Scrimmage #2 8/22

Restrepo’s from Broward and you’re from South Dade. The same guy trains them?
Gotta do what you gotta do when you aiming for greatness 🙏🏿 the trainer is in Fort Lauderdale (Sly Johnson, played at Miami of Ohio in the 90s)

I'm originally from Goulds but I live in NMB now & my brother lives in Perrine.

Advertisement
Last year he was decidedly better. Nesta was never right. I still expect Ford to be the best guy inside but nesta should be a lot better. Don’t sleep on Miller , he keeps getting better.
I feel like DT is the key to defensive success this year. They need to clog up the middle better than last year. I feel we have faster LBs to react to the runs up the middle as well.

just now recognized that the U isn’t on the helmet. I remember manny saying something about it in the spring but I hope when fall camp ends and practice starts they are back on.
No. It’s a game time decision.

Advertisement
This team is not better off with GR15 opting out. He's a freak.

That said, GR15 last summer was a dude coming off I jury who had flashed in practice and very limited game time. Very similar to where Phillips is this summer, only with less recruiting pedigree. No reason to believe Phillips can't show out this year and make a real impact.

Not doubting that for a second brother. I fully expect Phillips to have a monster year now that he's healthy. Just can't get behind the whole "other guys have room to shine" angle.

It's pretty ludicrous thinking.

Even if Jaelan turns out to be better than a projected top 10/15 pick (a big IF), we're certainly not better without Greg. Given the tempo and pace of modern CFB, our 4th DE is important and will get a significant amount of snaps. Instead of Harvey getting those snaps, now we're gonna rely on Cameron or Chantz. Of course, all of this is still assuming that none of our DEs get injured or get Covid.

Greg is not the best player who ever or will ever play at UM. I don't want to fold the program because Greg is sitting out. We could still win a lot of games without Greg. But it's pretty obvious we will be worse without Greg. If Jaelan ends up being better than Greg, then certainly a good portion of that loss will be minimized, but having 2 top 15 picks makes you better than having 1 top 15 pick and vice-versa.
Greg is a better player than our 4th DE so there’s no arguing against the point that we’ll be less talented without him. That’s not always the only or best predictor of whether or not the team can be better, which is all I care about.

There’s only so many reps in a game. If Jaelan can give us what I think he can with more reps, then it’s really no different than us losing great players in the past and being better or just as good without them.

All the great college teams lose equally or more productive players than Greg and keep humming along. I’ve already pointed out a bunch of examples. There are hundreds more just in the last 5 years.

Advertisement
Midlo’s not NYSOM nor is anyone else on here. NYSOM still lurks from time to time - he was on the board this morning - but they won’t let him back on as a participant.

He-Man No GIF by Masters Of The Universe

From someone that was at the scrimmage.....

King did not have a great night. Inconsistent and erratic on several throws. J. Phillips and Jordan Miller looked good.
I think that's who he is.
IMO we'll get frustrated a bit by his accuracy in games throughout the season.
His complete stat line however, will make it easier to overlook.

Advertisement
Just my opinion but even with all their flaws I think this defense misses the two senior linebackers more than it doesn’t GR15

Advertisement
Is this line better without gr15? Probably not. Are we deep enough where we can fill in without missing him? I think so.

it sucks he declared but that’s where his head was, atleast he did it and spared us going half assed during the season like garvin and joe Jackson before. I love our canes players no matter what but it would be hard for me to know we had a first round pick here half assing it.

Exactly my point I made earlier. People find it hard to believe we can replace gr15 with someone as talented, or gasp, even more talented athletically
Miami fans are scary. Always scary. They must have just started watching college football, but we’ve replaced much better than a 10 game wonder and still won NCs. Taint, Clem, and Baga do it every year without cowering under a table and getting the chihuahua trembles.

Advertisement
Back