Scrimmage #2 8/22

I'm not sure we're better or worse with Greg, but if Phillips can stay healthy, he will absolutely terrorize opponents and will definitely be our next big star. Athletically, he eats Greg's lunch, and he's got a motor that doesn't stop. That combo of traits will be unstoppable.

No Greg means more reps for Phillips, and I don't think we skip a beat with Phillips out there.

I know it's hard for Canes fans so starved for great players again to believe, but it's absolutely possible to replace great players with better players. Clemson has done it repeatedly. So does Baga. We used to do it all the time too.
100% true but for the depth purposes it stings. I think the two dudes arguing their points are both correct, they just are presenting different arguments.

Advertisement
Exactly my point I made earlier. People find it hard to believe we can replace gr15 with someone as talented, or gasp, even more talented athletically
I’ve said before that I think because Phillips didn’t sign here out of HS and hasn’t played in a couple years, that most of our fans don’t realize how talented he is. There were a number of people who thought he was the #1 recruit in the country in 2017. He’s the most touted prospect to come to Miami since Seantrel Henderson over 10 years ago.

Of course I’d prefer to also have Rousseau on the team, but I’m pretty excited to see Phillips.

I’ve said before that I think because Phillips didn’t sign here out of HS and hasn’t played in a couple years, that most of our fans don’t realize how talented he is. There were a number of people who thought he was the #1 recruit in the country in 2017. He’s the most touted prospect to come to Miami since Seantrel Henderson over 10 years ago.

Of course I’d prefer to also have Rousseau on the team, but I’m pretty excited to see Phillips.
We all would like greg out there, but to think there is o possible way of replacing him is ridiculous. Our dline talent is insane. Seeing them up close twice now in the scrimmages has convinced me gr15 will not be missed at all. We can revisit that later but from what I've seen I stand by what I've said

No. Stop it - we are not better without Rousseau.

You guys sound like those people during The Big 3 Era who claimed the Heat were better when Wade wasn't on the floor.
I don't think he's saying we're better, he's saying that you can replace a great player with one even more talented. Pretty sure everyone agrees we were better depth wise with Greg on the squad. The way im reading it I think some are projecting that Phillips may have a bigger impact because hes a more gifted athlete. Thats how I'm reading some of these comments.

Advertisement
Exhibit A of mfckers with weak reading comprehension chiming in. I didn’t say this defense as a whole will be better without GR15. I said schematically the defensive line can perhaps Gel better without GR15, considering when all play to their strengths. Meaning multiple players with 10+ sacks, instead of the core focus being on one player with double digit sacks. Each bring something different to the table. But let CIS troll for few likes and giggles.

jonah hill no GIF

I don't think he's saying we're better, he's saying that you can replace a great player with one even more talented. Pretty sure everyone agrees we were better depth wise with Greg on the squad. The way im reading it I think some are projecting that Phillips may have a bigger impact because hes a more gifted athlete. Thats how I'm reading some of these comments.
GR had 15 sacks over the last 6-7 games. Phillips hasn't played 15 plays in nearly two years.

There really is no argument that doesn't require a reach of epic proportions.

Advertisement
Last year he was decidedly better. Nesta was never right. I still expect Ford to be the best guy inside but nesta should be a lot better. Don’t sleep on Miller , he keeps getting better.

Miller is the guy I’m most excited to see on the defense. He has the size and athletic ability to be a really, really good player. Not saying that he puts it all together this season but if/when he does, that’s an All ACC type DT.

Im surprised no one has brought this up yet, did you notice how Manny changed masks this time so he didn’t have to keep pulling it back up? That’s the type of adjustments we need. 15-0.
I will give CMD this, he doesn't bang his head against the wall doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. I was expecting a lot of "we just need to execute better" and Anos still being around this fall.

GR had 15 sacks over the last 6-7 games. Phillips hasn't played 15 plays in two years.

Im not on the were better with out GR15 on the team. I was only pointing out what some one else was stating. I think it got misinterpreted. But ****t I might have misinterpreted it as well. Im actually ****ed hes not coming back. If Phillips is a nasty as some are saying, how sick would it have been to see him and Gr15 at the same time coming off the edges.

Advertisement
I think we are fine in base D with what we have, we will miss GR15 in the nascar package though. He was fantastic at rushing the passer from the middle of that alignment, not every end can slide inside like that. Phillips, GR15 and Roche would have been almost unfair.

Still a nice unit though, should be around the top of the conference.

Advertisement
Miller is the guy I’m most excited to see on the defense. He has the size and athletic ability to be a really, really good player. Not saying that he puts it all together this season but if/when he does, that’s an All ACC type DT.
Key is getting him to play more than 5 snaps a game. Every time he was in there last year he was mauling whatever was in front of him. It's been a while since I saw a UM DT that looked like a wrecking ball shot out of a cannon.

GR had 15 sacks over the last 6-7 games. Phillips hasn't played 15 plays in nearly two years.

This team is not better off with GR15 opting out. He's a freak.

That said, GR15 last summer was a dude coming off I jury who had flashed in practice and very limited game time. Very similar to where Phillips is this summer, only with less recruiting pedigree. No reason to believe Phillips can't show out this year and make a real impact.

Advertisement
Back