Same sht, different year

AntwanJ306

Thunderdome
The Maine starting pitcher walked in four runs in the first inning. You read that correctly. He walked in four runs. A good team would put 15 on a guy like that. Your 2014 Miami Hurricanes? Five total runs through seven innings.

Advertisement
Can't judge jack **** in baseball off one game.

Just always glad to get the W. If we don't go .500 against Florida and FSU and are plagued by errors and a lack of clutch hitting, then we can get a group ***** thread going.

Advertisement
relax - its going to take the highly rated freshman a few weeks to acclimate to the college game. They are who we will rely on with Thompson to be our run producers.

Will judge in two weeks after series with FSU and UF.

Palmer and Dale looked good which is gonna be key, the freshman played like freshman.

Diaz wasn't sharp but still had a good outing.

Their pitcher isn't a joke. America East pitcher of the year. Sat 90-94 the whole game with a good curveball he found in the 2nd. Maine or not, that's a good pitcher and pitching is always ahead of the offense at this time of the year.

Advertisement
Thought I'd give it another try, nope same board different season, good luck...

So we essentially scored two runs on our own. If we're going to brush this off just because the guy has some nice pre-season accolades, then what do we expect when we see one or two of these guys every weekend in the ACC?

Advertisement
I'm disappointed with our game 1 performance just like you are, but also realize the nature of the sport and am not going to fold the season after one game.

UCLA, Miss. St and UNC are all 0-1 and they finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd last year.

They scored 6 runs total off The College of Charleston, Portland and Western Carolina collectively.

I'm disappointed with our game 1 performance just like you are, but also realize the nature of the sport and am not going to fold the season after one game.

UCLA, Miss. St and UNC are all 0-1 and they finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd last year.

They scored 6 runs total off The College of Charleston, Portland and Western Carolina collectively.

Except that it's not one game. After driving the program down to being a perennial #2 seed, there is some urgency to turn things around. And we respond with exactly the same thing we have seen for the last five years.

Tack this to the top: We will finish somewhere around 33-22, 6th in the ACC, and be sent on the road as a #2 seed, where the #1's ace will get to sit out the #4 game and then throw a three-hitter against us.

Look, I get the excitement that comes with a new season, but this is already the exact same thing we have been watching since 2009.

Advertisement
The Maine starting pitcher walked in four runs in the first inning. You read that correctly. He walked in four runs. A good team would put 15 on a guy like that. Your 2014 Miami Hurricanes? Five total runs through seven innings.

Believe it or not, Maine's starter was a stud in game one. He was pitcher of league in the Cape Cod, which is the best of the best in summer leagues.

After today though, I have to believe it's simply we can't hit again.

Except that it's not one game. After driving the program down to being a perennial #2 seed, there is some urgency to turn things around. And we respond with exactly the same thing we have seen for the last five years.

Tack this to the top: We will finish somewhere around 33-22, 6th in the ACC, and be sent on the road as a #2 seed, where the #1's ace will get to sit out the #4 game and then throw a three-hitter against us.

Look, I get the excitement that comes with a new season, but this is already the exact same thing we have been watching since 2009.

This. I could believe early season jitters if it wasn't the same exact **** as usual. ****** hitting, ****** fielding.

I am curious what do you think the coach failed at with this game?

Did he have the wrong players in? Did he recruit the wrong players?

Because you obviously have no idea what it takes to actually hit a baseball. Its not something a head coach can teach a kid to do consistently. It doesn't matter how much film analysis you do or how many reps you take in the cage and it rarely is even impacted by hitting coaches. The coaches can teach them the correct way to swing but that doesn't result in hits, our guys have sound swings so its not like they are lacking the fundamentals of hitting.

If you say he didn't recruit the best players then I would argue that we lost many of good players to the draft of the last few years and this years team was a top 5 recruiting class. If you said that we don't have enough JUCOs on the team I may listen because that would be a sound argument. I personally feel like we are balking at the trend of using scholarships on proven mature players and are still investing way to much into Freshman who need time to prove, adjust and produce.

But baseball is extremely streaky. And that goes for each hitter as well. You have to get in a groove before you can get going. The head coach can impact you as the season goes on by benching, bunting, and setting match ups but as of right now its 100% on the kids at the plate. That's 99% of what determines how successful your offense is.

I am as big as a Morris non-believer as there is but its 1 game. And its a win

Advertisement
Back