Scaife has been getting bullied all year

It’s odd because Campbell looks like a tackle and Scaife looks like a guard. But, the reality has been Scaife has played better at tackle and Campbell better at guard.

I wonder if they will look at switching that during this bye week. That would be the time to do it.

Advertisement
What's odd is that the transition from tackle to guard is usually one that alot of tackles can make.

Scaife has been the exact opposite. It's pretty clear his comfort level is ALOT higher at tackle. He's really regressed this year which I never thought would have happened considering the promise he showed early in his career.

The only reason some think he is better at tackle is because he can be more finesse.. Dude has not improved and seems comfortable no one will take his position. We need to raise the standard at oline heavy..
It's time for Scarce to sit. On the Bench.

The only reason some think he is better at tackle is because he can be more finesse.. Dude has not improved and seems comfortable no one will take his position. We need to raise the standard at oline heavy..
Nah it’s more that’s where he plays best. It’s always been that way , since hs.

Advertisement
straight trash. Man is rivers anywhere near being able to compete at guard? Is Rivers too weak? Is Donaldson possibly going to be back after the bye week? Can we kick Campbell in to the guard spot?

our interior line is so bad at run blocking.
I see where MInnesota has a 400 pound Offensive Tackle. So, there's hope yet for Donaldson. Oh wait, just learned the Minnesota guy is 6'9.

He's not a guard. He is actually the best option for LT. Put the bigger, stronger guys in there.
Last year everyone claimed he was better at guard - he seems to have lost whatever that was. Maybe he's playing injured, but when he got rag-dolled in the interior like that, it didn't look good.

air dancer GIF by Justin Timberlake

Hes not a guard. Never was one........his best position is either out wide at Tackle or center. The only reason he s at guard is because he is short. Its acually annoying as ive likely been saying this 3 years now. UGA had a guy who is/was very similar to scaife play Tackle at a high level. The crazy part is John Campbell isnt bad looking at guard...but they keep him out at Tackle because he is 6'5.

GAYNOR isnt much better or better at all he gets B8tch repeatedly. Its not seen as much because he is at center. In fact one of the plays Scaife kind of got bulld ozed was because Gaynor was of no use on the DL game.

Our interior consist of 3 centers....THATS why we cant get much movement inside...add to it LBS jus blitzing the a gaps because we are so predictable on run downs and have a qb that we dont want to run the ball. If thats the case he has to go wild cat a bit more than he has shown

Advertisement
Where is Cleveland Reed?

I can't evaluate OL for sh*t, but people who can told me he was a road grader.

Where is he?

What's odd is that the transition from tackle to guard is usually one that alot of tackles can make.

Scaife has been the exact opposite. It's pretty clear his comfort level is ALOT higher at tackle. He's really regressed this year which I never thought would have happened considering the promise he showed early in his career.

Im going to keep it real. Me personally as a recruit....I was Scaife. I mean same height/ body type as well. I remember Art Kehoe told me at a camp i would be a good center (and i looked down on him, Center was seen like a sucky position to me)...I played Tackle. When i played in college they would at times try to put me at guard as we had alot of length with tackle guys 6'5-6'7 guys. But i was better than them as a tackle. I also wasnt very strong..but i absolutely HATED being put at guard and was uncomfortable there. They figured it out and just left me out wide..being backed up by 6'7 315pd guy...and i was Scaife size.

Being a guard is a mindset thing. Its a phone booth. I worked well at Tackle because i cmae from a basketball background and had great feet and longer arms. I would out thnk the ends, move well..shield them to the outside,e etc. On the inside it isnt the same game. Scaife likely goes through that same feeling.

Scaife isnt better than jarrid at what he does at RT. Scaife is tweener who is finesse. I think some overrate him.. Dude is a 3rd year player and getting worked from UAB game til now..

Hes not a guard. Never was one........his best position is either out wide at Tackle or center. The only reason he s at guard is because he is short. Its acually annoying as ive likely been saying this 3 years now. UGA had a guy who is/was very similar to scaife play Tackle at a high level. The crazy part is John Campbell isnt bad looking at guard...but they keep him out at Tackle because he is 6'5.

GAYNOR isnt much better or better at all he gets B8tch repeatedly. Its not seen as much because he is at center. In fact one of the plays Scaife kind of got bulld ozed was because Gaynor was of no use on the DL game.

Our interior consist of 3 centers....THATS why we cant get much movement inside...add to it LBS jus blitzing the a gaps because we are so predictable on run downs and have a qb that we dont want to run the ball. If thats the case he has to go wild cat a bit more than he has shown
I think they need to put Campbell in at OG. No way he isn’t one of the top 5. I’ve always wanted to see Scaife at OG, but I’ve seen enough. Move him back to tackle. We have 2 weeks to get a new unit figured out.

Advertisement
He's not a guard. He is actually the best option for LT. Put the bigger, stronger guys in there.
No he isn’t. Zion is and keeps proving it over and over again. He went up against another NFL guy and dominated. The REAL problem is that we’re playing 3 centers on the interior.

Another I will say on the OL in general, is Gaynor needs to start snapping the ball better in the shotgun. He is consistently low and it forces King to not get as much depth on his drop because he has to reach down. For a short qb, that matters. Throws timing off as well. It happens a lot.

Again, 2 weeks to figure this out for the second half of the season.

Advertisement
Agree that we need the top 5 OL on the field. Campbell should compete for reps with Scaife AND Clark at G. Rivers in the mix too. With the bye we have some time to shore up assignments and build a bit of chemistry if change occurs.
Don't feel Gaynor should get a pass here, but changing C at this stage of the game is probably unrealistic.

Now is the time to make a change up front. Need some new blood at guard since we're on our 3rd straight OC who insists on pounding the ball straight ahead when it obviously won't work.

LT Scaife / Nelson
LG Campbell / Traore
C Gaynor / Clark
RG Rivers / Reed
RT Williams / Washington

Again I ask what are we doing in the weight room? Guys praise Feeley on this board but we are a weak team.

I use the UM gym facilities. I frequently bump into the kids (although not since covid). The last time I saw Scaife--maybe a year plus ago?--I was surprised at how thin he was.

I think he's a guy that is a victim of a lack of depth. Ideally, a kid like this comes in, redshirts and spends the 1st year bulking up and working on developing his strength. But, because of the lack of depth, he's been a three-year starter and never had that luxury.

To be fair, he's played everywhere we've asked without complaint. Surprised by his regression but he's playing out of position so the blame can probably be spread around evenly.

Advertisement
Back