Samuel Brooks: This years DJ Ivey?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
Question for those in the know, I know Brooks suffered a major knee injury but beforehand was being touted as an elite prospect. Is this going to be like Ivey from a year ago where the kid was banged up and slept on through the process only to show up to campus and impress?

I'm not sure anyone would call this kid a sleeper prospect before the knee injury, the kid put up sacks in bunches and seemed like a big-time athlete. Does anyone know if he has been able to camp at all this summer or how his rehab has been going?

Advertisement
K
Question for those in the know, I know Brooks suffered a major knee injury but beforehand was being touted as an elite prospect. Is this going to be like Ivey from a year ago where the kid was banged up and slept on through the process only to show up to campus and impress?

I'm not sure anyone would call this kid a sleeper prospect before the knee injury, the kid put up sacks in bunches and seemed like a big-time athlete. Does anyone know if he has been able to camp at all this summer or how his rehab has been going?
Ids gonna be a stud. I just dont know how far along he is on his rehab. If he plays this season at optimal level hes not gonna be slept on. Kids a beast.

Possibly
Many are skeptical and I understand why. We haven’t had the best history with the HS rusher types that translate to LB but none of them had the physical ability of the kid. Marcus Robinson was similar attribute wise but he was a bit bigger and actually ended up playing DE after some thought he would originally be an OLB. I like him more than most. I think he should shirt and pack on weight and learn the position first and then be unleashed in 2020.

This kid before his major knee injury, was being considered one of the top player's in his class!! BUT the injury definitely hurt his recruitment, I definitely see him as a underrated overlooked stud.. All depending on his rehab, this kid could easily move up and get his status back as a elite recruit after one season!! He's that good and MIAMI will get him where he needs to be..

Advertisement
I think it is a very fair comparison. And with senior film holding less weight than junior sometimes, (Ivey DESTROYED comp last year to the point no one threw in his direction for long stretches, but still didn't get his deserved jump), he very well may stay somewhat dormant nationally.He could be an ambassador type IMO as well. Very well liked from what I have read.

When I watch Brooks' tape, I don't at all see a prospect that is limited in his ability to being an edge rusher. I just see a guy who is elite at getting to the ball. So, putting him on the edge at the HS level is the way to maximize his disruptiveness.

I see him being able to play great in space at the LB position at the next level.

This guy is a monster. I just hope he doesn't rush back from his injury to play his senior year. If he's ready week 1, great. If it's week 4, great. If he sits out all year, great. Just want him fully healthy and not have any nagging issues when he gets to UM.

People all over know who Brooks is, he aint no IVey IMO. DJ is good but Brooks has a chance to be real special and all the schools know this and will when hes healthy.

Advertisement
It’s all about the injury. If he didn’t get hurt, he would’ve been a five-star.

Elite production on a state championship defense and elite testing numbers as a HS sophomore (6’2, 194, 4.62, 4.20 shuttle, 36 VJ). He was dominating Carol City before blowing out his knee.

The bad news is that it was an ugly injury. The good news is that young players heal faster. Hopefully, Northwestern plays it conservatively and Brooks comes into college at full speed.

If he does, you are talking about a future 6’2, 235, 4.5 linebacker with quickness and instincts.

Brooks is gonna be a monster if heals %100 kid has elite speed for a linebacker or de and really quick short area speed. He has little mean streak too. He could make a big impact if healthy first year at UM

It’s all about the injury. If he didn’t get hurt, he would’ve been a five-star.

Elite production on a state championship defense and elite testing numbers as a HS sophomore (6’2, 194, 4.62, 4.20 shuttle, 36 VJ). He was dominating Carol City before blowing out his knee.

The bad news is that it was an ugly injury. The good news is that young players heal faster. Hopefully, Northwestern plays it conservatively and Brooks comes into college at full speed.

If he does, you are talking about a future 6’2, 235, 4.5 linebacker with quickness and instincts.
Have you heard anything regarding his rehab?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nothing specific. He said he will be ready for his senior season but I hope he doesn't push it. It took Mike Smith a long time to get back.

I agree with you but I could see why/how the kid would want to puh to play his senior season.

I watched Brooks film the the first time other day and I don't understand how he isn't a 4 star TBH. Speed, Size, closing speed, long arms, and good instincts to play LB IMO.

This guy gave me the same gut feeling I had when I first watched Garvin for the first time. His talent just jumped off the film for a 3 star player.

I think it is a very fair comparison. And with senior film holding less weight than junior sometimes, (Ivey DESTROYED comp last year to the point no one threw in his direction for long stretches, but still didn't get his deserved jump), he very well may stay somewhat dormant nationally.He could be an ambassador type IMO as well. Very well liked from what I have read.

Ivey got a bump

Advertisement
Back