Saturdays are suppose to be enjoyable.

It recently dawned on me that almost half my life we have been terrible. College football used to be my very favorite thing in the world.

I have this frame of reference of our glory days, when I was a kid and my grandfather made it a point for me to watch all the games with him…but at this point it has been two decades since we were at the pinnacle of the sport, and that is just reality.

But the realization that we have been bad for so long is so depressing. Definitely have a more apathetic approach to the game in general, which sucks. 2017 was fun for a while.

I just want college football to be fun again, man. Is that too much to ask?
Depends, do you like to grind brother?? :11263323124-b207743c78-o:

Advertisement
Saturday in the park
I think it was the Fourth of July
People dancing, people laughing
A man selling ice cream
Singing Italian songs

Fans are concerned with their own coaching, they're not following or care what Mario is doing. I really pity people who go.into a state of dispare everytime an 18 or 19 year old does not meet their expectations. This is a 3 to 4 year rebuild because 20 years of mediocrity gives you very little cache with recruits.
I would suggest many should spend their weekends knitting. Then again maybe not; I wouldn’t want to see anyone stabbing themselves with the needles if they made a mistake.
You can't tell me that the kneel and playing a QB who turns it over 3 or 4 times a Game is good decision making by the HC. You would never see Saban do some ish like that or any competent coach. Tom Brady Peyton Manning pat mahomes and so on and so on have been bench due to poor play tvd isnt an exception.

Advertisement
ND has been in the College Football Playoff twice.

Miami has never sniffed even an ACC Conference championship since joining the league in 2004..

ND has been in the College Football Playoff twice.

Miami has never sniffed even an ACC Conference championship since joining the league in 2004..
I get what you are saying but they haven't won a natty since like the 80s. I said we won one and USC more recently than them. I know they been in a bcs game and a couple playoff but they got their wigs pushed back in all those occasions.

We have clemsons AD and a Rose Bowl winning coach, a multiple time conference champion. Coaching is fine.

You don’t want to hear this, but here you go…

Mark Richt was a great coach at Georgia. Al Golden was a good coach at Temple, a good coach for the Lions, and a good DC at Notre Dame. Manny Diaz is in the running for a Broyles award and crushing it at Penn State.

All of those coaches were better before and after Miami. So what does that say?

It isn’t the coaching. It’s Miami. It’s the kids…these South Florida kids are athletic but they’re too stupid to even line up right and don’t understand basic *** assignment football. Since that’s been true under every coach we’ve had for 30 years, I’m gonna put that on the kids and the football culture of South Florida. What’s more is that they’re mentally weak. They commit stupid penalties and make costly boneheaded mistakes at exactly the wrong times when it hurts the team the most.
I gave 100 to multiple posts in this thread because despite the apparent incongruity they are all in line with the truth.

We should step back from these 2001 and 1991 expectations.

Miami is a middling ACC team with an average 7-5 record until proven otherwise. It doesn’t matter if Shalala is president, or Blake James is the AD or Randy Shannon is Head Coach or Nix is the OC or Baker is the DC.

The problem extends out of the locker room and out of Hecht. It’s South Florida as a whole.

We suck after bye weeks, because these players are exposed to the festering culture that is 21st century south Florida.

I gave 100 to multiple posts in this thread because despite the apparent incongruity they are all in line with the truth.

Miami is a middling ACC team with an average 7-5 record until proven otherwise. It doesn’t matter if Shalala is president, or Blake James is the AD or Randy Shannon is Head Coach or Nix is the OC or Baker is the DC.

The problem extends out of the locker room and out of Hecht. It’s South Florida as a whole.

We suck after bye weeks, because these players are exposed to the festering culture that is 21st century south Florida.
Let's agree to disagree. If we had a competent QB with everything we have one offense we would at minimum be a one lose team. The team doesn't trust the starting QB or the head coaches because of their decision making. I would burn Emory's redshirt and play jacurri in wildcat. They can't be this bad I refuse to believe it. I will have to see it to believe it.

Advertisement
Let's agree to disagree. If we had a competent QB with everything we have one offense we would at minimum be a one lose team. The team doesn't trust the starting QB or the head coaches because of their decision making. I would burn Emory's redshirt and play jacurri in wildcat. They can't be this bad I refuse to believe it. I will have to see it to believe it.
It seldom works out that the solutions to Miami woes are simple. I fully support putting Emory in ever since Clemson. But when people predict an extra 3, 4, even 5 additional wins from the previous season, I have to recall us doing this dance just about every year.

I set my expectations at 1 additional win from last year. Sometimes I am let down, but it’s always the “10 or bust” crowd that is ready to fuel the banner plane.

Right. People on this board have been blaming coaches since the board was founded. Last year it was Gattis. It’s become dogma that Gattis’ Broyles Award was a farce, and he is the reason for our bad offense. But I’m not so sure. If you take Gattis and put him as OC at Alabama or Georgia, do they go 5-7? I doubt it. More likely, they win 10+ games as they always do.

Before that, it was Manny who caught the ire of this board. Especially his defense. But he’s now in the running for the Broyles, for his defense, at a Penn State team with lower recruiting rankings than Miami.

You can go back to the Golden or Shannon days and it’s the same story. Most posters here or on Grassy/Rivals were blaming schemes and coaching. A lot of the same boilerplate complaints. But how many of those staff members under Shannon were hired later by Nick Saban, or took NFL jobs on Golden’s staff?

People blame coaches because it’s easy and comfortable. Nobody likes blaming kids and everyone likes being hopeful that one small scheme change is all it will take to turn our fortunes.

Nobody wants to hear that the house built by Schnelly, turned in to a mansion by Jimmy, has now rotted to its termite infested core after years and years of neglect. Nobody wants to face up to the fact that the problems run much deeper than X’s and O’s or what drills you run in practice. No one wants to see that IF Miami wants to fix it, it requires lots and lots of money.

I’m not talking about the millions they already invested. That’s great but too little too late. There’s a 30 year hole to dig out of, and “keeping up with the market” isn’t investing enough. There are suck taxes that need to be paid.

The administration is treating this rotted to the studs house like all they need to do is whatever work the neighbors are doing. Yes, Alabama can get away with only painting their fence this summer. We can’t. We have to fix the foundation, fix the plumbing, fix the electrical, AND paint the fence.

We have clemsons AD and a Rose Bowl winning coach, a multiple time conference champion. Coaching is fine.

You don’t want to hear this, but here you go…

Mark Richt was a great coach at Georgia. Al Golden was a good coach at Temple, a good coach for the Lions, and a good DC at Notre Dame. Manny Diaz is in the running for a Broyles award and crushing it at Penn State.

All of those coaches were better before and after Miami. So what does that say?

It isn’t the coaching. It’s Miami. It’s the kids…these South Florida kids are athletic but they’re too stupid to even line up right and don’t understand basic *** assignment football. Since that’s been true under every coach we’ve had for 30 years, I’m gonna put that on the kids and the football culture of South Florida. What’s more is that they’re mentally weak. They commit stupid penalties and make costly boneheaded mistakes at exactly the wrong times when it hurts the team the most.
We're missing a couple pieces. Experienced, talented DBs. A WR that can take any pass and turn it into a TD on any given play. But most of all, a Dual threat QB that can make something happen when the play breaks down. I really do think Mario is the guy. He's stacking talent and learning how to deal with these SoFl prima donnas

It recently dawned on me that almost half my life we have been terrible. College football used to be my very favorite thing in the world.

I have this frame of reference of our glory days, when I was a kid and my grandfather made it a point for me to watch all the games with him…but at this point it has been two decades since we were at the pinnacle of the sport, and that is just reality.

But the realization that we have been bad for so long is so depressing. Definitely have a more apathetic approach to the game in general, which sucks. 2017 was fun for a while.

I just want college football to be fun again, man. Is that too much to ask?
I'm right there with you age wise then... grew up in the glory days... got spoiled in late college with the GOAT's, and now been 20+ of pain..... to add on that, I've brought my son's in on this pain with me... promising them that we'll get this turned around.. luckily they shake off the loses easier than I do..

It's part of being a fan of any sport/team.. I got a die hard Met's fan friend.. look how miserable his fan ship has been....

At least we have EACH OTHER, right?!?! lol.... cue the "Glad I don't know any of you in real life meme"!!!

Advertisement
I hate saying this but since 1979 or so when Howard saved the program the majority of time since then Miami ha sbene what they are now, which is mediocre but still a brand name for what was accomplished in the 80s, early 90s, and 00'-02'

Since then the program is mired in mediocrity looking for the return of the glory years

Miami has really only been a dominant force for what, 17, 18 of 43 years or so of football.

There are alot of factors that gave Miami the success but also alot that has taken that advantage

Right. People on this board have been blaming coaches since the board was founded. Last year it was Gattis. It’s become dogma that Gattis’ Broyles Award was a farce, and he is the reason for our bad offense. But I’m not so sure. If you take Gattis and put him as OC at Alabama or Georgia, do they go 5-7? I doubt it. More likely, they win 10+ games as they always do.

Before that, it was Manny who caught the ire of this board. Especially his defense. But he’s now in the running for the Broyles, for his defense, at a Penn State team with lower recruiting rankings than Miami.

You can go back to the Golden or Shannon days and it’s the same story. Most posters here or on Grassy/Rivals were blaming schemes and coaching. A lot of the same boilerplate complaints. But how many of those staff members under Shannon were hired later by Nick Saban, or took NFL jobs on Golden’s staff?

People blame coaches because it’s easy and comfortable. Nobody likes blaming kids and everyone likes being hopeful that one small scheme change is all it will take to turn our fortunes.

Nobody wants to hear that the house built by Schnelly, turned in to a mansion by Jimmy, has now rotted to its termite infested core after years and years of neglect. Nobody wants to face up to the fact that the problems run much deeper than X’s and O’s or what drills you run in practice. No one wants to see that IF Miami wants to fix it, it requires lots and lots of money.

I’m not talking about the millions they already invested. That’s great but too little too late. There’s a 30 year hole to dig out of, and “keeping up with the market” isn’t investing enough. There are suck taxes that need to be paid.

The administration is treating this rotted to the studs house like all they need to do is whatever work the neighbors are doing. Yes, Alabama can get away with only painting their fence this summer. We can’t. We have to fix the foundation, fix the plumbing, fix the electrical, AND paint the fence.
Correct. We see our DC that allowed plenty of points against us last year do just fine at Alabama right now.

So now we have fans that fail to acknowledge any of the precedent set by the last two decades and assume “it’s not that hard! Just recruit S. Fl, win a bunch of games and then go undefeated in a couple years!”

Few of our “fire coach” crew ever made more than a few thousand a year coaching anything.

Now we have the meat grinder tax. We are paying Mario through the nose with a huge buyout because the man knows he will be attacked early on and he is.

The banner plane gang needs to just stop watching and start up after our next 10 win plus bowl win season.

BE A FAN LATER!!!

Advertisement
Correct. We see our DC that allowed plenty of points against us last year do just fine at Alabama right now.

So now we have fans that fail to acknowledge any of the precedent set by the last two decades and assume “it’s not that hard! Just recruit S. Fl, win a bunch of games and then go undefeated in a couple years!”

Few of our “fire coach” crew ever made more than a few thousand a year coaching anything.

Now we have the meat grinder tax. We are paying Mario through the nose with a huge buyout because the man knows he will be attacked early on and he is.

The banner plane gang needs to just stop watching and start up after our next 10 win plus bowl win season.

BE A FAN LATER!!!

Returning to the point about South Florida football culture that we were discussing earlier, I think another thing to consider is how the changing NCAA rules over time have harmed Miami.

In the past, football-only dorms were permitted. Coaches could contact players (and recruits) year round. Practices could be any length.

I think limiting player contact and doing away with football dorms harms Miami more than probably any other school. This is due to the distractions available in the city and the undisciplined way in which South Florida football players approach the game.

Schnelly and Jimmy could instill football IQ in the players and hammer home discipline by just implementing sheer volume of practice time. They could keep drilling something until the players get it. It provided structure that these players need.

It also helped us recruit, especially locally. Howard would go to a recruit’s house every day. Out of state coaches couldn’t do that because of logistics. When the NCAA put rules in limiting the number of visits a coach could make and implementing dead periods, it evened the playing field for out of state coaches with South Florida recruits.

BE A FAN LATER!!!
believe-please-believe-me.gif

Advertisement
Back