Scouting Clemson

Advertisement
I just watched a condensed version of Clemson’s NC St. game. Those guys provided a blueprint on how to attack Clemson’s defense. I was surprised by how poorly Clemson’s D line played.

I am also not that impressed with Clemson’s O line. Bryant makes plays happen with his feet (whether to throw or pass).

I feel good about our chances.

Only problem with watching the NC State and FSU games for defense is the fact that we had four starters out for NC State and 5 for the FSU game. All but one of those guys are back for this game. We were hurting BAD in the secondary in both of those games but just about everyone is back. I think one of our corners might be out this week but thats all that I know of.

Lamar and Fields are listed out for this game. Was Fields your third CB?

Yes... he's been out for about 8 games only returned last week with little pt

Good luck on Saturday, Manny

Haha. At least that accusation shifted to him.

I almost exclusively watched their D in about 5 games - mostly focusing on the comparable athletic matchups (NC st, FSU, etc.). I've mentioned on other threads my biggest concern is how they vary their looks. They stand up rushers (sometimes 3). They line up LBs in double A, sometimes on the edge, sometimes drop DEs. ****, I watched them drop 9 on a 3rd and passing situation. Ostensibly, this sounds bad for Rosier/Richt. However, it does present some opportunities in 5WR (with Homer/Dallas).

To get the conversation going, here's a glimpse into my thinking: if Homer/Dallas get at least 8 pass looks before the 3rd Q, we're winning. Maybe a really tight, low 20s-type game, but I'm terrible at predicting scores and I'll take any kind of W we can get. I'd hit Clemson on the edge with Homer and Dallas and then send them upfield on angle routes. I'd then look to work Langham and Cager behind those inside routes. They'll be there. We also have to get "lucky" with timing on a vertical route from the slot.

Puncher's chance, man. Hopefully, we go down swinging on both sides of the ball.

you highlight something that concerns me. Their defensive flexibility and variation with their blitzing is concerning. I'm hoping Richt does not insist on keeping Rosier in the pocket throughout the blitzing - can result in a pick 6 or a couple bad INTs. That's where the game can get out of hand. I don't mind Richt going conservative at times just to try and milk clock with the expectation that our defense can stop their offense.

I almost exclusively watched their D in about 5 games - mostly focusing on the comparable athletic matchups (NC st, FSU, etc.). I've mentioned on other threads my biggest concern is how they vary their looks. They stand up rushers (sometimes 3). They line up LBs in double A, sometimes on the edge, sometimes drop DEs. ****, I watched them drop 9 on a 3rd and passing situation. Ostensibly, this sounds bad for Rosier/Richt. However, it does present some opportunities in 5WR (with Homer/Dallas).

To get the conversation going, here's a glimpse into my thinking: if Homer/Dallas get at least 8 pass looks before the 3rd Q, we're winning. Maybe a really tight, low 20s-type game, but I'm terrible at predicting scores and I'll take any kind of W we can get. I'd hit Clemson on the edge with Homer and Dallas and then send them upfield on angle routes. I'd then look to work Langham and Cager behind those inside routes. They'll be there. We also have to get "lucky" with timing on a vertical route from the slot.

Puncher's chance, man. Hopefully, we go down swinging on both sides of the ball.

you highlight something that concerns me. Their defensive flexibility and variation with their blitzing is concerning. I'm hoping Richt does not insist on keeping Rosier in the pocket throughout the blitzing - can result in a pick 6 or a couple bad INTs. That's where the game can get out of hand. I don't mind Richt going conservative at times just to try and milk clock with the expectation that our defense can stop their offense.

Same time, if Malik is seeing the field and making good decisions....and getting some luck, he could burn them on those blitzes.

Malik has been surprisingly tough to bring down this year. He runs hard.

Same time, if Malik is seeing the field and making good decisions....and getting some luck, he could burn them on those blitzes.

No question - by in large he hasn’t made many mistakes this year. But, later on in the year against defenses that ran more variety, he got away with a bunch of throws that were either dangerously close to being intercepted or dropped by the opponent.

Advertisement
Highseas:
Great writeups as usual. Here's a question - is there a game/scouting evaluation that you thought you had pegged but were completely wrong on all accounts? I know nobody expected the Pitt game to go down the way it did but were you surprised/wrong about another game this year?

I've already mentioned how I was dead wrong about the VT game. I hadn't actually scouted them ahead of the game but I was familiar with Fuente's offense and assumed they would create confusion with their option run game. At that time I was thoroughly unimpressed with Richt's offensive scheme so I struggled to see how Miami would score against a top 20 defense. I think that was the game where the offense tried some new wrinkles like the zone read where the DT was left unblocked. Since then I've been satisfied with the offensive scheme and playcalling as Richt consistently identifies and adjusts to what the defense is trying to do. I'm in the camp who thought last week's faceplant fell entirely on Rosier's lack of accuracy and there's really nothing Richt could have done differently in the 2nd half to improve the result.

You can look up the successful ATS picks I've posted on here this year. Last year I forecasted the CFP well when many thought OSU was gonna handle Clemson. I don't watch that much CFB in general though so there isn't a huge sample size that I'm working with.

Bottom line: Miami has the coaching and talent to run the table and it really just boils down to execution and matchups. The key factors tomorrow are the Miami run game, protection vs. blitz and Miami's front-7 vs. read option attack (particularly the counter/fake plays). Other than that let's hope TCU wins because Oklahoma is the one team I wouldn't wanna face and I'm sure Clemson fans feel the same. The OU offense is elite in every position group and Miami hasn't shown the offensive consistency to keep up with that. Fortunately Gary Patterson is probably the toughest coach to beat twice in the same season.

Highseas:
Great writeups as usual. Here's a question - is there a game/scouting evaluation that you thought you had pegged but were completely wrong on all accounts? I know nobody expected the Pitt game to go down the way it did but were you surprised/wrong about another game this year?

I've already mentioned how I was dead wrong about the VT game. I hadn't actually scouted them ahead of the game but I was familiar with Fuente's offense and assumed they would create confusion with their option run game. At that time I was thoroughly unimpressed with Richt's offensive scheme so I struggled to see how Miami would score against a top 20 defense. I think that was the game where the offense tried some new wrinkles like the zone read where the DT was left unblocked. Since then I've been satisfied with the offensive scheme and playcalling as Richt consistently identifies and adjusts to what the defense is trying to do. I'm in the camp who thought last week's faceplant fell entirely on Rosier's lack of accuracy and there's really nothing Richt could have done differently in the 2nd half to improve the result.
We were also in the midst of bringing out the 5WR/empty action. I partly disagree with you on last week. I understand Rosier was ridiculously off, but I thought we left at least a couple things in the bag that may have helped him get into a better rhythm, or at least tried some different things in the run game we had already shown (counter lead, as one example). Those who've said "he couldn't even throw a bubble!" aren't wrong, but Rosier seems to need to move around, get going, take a hit. We basically just dropped back, left Rosier in the pocket with his erratic feet and mechanics, and said "hit those guys." He clearly couldn't hit anything, but that's done.

Rosier's like a tin man who needs oil massaged in to get working. Only, he's got the heart the lion was looking for when he's faced serious adversity. I'm excited to see what he and Richt come out with...

It would be really nice to see Homer rip off a 40+ run early in the game to get them on their heels. If we cant run the ball, its going to be very hard to win this game.

Advertisement

No question - by in large he hasn’t made many mistakes this year. But, later on in the year against defenses that ran more variety, he got away with a bunch of throws that were either dangerously close to being intercepted or dropped by the opponent.
You ain’t lying my friend.

I didn’t think much of Malik going into the season. Keeping things in perspective, that kid has been pretty amazing this year.

After what I’ve seen from this team, I don’t doubt anything they can do.

Great post @HighSeas. Others have said it, but your posts help elevate the board.

I agree 100% on Clemson's LBs. They impressed me more than I expected. #57 is going to be a huge loss for them.

Etienne reminds me a little bit of Josh Adams, a little smaller with better acceleration. Straight-linish, great speed, poor contact balance as you noted. If we can disrupt like we did against VT/Notre Dame, I don't think their backs have the creativity or power to overcome it.

Glad u got to see them play, I remember earlier in year u emphatically said our backers were better and I mentioned to you we have no one playing at level of #6 .. and Lamar was developing into beast..

Can t wait to see both front 7 up close.. like u mentioned on dline, we are deeper.. we both got some dude's in the ternches

Advertisement
Back