Rumor San Mario Turned Down Bama

In all seriousness, how big was that no-kneel for the perception of our season and Mario as a co(r)ch overall? Not to oversimply or play what if, but we bend the knee there (or the refs get it right) - even if the entire rest of the season played out the same - that's 8 wins. 3 more than the year prior instead of just 2. And probably a lot less vitriol and negativity around the program than we have now. CFB is not for the faint-hearted.
Lets not forget our all American safety going for an int when the ONLY rule in that situation is, don’t let anyone get behind you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who did they go after? I assume Lanning who also would be a great hire. Not sure on Norvell but he just got $10 M per year where he’s at. Anyone else?

Obviously I don't know for sure who Bama talked to- but I checked out some SEC fan boards and if they are to believed- Lanning, Sark, and Norvell.

Couldn’t agree more. Completely changed the vibe of the whole season. Everything was negative after that debacle.
I’m still baffled UM didn’t go full on nuclear with a media campaign. The end of that game should have been replayed.

It’s one of the worst calls ever. And not only did we not even get an apology from the ACC they straight up said F you, we got the call right.

It completely changed the trajectory of the season. It was utterly deflating.

I KNOW… I KNOW Mario should have kneeled but the darn call was incorrect and there was indisputable evidence. The GaTech player doesn’t make the rip action until Chaney’s elbow was down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m still baffled UM didn’t go full on nuclear with a media campaign. The end of that game should have been replayed.

It’s one of the worst calls ever. And not only did we not even get an apology from the ACC they straight up said F you, we got the call right.

It completely changed the trajectory of the season. It was utterly deflating.

I KNOW… I KNOW Mario should have kneeled but the darn call was incorrect and there was indisputable evidence. The GaTech player doesn’t make the rip action until Chaney’s elbow was down.
Even better would have been if the refs made the correct call that the GT player was sliding before the endzone. It would have been one of the most incompetent endings to any game I've ever seen all the way around.

Risky hire for Bama. One mediocre season and the wheels could come off. Stoops would have been a safer bet, but not as splashy headline.

Advertisement
He Corched it up in the Playoffs. Let's see if he can recruit.

Here’s a news flash old chum; there’s only one winner in a CFP Championship Game.

Here’s also breaking news; since the inception of CFP there’s only the following active coaches who have been participants:

1. Smart (94-16 or .855 winning%)
2. Dabo (170-43 or .798 winning%)
3. Day (56-8 or .875 winning%)
4. Harbaugh (115-46 or .714 winning%)
5. Dykes (89-72 or .553 winning%)
6. DeBoer (37-9 or .804 winning%)
7. Riley (74-18 or .804 winning%)
8. Kelly (186-69 or .729 winning%)
9. Fickle (71-31 or .696 winning%)
10. Sarkisian (71-49 or .591 winning%)

Only 3 guys from this list actually won the Nat’l Title. Ya’ll keep saying “but can he recruit.” He’s an X’s & O’s guru where his guys beat Oregon (“better players”), USC (“better players”), & Texas (“better players”). Stop regurgitating the same chit & be more creative.

There’s been a lot of good recruiters like Zook, Muschamp, Strong, Willingham to name a few, and did chit b/c they couldn’t coach and eventually recruiting suffered b/c their coaching was deplorable. DeBoer can coach, period. He won’t be at Saban’s level, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bama is consistently contending and pushing for Nat’l Titles w/ new resources behind him.

Deboer's will have more fans at his plane landing at the airport tham we have at all home games combined...just sayin.
true the muses GIF

Advertisement
I think he’s a top notch hire. I do also think it’s premature to crown him immediately. He’s done good things everywhere but he’s coached three years of P5 football ever. All of his success at the P5 level came with Penix as his QB.

Can he manage the unreal expectations that fanbase has? Can he do enough to beat UGA? Say he goes 20-6 the next two seasons. That’s respectable anywhere but Bama. I’d bet he ends up working out. Just a far different situation than he’s ever been in before.

Here’s a news flash old chum; there’s only one winner in a CFP Championship Game.

Here’s also breaking news; since the inception of CFP there’s only the following active coaches who have been participants:

1. Smart (94-16 or .855 winning%)
2. Dabo (170-43 or .798 winning%)
3. Day (56-8 or .875 winning%)
4. Harbaugh (115-46 or .714 winning%)
5. Dykes (89-72 or .553 winning%)
6. DeBoer (37-9 or .804 winning%)
7. Riley (74-18 or .804 winning%)
8. Kelly (186-69 or .729 winning%)
9. Fickle (71-31 or .696 winning%)
10. Sarkisian (71-49 or .591 winning%)

Only 3 guys from this list actually won the Nat’l Title. Ya’ll keep saying “but can he recruit.” He’s an X’s & O’s guru where his guys beat Oregon (“better players”), USC (“better players”), & Texas (“better players”). Stop regurgitating the same chit & be more creative.

There’s been a lot of good recruiters like Zook, Muschamp, Strong, Willingham to name a few, and did chit b/c they couldn’t coach and eventually recruiting suffered b/c their coaching was deplorable. DeBoer can coach, period. He won’t be at Saban’s level, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bama is consistently contending and pushing for Nat’l Titles w/ new resources behind him.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

Advertisement
Back