Scrimmage #2 8/22

I was just surprised that South Dade kids would be working with someone so far north and not someone closer.
For sure.
Well Sly's camps are like a "who's who" of South Florida HS football players. There's a ton of competition out there. Kids wanna test themselves against the best so they're willing to travel. Pretty much every big-time HS prospect in (at least) Broward has been to Sly camps.

Advertisement
Phillips is "unknown guy"? LOL. He's more of a "known guy" than Greg was before last season. You're not getting it though. You can't seem to grasp the fact that you didn't think Greg was going to be great in 2019, and he was; you don't think Phillips is going to be great in 2020. Maybe he will be just like Greg surprised you and everyone else.

Let's just drop it and move on because you're inflexible and unwilling to concede that you can't predict what Phillips or Harvey or any of the 34 Williams' will do.
That's waaaaay too much Logic for Joseph. Any more and his head will explode. These cats don't understand that the entire sport of CFB is predicated around turnover. The great teams are able to find the balance between replenishing talent, and Jr retention, so that their roster symmetry doesn't fall out of whack. In the past few yrs, through recruiting & transfers, DE is a position where MIA has actually done a good job of stockpiling talent & depth. So if there was one position where MIA was equipped to handle the loss of a 1st rd draft pick at, it would DE. MIA has had to replace NFL DEs every single yr of CMD's tenure @ MIA. Is Greg15 more talented than all of the players that came before him? Yes. What also cannot be disputed is that MIA currently has more talent & depth @ DE than it has has had in the previous 4 yrs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
why did Pope go to the ground on his catch? From that angle looked like it could have been a TD
mannn people (and not directed solely at you) always wanna criticize this kids every move. Maybe the throw was a little low, maybe a safety was coming down hill, maybe it was situational 3rd and 8 and he had 12 yards and just needed to make the sure catch and get the first down to keep the drive going, maybe he tripped over his shoelaces, or maybe he should have stayed on his feet. Regardless no need to harp on his every move, from all accounts he has had a good camp, let the man roll.

mannn people (and not directed solely at you) always wanna criticize this kids every move. Maybe the throw was a little low, maybe a safety was coming down hill, maybe it was situational 3rd and 8 and he had 12 yards and just needed to make the sure catch and get the first down to keep the drive going, maybe he tripped over his shoelaces, or maybe he should have stayed on his feet. Regardless no need to harp on his every move, from all accounts he has had a good camp, let the man roll.
People nitpick the fck out of Pope because it got popular on here to call him a bust. They'd rather be right about their opinions on him being a bust than just root for him. So, he goes down to secure the catch on a low throw, and people dog him for not scoring a TD.

Advertisement
Exactly. Make the catch first, period. The throw was not perfect. Had he tried to make a catch just so he could keep running, and drops the ball, that's bad. Very bad. He did his job, and the coaches would say the same thing.

Wow🤣 Touchy and personal about someone you don’t know? That’s ok.

I have played and been around football enough, met and know enough local coaches and scouts and I have attended enough live games often on the sideline as a guest at Florida high school games, to know a little something about football. As a matter of fact, I have seen live in person from the sidelines most of the Canes who played high school in Florida, as well as attending Paradise Camp and other CMR and Golden camps in the past. I have made my judgements based on what I have observed, and I am not always right.

And I think I can disagree with someone without being disagreeable. I can’t address your “scratching ***” and “eating boogers” comments because that isn’t about football, but I think we agree that Zion was thrust in a difficult position and was not prepared. I think it’s an established fact that Zion played poorly, and his PFF ratings were among the worst in college football. IMHO, Zion also isn’t as physically impressive as some of our higher ranked recruits with longer arms and bigger hands.

IMHO, Zion is not ready to exceed his two-star recruiting ranking. I saw enough film to see that Zion had too much physically and technique-wise to fix. I am not saying it’s impossible but it’s unlikely. Searles and past coaches weren’t great, but the Canes have upgraded the talent on the OL through recruiting and transfers.

However, if the season starts, and Zion becomes that great left tackle the Canes have been missing, I will be the first to come back on this blog and gladly say that I was wrong.
The problem with PFF numbers is they remove any context, and in turn, critical thought. He was not good last year. No one is arguing that. The issue is his coaches last year did absolutely nothing to help him perform better and the fact that this is an entirely new scheme. The entire line was an abomination last year, so I am not going to sit here and freak out over a 90 second clip that shows him playing, where they are probably just moving guys around and testing combinations to see who works together. Again, maybe he is terrible, maybe he winds up being solid, but last year is not the year I am going to make that determination off of. In the meantime, the guy seems to have busted his *** to get stronger and seemingly good weight. We will see after this year and the following, as you should when talking about OL.

Advertisement
For sure.
Well Sly's camps are like a "who's who" of South Florida HS football players. There's a ton of competition out there. Kids wanna test themselves against the best so they're willing to travel. Pretty much every big-time HS prospect in (at least) Broward has been to Sly camps.
Kids from all over the surrounding areas travel to Houston to get work

Advertisement
People nitpick the fck out of Pope because it got popular on here to call him a bust. They'd rather be right about their opinions on him being a bust than just root for him. So, he goes down to secure the catch on a low throw, and people dog him for not scoring a TD.
I was more encouraged that he was that wide open

Advertisement
Back