2023 Samson Okunlola, 2023 OT, MA - ANNOUNCEMENT TBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I’m going to say, is how many high school kids from New England have committed to a Miami, Florida, FSU to play a collegiate sport in the past 20 years. I can think of 1 and he ended up decommitting to play football at Boston college. There might be a basketball player right now who is committed to Miami. You can say the talent isn’t there and that may have been true 10-15 years ago, but the D1 ranks for football, basketball, and even baseball now are flooded with kids from New England so is the NFL.

Every single high school coach I’ve worked with or have met would laugh at the idea of sending a kid to Miami to play college ball when they could easily send them to Michigan, Ohio state, Notre dame, Penn state, or Boston college.

People from New England don’t retire to Miami, they retire to boca, Marco island, west palm beach, Naples. It’s south Florida, but it’s not Miami…big difference.
You asked how many commit to schools down here, but failed to ask how many were recruited. If more are pursued, more will commit and that is a fact.

And bruh how can you say Miami is different from west palm and then in your first paragraph compare UM to UF/FSU 😂.

There are SO many New England people in SOUTH Florida, and I knew dozens of people at UM from New England.

Advertisement
You asked how many commit to schools down here, but failed to ask how many were recruited. If more are pursued, more will commit and that is a fact.

And bruh how can you say Miami is different from west palm and then in your first paragraph compare UM to UF/FSU 😂.

There are SO many New England people in SOUTH Florida, and I knew dozens of people at UM from New England.
Ban bet that this kid who Miami is pursing doesn’t commit here.

And hey maybe if Miami did pursue some guys from Massachusetts the o line wouldn’t be in the shape it has been in.

All I’m going to say, is how many high school kids from New England have committed to a Miami, Florida, FSU to play a collegiate sport in the past 20 years. I can think of 1 and he ended up decommitting to play football at Boston college.
1654539782816.png

Ban bet that this kid who Miami is pursing doesn’t commit here.

And hey maybe if Miami did pursue some guys from Massachusetts the o line wouldn’t be in the shape it has been in.
How bold of you to do a ban bet that a 5 star OT won’t come here 😂

You’re oddly defensive about New England kids not coming to UM, you sure you’re a Canes fan?

Last edited:
Advertisement
How bold of you to do a ban bet that a 5 star OT won’t come here 😂

You’re oddly defensive about New England kids not coming to UM, you sure you’re a Canes fan?
I am defensive because New England constantly gets disrespected and we have some seriously talented kids that are constantly fed to the Midwest/big 10.

I would love for Miami to get boots on the ground up here and build a presence, but what I’m trying to explain is that it wouldn’t be easy and wouldn’t happen overnight. I tried explaining the culture I see as a high school coach up here in Boston, just like others post about south Florida and we have some people on this board who think just because you have the U brand on your jacket when you walk into a school that a kid would sign with you which isn’t the case. I tried explaining the challenges Miami would have and people get all up in their feels about it.

I am defensive because New England constantly gets disrespected and we have some seriously talented kids that are constantly fed to the Midwest/big 10.

I would love for Miami to get boots on the ground up here and build a presence, but what I’m trying to explain is that it wouldn’t be easy and wouldn’t happen overnight. I tried explaining the culture I see as a high school coach up here in Boston, just like others post about south Florida and we have some people on this board who think just because you have the U brand on your jacket when you walk into a school that a kid would sign with you which isn’t the case. I tried explaining the challenges Miami would have and people get all up in their feels about it.
No logical person on this board is thinking we walk into a kids class and he falls to his knees begging for an offer. I also don’t see anyone saying we will bat 1.000%.

Most people in this conversation are acknowledging the growth of football in that area, especially knowing this kid and Aguero are from New England.

It’s entirely possible that kids from Boston, and the northeast in general, thought UM was cool but also thought the northeast was better for them.

As it relates to recruits and OL recruits in particular, I’d imagine Cristobal and Mirabal looking at you gives more reason to consider than we’d given in the past. Combine that with knowing how many people from that area come down here in general, that’s where that confidence comes from.

Advertisement
I think @BostonCanes47 has a good point we haven't recruited Massachusetts or New England in general. Our past staphs were lazy recruiters, and really didn't target the northeast with the exception of Golden who did put some effort in NJ and great Philly. And there isn't a lot of nationally recognized talent up in New England so you need to work it harder than other recruiting sources.

Having my own experience with both So FL and New Englanders, I think a sizeable group of kids would jump at the chance to go to Miami if shown the attention they deserve. But finding talent requires a deep network, and we never built one up.

I personally think the untapped gold mine is in NJ and to a lesser degree NY, not New England. But for a kid like Samson, we need to go all in. Love that Mario won't concede this recruitment.

All I’m going to say, is how many high school kids from New England have committed to a Miami, Florida, FSU to play a collegiate sport in the past 20 years.

Off the top of my head... Van Dyke, Aaron Hernandez are the big names. UF had a DT that signed the sign same year as TVD.

Costal Carolina has a decent amount of guys from that area as well for schools in the south.

Miami just made the top 4 for Joenel Aguere, the #20 overall player by 247 From Lynn. Is Mario about to feed me so delicious crow? I’m shocked

However, he is considered a Georgia lock, but still St. John’s prep is a great great school to build a relationship with.
Yea, we’ve known for weeks. It’s not the first time he announced it.

Advertisement
Off the top of my head... Van Dyke, Aaron Hernandez are the big names. UF had a DT that signed the sign same year as TVD.

Costal Carolina has a decent amount of guys from that area as well for schools in the south.
Lamar Goods from Oakdale, he hit the Portal back in January

A Georgia lock, says who exactly ?

Right
The consensus feel amongst everyone else is UGA because that sounds like the easy pick and they have recruited him heavily. OSU fans saying UGA/OSU battle. UF fans saying UGA/UF battle because he wants to stay in the SEC. UGA fans saying they know they aren’t getting Downs so they gave him green light and told him to push his commitment date up, lol. Absolutely no one outside of this board expects us to be more than a hat on the table. This will be good, and he is coming on a great weekend. Looks like UF may get an OV after us though IF he decides to visit them and that would be his last one before his decision date. With them being in his final 4, I’d be surprised if he didn’t.

Advertisement
Right
The consensus feel amongst everyone else is UGA because that sounds like the easy pick and they have recruited him heavily. OSU fans saying UGA/OSU battle. UF fans saying UGA/UF battle because he wants to stay in the SEC. UGA fans saying they know they aren’t getting Downs so they gave him green light and told him to push his commitment date up, lol. Absolutely no one outside of this board expects us to be more than a hat on the table. This will be good, and he is coming on a great weekend. Looks like UF may get an OV after us though IF he decides to visit them and that would be his last one before his decision date. With them being in his final 4, I’d be surprised if he didn’t.

He’s a “UGA lock” because he was crystal balled there last year. When he was being recruited by our DB coach.

Miami should set up shop at CM. They are bringing in kids every year that are power 5 kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back