Scott Pagano DT Grad transfer from Clemson

Paranos

All-ACC
A mega grad. transfer has hit the national market as Clemson defensive tackle Scott Pagano is transferring.
Per a source, Clemson defensive tackle Scott Pagano (Honolulu, Hi./Moanalua) is transferring from Clemson, as first-reported by 247Sports.
Pagano met with Clemson coach Dabo Swinney yesterday afternoon and informed him of his intentions this morning.
Pagano is expected to receive his release from Clemson in the next 24 hours.
He graduated in December with a degree in Sociology.
He’s immediately eligible and has one year of eligibility remaining.
Pagano racked up 93 tackles, eight tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, seven quarterback pressures and one pass breakup in 705 career snaps.
Pagano (6-4, 295) bench presses 470 pounds and reps 225 pounds 38 times.
Pagano was a key cog in Clemson’s defensive line last fall en route to a National Title.
He logged 299 snaps in 12 games including four starts.
Defensive tackle, especially proven commodities over 6-foot-2 with power and the ability to move, are the hardest positions to find in recruiting.
Look for their to be a major national market for Pagano going forward.
CBSSports.com currently ranks Pagano as one of the top 10 defensive tackles in the 2018 NFL Draft Class.
He logged 25 snaps per game last season.
Playing behind future Top 10 picks Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence, the No. 3 defensive tackle for Clemson will be viewed as good if not better than most No. 1 defensive tackles for more than half of the major college programs.
Pagano could be positioned to log more than double that amount of snaps per game at his next school of choice.
He has the size and versatility to play several spots along the defensive line both in odd and even front schemes.
The former four-star recruit was ranked as the nation’s No. 24 defensive tackle in the 2013 class by 247SportsComposite.
He signed with Clemson choosing the Tigers over 49 other verbal offers
Clemson transfer Scott Pagano reportedly heard from 32 schools in 18 hours - SBNation.com

Advertisement
Interesting. Clemsons DLine was pretty stacked the last few years but he still stood out at times.

Advertisement
Miami would be better off going after him as 1 year replacement for C. Jenkins, than bring in Glenn Login from LSU.

He's trying to go closer to home

His Family moved to South Carolina to be closer to him at Clemson and his dad is stationed in Virginia. I think the interest in the West Coast is merely from a cultural fit. But his ultimate goal is to get more film for the NFL to evaluate him, much in the same way Adrian Colbert did in coming to Miami as a Grad Transfer from Texas.

Here is an article discussing his family's move to South Carolina
Transfers show Clemson a victim of its own success - Clemson Football News | TigerNet

his mother and two sisters moved to Central two years ago and live within five minutes of Death Valley. His dad is in the Navy and is stationed in Virginia and comes home every weekend, and there are aunts and uncles close by.

Go Canes

Last edited:
I think we possibly look into a grad transfer DT next year. We are good this year with willis, mcintosh, norton and moten. **** garvin and ford might get some playing time.

He's trying to go closer to home

One day we'll have a method of expedient travel....possibly in the skies.....that'll actually make these issues irrelevant. God bless the young man in the interim.

*I rescind the previous snark if someone finds out that his momma had stage 4 cancer or something. I double down on it when geography proves to not have been the real issue when he announces his destination

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trying to be closer to home only matters if he is in Hawaii. A plane flight is a plane flight.

I'd be all over this guy too! Can never have enough DL and we just lost Courtel. Plus Willis was banged up last year

I think we possibly look into a grad transfer DT next year. We are good this year with willis, mcintosh, norton and moten. **** garvin and ford might get some playing time.

No need for to look for a Grad transfer in 2018 because Miami will loaded up on DT's in the 2018 prep class by signing at least 3 interior linemen.

Willis is susceptible to the injury bug plus he is a 3 Tech DT.
Mcintosh is a 3 Tech DT
Garvin is D-End so that is completely different position not to mention he should be red shirted.
Jon Ford is a 3 Tech who should be redshirted this year also.

Scott Pagano would come in as a 1 Tech that can also provide in major inside pass rush. Hence why I said he could replace Courtel Jenkins as a 1 Tech for one year. At NT miami currently has Norton and Moten. An Moten has a tendency to disappear at times during games hence why he is a rotation guy that provides quality depth and not the starter.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami would be better off going after him as 1 year replacement for C. Jenkins, than bring in Glenn Login from LSU.

Uh, no.

Plus, this kid's from Hawaii and wants to be closer to home. He's not coming here.

Read the linked article I posted his family moved to South Carolina to be closer to him and his dad in the Navy an stationed in Virginia. So they are on the East Coast now, I think the referenced interest in West Schools is because he is familiar with a lot the dline coaches in the PAC 12.

But ultimately this young man want to get more on field time and film for the NFL to evaluate him, which is what he could have at Miami! At Miami he would 15-20 snaps a game playing for the best DLine coach in America, helping him further his development.

Go Canes

Uh, no.

Plus, this kid's from Hawaii and wants to be closer to home. He's not coming here.

Read the linked article I posted his family moved to South Carolina to be closer to him and his dad in the Navy an stationed in Virginia. So they are on the East Coast now, I think the referenced interest in West Schools is because he is familiar with a lot the dline coaches in the PAC 12.

But ultimately this young man want to get more on field time and film for the NFL to evaluate him, which is what he could have at Miami! At Miami he would 15-20 snaps a game playing for the best DLine coach in America, helping him further his development.

Go Canes

He got that in Clemson. He wants to be a starter.

Advertisement

Uh, no.

Glenn Logan is a good player don't get me wrong but Miami is loaded to the brim with 3 Tech DT types and Strong Side D-Ends types, what Miami needs is more big bodied 1 Tech Types that can run. After Kendrick Norton the only other NT is Athony Moten an he is rotational type unfortunately for him this late in his career. Hopefully he take a huge step forward in the spring and over the summer in order to finish out his Senior Year strong.

It never hurts to hedge your bet by bringing a 5th year transfer player like Scott Pagano, he is a one and done which won't affect Miami's ability to sign an extra prep dlinemen for the 2018 class were as LSU transfer Glenn Logan would. An as I mentioned Miami needs to sign two to three; 0 & 1 Tech types for the 2018 class.

Go Canes

Uh, no.

Go Canes

Derp?

You read your own link. He got 299 snaps in 14 games which is over 20 per game....he wants to start.

Uh, no.

Glenn Logan is a good player don't get me wrong but Miami is loaded to the brim with 3 Tech DT types and Strong Side D-Ends types, what Miami needs is more big bodied 1 Tech Types that can run. After Kendrick Norton the only other NT is Athony Moten an he is rotational type unfortunately for him this late in his career. Hopefully he take a huge step forward in the spring and over the summer in order to finish out his Senior Year strong.

It never hurts to hedge your bet by bringing a 5th year transfer player like Scott Pagano, he is a one and done which won't affect Miami's ability to sign an extra prep dlinemen for the 2018 class were as LSU transfer Glenn Logan would. An as I mentioned Miami needs to sign two to three; 0 & 1 Tech types for the 2018 class.

Go Canes

Logan wouldn't be able to play until 2018 anyway. There's a small possibility - but still a possibility that we lost Norton, McIntosh, and Willis to the draft after next season. Logan would essentially be on scout team next year if he were to come here. There's nothing wrong with taking on Logan.

Advertisement
Back