Scrimmage #2 8/22

No one on that line last year eclipsed 6+ sacks aside from Gr15 who had 15.5. I don’t think it’s Ludacris to think opposing defenses would scheme for GR15, leaving mismatches and opportunities for others which I’m not saying is a bad thing. Without GR15 I just think this d-line operates cohesively. Let me define this since you mfckers are having a hard time comprehending Cohesion: the action or fact of forming a united whole. I think multiple defenders on this line can have 6+ sacks without Gr15 if you think they can with Gr15 then that’s your opinion I’m not disagreeing, unlike you mfckers.
We understand, you are just incorrect. Thank you.

Advertisement
Just my opinion but even with all their flaws I think this defense misses the two senior linebackers more than it doesn’t GR15
Anything is possible, but I’m excited to see the increase in range and athleticism the LB’s this year will bring. It’s nothing against Shaq/Pinckney, who had good careers here. However, we do have more athletic, rangier dudes in those spots now. Will that make the defense better? We will see.

I will say, I liked what I saw from McCloud when he filled in for Pinckney in 18 (Va Tech) and 19 ( Pitt). I thought the range difference was noticeable and the D was good in both games.

Anyone who actually thinks the team would be better without possibly its best player is at least a few cards short of a deck.

Perhaps an entire suit.

Could be a new Wuhan virus symptom.

This team is not better off with GR15 opting out. He's a freak.

That said, GR15 last summer was a dude coming off I jury who had flashed in practice and very limited game time. Very similar to where Phillips is this summer, only with less recruiting pedigree. No reason to believe Phillips can't show out this year and make a real impact.

Miami fans are scary. Always scary. They must have just started watching college football, but we’ve replaced much better than a 10 game wonder and still won NCs. Taint, Clem, and Baga do it every year without cowering under a table and getting the chihuahua trembles.
1598207224134.png

Advertisement
GR had 15 sacks over the last 6-7 games. Phillips hasn't played 15 plays in nearly two years.

There really is no argument that doesn't require a reach of epic proportions.
Yep. And Justin Fields looked lost in very limited spot duty with UbaGA in 2018. Totally absurd to think he’d be a great QB in 2019 and be able to capably replace a 1st round QB.

Joe Burrow was a journeyman in 2018. His WRs were underachievers. His main RB was a two star bum who could never excel at this level. We know what happened to all that in 2019.

You guys need to realize that just because a college player didn’t light the world on fire in 2019 (Phillips) doesn’t mean he won’t in 2020.

What were Greg’s amazing numbers in 2018? Did you predict what he’d do in 2019? Starting 2019, he was a 3 star former HS Safety and backup DE. Now, he’s incapable of being replaced by a 270 pound 5 star athletic freak with a crazy motor. Why?

GR15 sounds like he had his eye on the NFL. Would we have gotten a Garvin like effort from him had he played? That’s a valid question.
No. He always played hard, Garvin had issues with effort multiple years.

Anyone who actually thinks the team would be better without possibly its best player is at least a few cards short of a deck.

Perhaps an entire suit.

Could be a new Wuhan virus symptom.
Get over it. We'redefinitely going to be better. It wasn't like that guy put us on his back and carried us in some games. He was a good part but wasn't here long enough or made that big of an impact were he's irreplaceable...

Advertisement
Key is getting him to play more than 5 snaps a game. Every time he was in there last year he was mauling whatever was in front of him. It's been a while since I saw a UM DT that looked like a wrecking ball shot out of a cannon.

With Chigozie and Bethel gone, I think the #3 DT spot is his to lose. Conditioning was an issue coming out of high school but now entering year 3 at UM so he should be in his best shape.

Wouldn't surprise me if he took a starting spot at some point during the year.

I will give CMD this, he doesn't bang his head against the wall doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. I was expecting a lot of "we just need to execute better" and Anos still being around this fall.

That’s his best trait. Even as DC we saw him implement the striker when the 3rd LB was getting torched. There’s certainly still a ton of questions about him as a HC but seeing what he did this offseason gives me hope that the other things will get fixed too (starting slow, bye week issues, playing down, etc). If he can win this year, this thing may snowball into something special.

Advertisement
Yep. And Justin Fields looked lost in very limited spot duty with UbaGA in 2018. Totally absurd to think he’d be a great QB in 2019 and be able to capably replace a 1st round QB.

Joe Burrow was a journeyman in 2018. His WRs were underachievers. His main RB was a two star bum who could never excel at this level. We know what happened to all that in 2019.

You guys need to realize that just because a college player didn’t light the world on fire in 2019 (Phillips) doesn’t mean he won’t in 2020.

What were Greg’s amazing numbers in 2018? Did you predict what he’d do in 2019? Starting 2019, he was a 3 star former HS Safety and backup DE. Now, he’s incapable of being replaced by a 270 pound 5 star athletic freak with a crazy motor. Why?
Not my point at all. I don’t doubt Phillips, I fully expect him to have a huge season. Its the spin that it’s somehow going to be an addition by subtraction.

GR is a Top 10 draft pick. Losing him is a huge blow. Phillips having a 10 sack year alleviates that, but it’s not “better”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back