SB Nation breakdown on this year's team

Even including the brief golden era of the Butch Davis and Coker years, Miami has only four 10-win seasons in the last 20 years -- one fewer than Missouri, as many as Iowa, and one more than South Carolina and Oklahoma State. No matter how good those 2000-03 squads were (and holy moly, were they awesome), 2003 was a while ago.

4 10-win seasons in the last 2 decades really puts things into perspective ...

And I agree ... 2003 was an extremely long time ago.

Advertisement
To me it's not a question about having a "losing season" in terms of wins and losses. I don't think we'll go 6-7, 5-7, 4-8. Those are indeed losing seasons, but to me so is an 8-4 season. In year 5 we should be winning the Coastal, and pushing 10 wins. Another mediocre season is a losing season, and 8-4 is just that.
Lol, keep telling yourselves that we are going to have a losing season this year.

I think you have the number of seasons incorrect. This is really Al Golden's second season. If they pull an 8-4, win their bowl game, and finish strong with a great Swag 16 class, you can mark this down as a successful season.

Mods start cracking down on these trolls

6-7 is a decent job? look the year he gave up the coastal and we were playing alot of fresh is one thing. even 9-4 when we started 7-0 then duke and dorsett went down plus Deon was basically injured all year. i can cut slack. 6-7 with that much talent. get out of my face.

its the 6-7 with all that talent on top of:
how the 2013 season ended. beyond embarrassing and pathetic. gave up the coastal twice in embarrassing fashion. should have been fired after the embarrassing bowel game
2012 and 2013 defenses were historically bad. the last 6 games or so of 2013 were just as bad or worse than the 2012 defense.

Advertisement
This time next year we should all be rejoicing in a new coaching staff.

I hope so, but I somehow believe they'll bring Golden back or they will ***** up the hiring of a new coach in finding one that is full of all the non football philosophical crap like concussions, character, academics (meaning the previous school not the coach graduated a good %) and someone who will represent the university in a positive manner.

If a coach states his success regarding his schemes, bringing in guys who are physically and mentally tough, playing an aggressive and attacking style like Canes of old and being stronger and faster than other teams because we have all that in our backyard. Then those pacifist, poetry club, wine sipping, cheese with the nuts stuck in it tasting metro males will never have one of that sort. He lacks culture and academic pursuits.

To me it's not a question about having a "losing season" in terms of wins and losses. I don't think we'll go 6-7, 5-7, 4-8. Those are indeed losing seasons, but to me so is an 8-4 season. In year 5 we should be winning the Coastal, and pushing 10 wins. Another mediocre season is a losing season, and 8-4 is just that.
Lol, keep telling yourselves that we are going to have a losing season this year.

I think you have the number of seasons incorrect. This is really Al Golden's second season. If they pull an 8-4, win their bowl game, and finish strong with a great Swag 16 class, you can mark this down as a successful season.

What is there to troll about? I'm just dropping knowledge in this thread. But let's get ready to watch the canes in the acccg.

Malcom Lewis and Herb Waters both finished with more yards than Berrios who started out strong but did not really finish that way. I wonder why the hype is on Berrios more than it is on Lewis or Waters?

Malcom Lewis and Herb Waters both finished with more yards than Berrios who started out strong but did not really finish that way. I wonder why the hype is on Berrios more than it is on Lewis or Waters?

Berrios seems to be the more athletic player, and the 2nd year coming off an ACL injury is generally regarded as the year when a return to pre-injury form is seen. Herb has always been talented but seems to be in the doghouse alot, hopefully he can put it together this season. Malcolm as lost some explosion and lateral quicks since the injury but still great hands. He will be important in the redzone.

Advertisement
Jesus Christ the author said we were affected because of our youth. At what point under Al golden have we not been considered a young team. He has such a high attrition rate he's forced to play true freshman and even with that we were not a young team last year.

For the first time since his predecessor's last year, his team fielded a top-50 defense, and last year his team was held back by youth, awful turnovers luck (minus-3.4 points per game), close-game issues (0-2 in one-possession games, 0-4 in games decided by 11 or fewer points), and a late-season co

Did they make a season prediction anywhere in that wall of text?

Thank in advance.

Look, seriously I'm really tired of the excuses AND passes Golden continues to get. I don't care if he's well spoken and he uses fluff phrases and terms to evade questions. Let's talk facts and stop giving this guy undue credit.

Fact: He dealt with a tricky situation; he took over a team a that was in shambles and the Nevin Shapiro scandal was not a good look for the University.

Fiction: The cloud is the reason behind Golden's continued failure here.

Here's why:

In 2011, he took over a defense that, in the previous year, had allowed approx. 4.81 ypp (yards per play) and 323.3 ypg under an embattled Randy Shannon. Most of the players from that defense was still on the team and were not suspended due to the Shapiro Scandal. As soon as Golden and his staff took over the defense, the avg. increased to 5.48 ypp and 359.9 ypg. The excuse: players adjusting to a new scheme.

In 2012, Golden had his best recruiting class DESPITE the proverbial cloud. As a matter of fact, most of that class came from our own back yard. It was one of the best classes in the nation (top 10). Yet that same year, the defense gave up 6.11 ypp and 486.4 ypg (worst in program history). The excuse: team too young, not having enough depth.

In 2013, Golden pulled in another solid class, top 15 in the nation. Again, the cloud did not hinder a top flight class. The defense again gave up an abysmal 5.75 ypp and 426.4 ypg (this after starting the season 7-0 and finishing 2-4 down the stretch) The excuse: depth (although Golden said this was his deepest team thus far)

In 2014, again Golden pulled in a decent class...top 20 (as you can see, there's a trend that's now been developed regarding our class rankings. Each year, the further we get away from the cloud, the worst the classes have become...I wonder why).
The defense improved tremendously by allowing only 4.79ypp and 329.6ypg. HOWEVER, most of their numbers were based against a pedestrian schedule.
*The true numbers showed that we actually gave up 5.71 ypp and 376.6 ypg against the tougher part of our schedule while only giving up 3.81ypp and 274.8 ypg against FCS and lower tier FBS schools. Hence that is why our "total defense" looked good on paper.* The excuse: Wind, Night Games, Cliques

The fact of the matter is Golden's recruiting appears to have been better under the cloud. Maybe it's b/c kids were still hopeful and they bought into Golden's ideas...but the on-field production has been his biggest detriment. To compare us to Mizzou and USCe is laughable at best...shame on the author of that article for even mentioning them as a comparison.

You take Nick Saban, Urban Meyers, Gus Malzhan, Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles and you give them the rosters that Golden has had since 2011 w/ or w/o the cloud, and I guarantee we would see at least one title game appearance and a handful of BCS bowl game appearances.

The fact is Golden has been out coached since his days at Temple. He beat teams who were classified as FCS schools and lower tier FBS schools, but whenever he's faced teams with good records or who began and finished in the top 25, he's a sub .400 coach. That's just his moniker. So no, we may not be as talented as the 2001-2003 Canes, but we dang sure have the talent to win at least 10 games w/ our scheduling.

He's just not a good coach, no matter how he and the media try to spin his problem. We're 4 years removed from the cloud yet it's still hovering over the program. The cloud is Golden, and the moment that everyone realizes this, the better off we will be. The only progress we've made is that he's that much closer to being fired.

This time next year we will be looking back on a 9-3 season and a bowl win and a lot of us will be eating crow.

1. 9-3 season in year 5 is pathetic
2. Every year there is always a poster like you who claims "a lot of us" will be eating crow. Hasn't happened in over a decade, but yeah, all signs point to this season being the one.

Advertisement
Ah, finally a poster with a clear eye on the future. Of course, the haters and doomsday crowd will vilify our friends. But here's the deal, folks should list the projected won-loss record, put their name to it and then let's hold everyone accountable next Dec-Jan.

This time next year we will be looking back on a 9-3 season and a bowl win and a lot of us will be eating crow.

1. 9-3 season in year 5 is pathetic
2. Every year there is always a poster like you who claims "a lot of us" will be eating crow. Hasn't happened in over a decade, but yeah, all signs point to this season being the one.
This. I won't be eating crow over a 9 win season. We should win no less than 10 games with that schedule and win the ACC with that schedule. Anything less than that and Golden can GTFO. In year 5 at Miami, golden should be reeling off 10 wins.

I don't care what the last 10+ years say. We haven't had the typical 10+ years. We've had 2 NCAA messes, and a run of incompetent hires in both the AD and coaching ranks, lost our stadium, etc. Its been a tumultuous 10+ years and is not indicative of a trend as the author attempts to point out. Al golden came in on his 300 page high horse flashing his Temple credentials. He should not get the benefit of the doubt from anyone, he's been a ******* head coach for 10 years.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ the author said we were affected because of our youth. At what point under Al golden have we not been considered a young team. He has such a high attrition rate he's forced to play true freshman and even with that we were not a young team last year.

For the first time since his predecessor's last year, his team fielded a top-50 defense, and last year his team was held back by youth, awful turnovers luck (minus-3.4 points per game), close-game issues (0-2 in one-possession games, 0-4 in games decided by 11 or fewer points), and a late-season co

Sorry did not mean to neg!

Advertisement
The man said Golden was doing a decent job and he had charts and $hi+ to back it up.

I'm very pleased to be compared to Missouri and USCe. I'm fearful of being compared to UConn and Cincinnati.

What is there to troll about? I'm just dropping knowledge in this thread. But let's get ready to watch the canes in the acccg.

Please tell me how simply stating that golden is going to go 8-4 is "dropping knowledge"

If you want some knowledge then go rewatch the fsu game, and tell me that a coach who is too scared to step on another team's neck is going to win 2 more games while losing almost 3/4 of his offense and still fielding the most ***** made defensive scheme in miami history..Enjoy that fraudulent salary that the hubby is making, kelly

Advertisement
Back