Scholarship rumor

Advertisement
20-23 (1-2 Prep), we likely start the 2013 Season with 82-83 scholarships is my guess.

Well educated guess, ol chap. No doubt we will probably have a couple of guys leave during/after spring ball who have not progressed like they should have

I just don't think we will have the full 85 scholarships being used, this has nothing really to do with sanctions either.

A kid or 2 will leave the program and 1-2 will prep. I think will be on pace for 85/86 but the things I stated before will happen.

No one said anything about him not being at fault. Only that, there was nothing that was so bad that Golden had no choice but to kick him off. If Golden wanted him back, he would probably still be here.

so you know everything has happened? are you part of the coaching staff?

if Paul was pushed out, why did he tweet saying he thanks the university for its support as he leaves to pursue degree elsewhere?

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. Gianni Paul didn't do anything wrong. Was never suspended or anything, and yet he's gone. Meanwhile, RaShawn Scott gets suspended indefinitely and is now back on the team. Once again, you guys don't seem to understand that things like this happen and it isn't always done so in a negative way. There's ways of doing it where no one has to look like the bad guy.

How do you know Paul did nothing wrong? There were constant rumors swirling about him being a knucklehead. This is why assuming that Al is running off all the guys who happen to leave is faulty.

How does one "open up" all those extra scholarships when 20 this year puts us at the 85 limit?

Guys leave every year. Kids can take their diploma and go home with eligibility remaining if they're not part of the staffs plans. Some kid 'retires' due to injury. Someone violates a team rule and is asked to go. Someone else has academic challenges and transfers. Someone transfers for PT. Maybe someone transfers because it's just not the right environment for them. Often (not this year), someone goes pro. There are a bunch of kids on our team who *could* wind up in this situation.

The thing people mistake when discussing it is they act like it's some black/white issue -- AG knows which kids are in danger of failing out, which kids can't heal from their injuries, which kids will never play and might want to transfer to a better place for them. He knows which kids will be additive on the practice squad and which won't. Which kids smoke too much pot. He's doubtlessly talked to the kids involved more than once. When spring practice is done, some kids will just up and leave. You can bank on it.

The list *might* include one or more of the following:

--Seniors: Cornileus, Cain
--Kids buried on the depth chart: R. Williams, King, Wells, Perry, D. Jones
--Kid with injury who may want to concentrate on BB: D. Thompson

I don't dispute anything you just posted. The problem is signing over the 85 limit and then relying on the hope that some players will leave. I don't see that as a sound strategy. I equate it to writing checks on an account with insufficient funds to cover the checks thinking that you normally make enough money the next week to cover that situation. Sometimes, it doesn't work out, as is evidenced by all the cases in the criminal system involving people who thought they'd cover that check.

On a side note, I find it highly doubtful that Don Cornileus will be gone considering he played so much last year. And if they wanted Kelvin Quit gone, they would have kept him off the team after he quit last year. Instead, Al let him come back because he's not about running guys off.

Advertisement
franchise, UM has never really done that and won't do it under al. we aren't oversigning and purging the roster of good quality contributing kids. read my post on page 5, i think. we will sign enough to be at 84 or 85, 2 won't qualify and 2 will be gone over the summer. somehow, we will end up w/ 79-82 to start the season.
and yeah, it makes sense that golden would run off a guy that produced and contributed like paul did last season for no reason.

Last edited:
franchise, UM has never really done that and won't do it under al. we aren't oversigning and purging the roster of good quality contributing kids. read my post on page 5, i think. we will sign enough to be at 84 or 85, 2 won't qualify and 2 will be gone over the summer. somehow, we will end up w/ 79-82 to start the season.
and yeah, it makes sense that golden would run off a guy that produced and contributed like paul did last season for no reason.

UM is all about building positive momentum with the public. No way in **** that Al is going to sacrifice that by getting greedy and signing over the 85 limit. Then, in the event that everyone qualifies (they've been doing a much better job the last couple years of making sure recruits are academically set to qualify for admission, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that everyone qualifies) and shows up in August ready to matriculate at UM and you have to break the news to 1 or 2 guys that there's no room for them how do you think that will play out? UM will get killed for that sh#t, and Al will f$ck up his relationship with whatever HS he f#cked over.

I am almost certain that we'll lose a player/signee or two or more sometime between now and the start of the season, but I would NEVER sign over the 85 limit gambling that that happens.

no way in **** he does anything close to that. tell a kid to grey shirt? not gonna take the hit publicly. not with all that's going on positive.
some guys in this thread think he will sign whoever wants to come and instead of telling a recruit to grey shirt, he will just run a non starting upperclass player off the team for no reason.

bump for all the new names being mentioned. unless you don't think we're getting thomas, collins, grace, kirkland etc.

Advertisement
what new names? we aren't signing 25.

Seriously? Do you read only two threads?

Look, believe it or not, I don't care. I provided info I received from someone I trust that is extremely close to a recruit. Who's to say everyone is eligible? Who's to say everyone will be back? Who's to say everyone will qualify?

You've followed recruiting so long, according to yourself, you should be considering these variables. Regardless, I could care less about your antagonistic, know it all, holier than thou bull**** you post everywhere. BTW, did you settle your bet yet, welcher?

what new names? we aren't signing 25.

Seriously? Do you read only two threads?

Look, believe it or not, I don't care. I provided info I received from someone I trust that is extremely close to a recruit. Who's to say everyone is eligible? Who's to say everyone will be back? Who's to say everyone will qualify?

You've followed recruiting so long, according to yourself, you should be considering these variables. Regardless, I could care less about your antagonistic, know it all, holier than thou bull**** you post everywhere. BTW, did you settle your bet yet, welcher?

ETHER

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back