, the Hurricanes were led by fourth-year head coach Al Golden and played their home games at Sun Life Stadium. They finished the season 6–7 overall and 3–5 in the ACC to finish in a three-way tie for fifth place in the Coastal Division. They were invited to the Independence Bowl where they lost to South Carolina, 24–21.

Dmoney you saying we're going 6-7 with a bowl loss?

15-0, Go Canes!
Yes, but that team had the 2nd most players drafted after Alabama. Team had talent and if Golden had hired a real DC, he might still be our coach.

No Golden fan, but at least he rebuilt the roster somewhat from what he inherited. Manny on the other hand left this roster decimated. Which is why it's taken Mario three seasons to put something together. Not excusing his stupidity for placing all his chips on TVD last season, and his game day mistakes. But he's building something special.

That said, I hope, believe, expect him to upgrade at RB and DB, possibly WR and DT, too, if the right guys come along. Still more improvement to go, especially on defense.
I just don't see the desire to spend big on a WR when we have young talent that could use the experience, have a really good Qb to rely on, AND have 2 of the most productive returning WRs in the ACC... and of course more pressing needs.

Chris Johnson looked crazy today, he caught a 60+ yard TD from Cam and had another very nice run. Horton was consistently open. Williams threw a dime to Lofton for a 50+ TD. Cam finished practice in the 2 minute drill with an absolutely beautiful ball to Horton for a TD to finish practice. In my opinion Williams will be QB2 come the season. A bunch of recruits were out there today. Allen had a bunch of nice runs today.

Advertisement
Doubt anyone wants to win more than I do or has been hanging around for more decades. I can list all the reasons we could/should be a much better team in 2024.

Wait for it--------

BUT, has any spring reporting of a collge football ever reported that things look really bad, lots of guys underperforming expectations and we are on the downslope.

This is great fun in the offseason, but I'm in show me when it matters mode.
No offense but like no **** pal

Advertisement
I just don't see the desire to spend big on a WR when we have young talent that could use the experience, have a really good Qb to rely on, AND have 2 of the most productive returning WRs in the ACC... and of course more pressing needs.

I would have vociferously disagreed with you a couple months ago. Now I think it's more of a luxury.

But I'm for guys EARNING and WINNING their spots. And tbh, I don't feel like Horton has any competition at all. Maybe Robinson changes that in the summer. We need a big powerful fast receiver who can either start or make Horton earn the starting role. IMO, Colbie Young could have been great but was meh, and I think a lot had to do with he was the only talented guy at his spot.

- One person (football guy) who has been going to practices forever said this is the best we've looked in a decade. "Talent level, character, energy level, physicality." He repeatedly stressed the intangible qualities of the kids while noting the improvement across the board in body types.

giphy.gif

@DMoney making sure we all get our koolaid. I'm here for it, it's been a hard week and I needed something good.

Advertisement
I was at practice today and here are my expanded thoughts. I watched mostly offensive as my son is a QB so I focused on them and the WRs.

1. Trader and Carr are the real deal. WOW is all I have to say - it’s why they are the first words out for me. Those guys are awesome and for freshman beyond impressive. Both should play a ton. With Restrepo and Horton and these 2 I feel we are good. I’m not even thinking of George. Although I did like Ray Ray and he made some nice grabs.

2. Horton is gonna make a lot of plays. He’s matured and has taken the next step. I was very encouraged by his overall demeanor and play. Huge too.

3. Cam is as expected. Confident. Has a cannon and can sling the ball. He has an extremely quick release and uses his hips well. Also his footwork is pretty good. Also lots of confidence. You can just tell he has a good head for this and someone who the guys will rally around.

4. Reece I am so excited by him and his presence. Smart, good arm especially in short area and good footwork. He’s mature and will be good for the locker room. Also more accurate than you might think. I could see him being the starter next year.

5. Jacurri is a freak but his fundamentals are just not great. Someone needs to get his footwork and have him spend the year working on that. He misses throw’s because his feet are not planted or all over the place. He’s a stud athletically but for him to take the next step and become more accurate he needs to really improve mechanically and fundamentally in a few areas. He could be very good but really should learn from Cam and Reese.

6. Emory is a good ball player. Nothing he does is overly impressive and I have to be honest I do not know for the life of me how he throws without laces. It’s weird. But he’s a gamer and you can tell a smart kid and good guy. He’s just not the most athletic or imposing guy and his arm is average at best. He’s every bit 6’4 though.

7. Judd is HUGE. A big big dude and has a rifle. He’s young and was doing like 4th/5th string work so not a ton but he’s a big boy who has the physical look. Just too early to really tell but can sling it. He also needs to improve his footwork. Wasnt the cleanest and you can see because he missed some easy throws if only he planted better.

8. #9 Lofton if he isn’t one of the 10-15 best players already on the team I don’t know. He doesn’t look the eye test like he’s got a little belly and not the biggest but he’s a football player. This kid is the goods and real deal. He just gets it. There are guys that just have the IT factor and know how to play the game and it flows. He’s that guy.

9. Arroyo has his mojo back and you can tell will be a leader. I was very also impressed by Riley and he made a nice grab I saw. I like him a lot.

10. Bain didn’t suit up not sure what that was about. But saw him on the second floor.

11. OL - they are BIG and the new guy bell is a slightly skinner version of Mount McKinnie. Rivers is HUGE. We have to have one of the largest most imposing OLs in the county. The new Bell kid will learn a bunch on leverage and hand placement. He’s a work in progress but you cannot build guys like that.

12. Duke Johnson was working with Citizen and I think he’s close. The kid has a big brace on but give him a little time you can see he’s a well built guy and hopefully he can make it. I was happy to see Duke out there and hear he’s been around the program.

13. Lastly saw a ton of recruits and some big big kids. Now I couldn’t tell who is who but it seemed like a good amount of prospects and excitement. I did see the Bell QB kid.

Overall you can see the difference in player size, ability and confidence. We still have areas to go but I was very encouraged by what I saw. A very different team than the day Mario got here. I think we need a few more big body DTs like Horton who is big compared to JHH. Now are we a top 10 team I dunno. All I know is we are better than where we were and can see us making some strong strides this year as long as we stay healthy.

Thanks for the recap.

We have some major talent on the way at DT and RB; remaining '24 class signees and portal additions should bolster areas of weakness on the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the '25 class is Mario's best, and looking forward to next season we'll have the body-types, depth and team speed to look like Miami Hurricane Football.

Amazing what Mario has accomplished in 3 short years...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back