Savion Riley Portal

I guess Powell takes his spot? Moving him from Nickel to Safety. Now that we landed Dyoni and potentially another CB?
I think they’ll add another safety on top of Powell.

Powell one side and then Harris vs. Portal for the other side is my best guess, with all three playing a fair amount.

Advertisement
Milan Ok GIF by ElevenSportsBE

I’ll walk you through it

1. We needed a safety in the winter
2. He took a spot
3. He didn’t even make it to the fall without hitting the portal, meaning he wasn’t going to play a ton or lost his spot.

In fact, how can you say a player that you take and then hits the portal a few months later isn’t a bad eval?
1-2 are not equal of bad eval!
3 - Unless you got someone better lining up still do not equal to bad eval. If you follow D$ and Peter they have been hyping up the kid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If this means Powell to Safety, then I'm all for it. Again, I don't personally know much more than what I've read on here about the Marshall kid, but if all of these moves mean DPJr or someone new slides inside, and Powell now can cover on that Boundary side, it makes our defense feel a lot more secure in coverages.

I'd still sign another DB. But, what the **** do I know. I don't watch practices. I just know that, post-spring, the easiest way to attack us is 4WR. If these DB moves help us keep teams under 25 points, let's make it happen. We're scoring 35.

Advertisement
The optics of the take don't look great but:

1. He committed to play for a different DB coach that made the eval

2. A transfer DE that we are in play for has a brother that was a 13 game starter at safety in the SEC, and they are apparently a package deal

Read the tea leaves.

I think they’ll add another safety on top of Powell.

Powell one side and then Harris vs. Portal for the other side is my best guess, with all three playing a fair amount.
I’m gonna offer something that will be borderline slurper territory re: evals and this kid

Something we talked about heading into spring portal

Teams have a chance to deal with the portal without dealing with recruiting at the same time, get a handle on NIL etc etc

We closed strong in recruiting and had some big flips. Stands to reason a lot of NIL was being thrown around and I think our portal suffered especially with Cam stringing it out

Probably had to take some guys like this that weren’t necessarily what we wanted but worse comes to worse not the end of the world

All this predicated on the fact that we upgrade this week of course but I expect it

Just throwing **** agains the wall though

Advertisement
If this means Powell to Safety, then I'm all for it. Again, I don't personally know much more than what I've read on here about the Marshall kid, but if all of these moves mean DPJr or someone new slides inside, and Powell now can cover on that Boundary side, it makes our defense feel a lot more secure in coverages.

I'd still sign another DB. But, what the **** do I know. I don't watch practices. I just know that, post-spring, the easiest way to attack us is 4WR. If these DB moves help us keep teams under 25 points, let's make it happen. We're scoring 35.
My thought as well. Powell and Harris should be the starting safeties with Williams and Patterson as 2nd team.

Advertisement
Back