Same game

Why the **** is everyone giving Stevenson so much love? He was targeted multiple times and have up multiple completions and first downs. I guess cuz he wasnt beaten as bad as Ivey
He wasn’t perfect but man he was going all out and don’t think he missed a tackle. Our rush couldn’t get home and I think Rique had a few completed on him because of the time Young had. Rique played pretty well given the circumstances.

Advertisement
We knew that we were going to be overmatched physically. But the most disappointing thing for me was the O play calling - especially in the first half. I was hopeful Lashlee would open it up and be more creative. First play of the game I wanted to see the fake QB draw and then King hit the post from the slot to either Mallory or Harley.

With the experience of this team, there is no excuse for a let down from here on out.

Said it before....this IS the exposure year....can't hide anymore behind the same excuses. Bama was always going to be Bama. Fine.
The rest of our schedule is there for the taking....we have enough talent on the roster.
Run the rest of the table this year and we'll talk...anything less is 100% a failure on the coaching side.

Advertisement
Manny can’t compete in these games. There is no evidence otherwise.

Frankly this was my single biggest concern going into the game. It has been apparant not only in big games but also after every bye week he has coached.

At this point we have enough evidence he is simply not the man to lead this program back.
He has trouble enough competing in average games

No doubt, Bama had more talent, but sheesh we were outcoached on both sides of the ball. Manny must win the next 4. And we can, because even with our subpar coaching, we have much more talent than the next 4 teams.

I knew it was over when Lashlee came out all conservative and sought to establish the run. I mean has he watched CFB for the last 10+ years? Saban's teams usually shut down the run completely unless you make them first respect the pass. 5 years ago a dual threat QB was the biggest threat to Saban's defense, but the last 5 years have shown that the most successful teams against Bama have NFL-caliber passes. King isn't an NFL caliber passer, so maybe that factored into our complete ****show approach. But I still think Miami would have been much better off throwing the ball to set up the run rather than running the ball to set up the pass.

Last edited:
This was the same game as Clemson and UNC last year. Or LSU in 2018. Nothing felt different. Forget the opponent for a second. We didn't play well. The takeaway for the rest of the country is that Manny can’t compete in these games. There is no evidence otherwise.

On to specifics:

- The physicality gap was expected, but still deflating. The two plays that stick out to me are Navaughn Donaldson getting spun into Cam Harris and Will Mallory getting bullied into Rambo on a bubble screen. Men against boys.

- The area that scares me the most going forward is our pass rush. No length or explosiveness. We relied heavily on blitzing Amari Carter and he was handled by their RBs. Overall, Bama toyed with our blitzes. It’s a cruel joke that the one position where we were top-level (DE) goes barren right before we play Bama.

- Giving back the Turnover Chain down a million was a low point in the history of the program. Either shelve the chain or put on a point limit where we can’t give it away.

- This loss cannot beat us twice. App State and Michigan State are coming down with confidence and momentum. They expect to win and they can. Bama openers can ruin seasons. Ask FSU and Louisville. We need to respond like we did last year after Clemson, or this season can become a nightmare real fast.

- I saw a national 247 guy say this on Twitter and it’s true—the simplicity of Lashlee’s offense is great when Miami has a talent advantage, but gets exposed against equal or superior talent.

- Bama will blow out almost everyone this year. The front seven is NFL, Young can run their offense and their two transfers (Williams and Too’Too) are difference makers. The rest of our schedule is playing a different sport.

- Stevenson and Couch are the two starting corners going forward. They were two of the only guys who competed physically.

- Given the enormous talent disadvantage, the OL competed better than I thought upon rewatch. The major exception is Navaughn Donaldson. He had no balance or bend and was the cause of the majority of our negative plays. He has no chance of going pro this year so he may as well do some Yoga and come back.

- Don Chaney needs to be the starter going forward. He’s gotten even bigger. If he doesn’t get hurt during his dominant spring, he would have been the bellcow already. He’s healthy now.

- Justice Oluwaseun looks like a good pickup. He moved very well in space and he has some pop. He knocked a moving target on a Cam screen and knocked over Will Anderson while looking for work. He needs to start somewhere.

- The talent gap was most profound at LB. Miami can’t be Miami without Miami LBs. Even a guy like Shaq would’ve made a huge difference—when he tackled guys, they stayed tackled. The one guy who did flash true talent was Keontra Smith. He will be even better against smaller teams.

- Jalen Rivers, Xavier Restrepo, James Williams , Andres Borregales and Kam Kinchens all flashed. Kinchens was very physical and actually knocked back #4 on a blitz to force an incompletion. I want to see Leonard Taylor going forward. I get playing older, bigger DL against Bama, but don’t keep a 5* talent sulking on the bench against the rest of the schedule.

- King looked about 90%. The opponent had something to do with it. Interested to see how he looks next week. TVD has had very limited opportunities but has yet to flash. I would love to see some Garcia during this homestand. Obviously, too early to judge either guy.

- The tackling has dropped off considerably since 16-19. I don’t know why. Losing elite tacklers like Shaq and Jaquan Johnson hurt, but it shouldn’t be this drastic.

- Zion Nelson played a good, clean game but I still think he should come back. His strength isn’t all the way there yet if he’s going to be a first round, instant NFL starter. In fact, everyone on our line should come back except Jarrid Williams.

Overall, it sucked. Nothing to get excited about. Best case, this is an exhibition game which showed us the level we need to reach. Worst case, it ruins our season and we kill our home crowd the next two weeks. See you at the Rock on Saturday.
One observation I saw, and please refute me if I'm wrong, is that Alabama players will lay it all on the line to make a play. Ours don't. Not talking about the diving missed tackles or the stupid targeting by Bolden. It's like they play scared.

It seemed like Too’Too was willing to literally separate his shoulder to make a tackle on Don Chaney as he was heading out of bounds in the midst of a blowout. Whereas Don Chaney turtles and tries to shoulder block into a blitzing linebacker instead of squaring him up and using his hands. And it's not like Chaney is small dude either. Is he worried about getting hurt or something?

Even on Xavier's TD it was impressive to see how the Alabama DB laid his entire body out to where he was parallel to the ground to try and make that play. I think that DB got hurt on that play too.

They do that because they know that behind them another 5* is going to replace them if they don't give the effort.

Seeing Scaife's hands get slapped away so easily on the sack he allowed was just a horrible effort.

Seeing Mallory get blown up on that bubble screen was disgusting... especially when their TE catches a ball over the middle breaks a tackle and trotzes into the endzone.

Obviously there are exceptions on our team ie: Couch is a smaller DB but plays bigger. Kinchens and J Williams too. But I saw too many Tarzans that played like Jane.

Advertisement
Ivey still can’t cover, worse feet I’ve ever seen...

CB play still unsatisfactory at Miami because you’re only as strong as your weakest link.
1630861453933.gif

when the canes got rag dolled by Bama but @Liberty City El is back on the board

Advertisement
this is where UM really felt the loss of Rosseau and Phillips, on those 3rd downs. When you need someone who by their own presence could disrupt things for the offense. That was sorely lacking yesterday and I suspect against any competent passing team this season this problem will crop up again

In 2019, CIS claimed we were going to run the table after the gaytor opener. Those who think that again now is in for a rude awakening.

19/22 returning starters and their so called “experience” is all BS. Experienced in being a JAG gets you nowhere besides getting bullied by real talent.

Lashlee is who we think he is. He’s never put up numbers against real competition. Some of the dumbest playcalling were on full display yesterday.

Everything goes back to the head corch and this current failure has been given more chances than his predecessors.

Maybe Mandy can spend more time gameplanning instead of designing new chains. BTW - let’s not forget the TD rings being brought out down 32. We were a laughing stock.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Said it before....this IS the exposure year....can't hide anymore behind the same excuses. Bama was always going to be Bama. Fine.
The rest of our schedule is there for the taking....we have enough talent on the roster.
Run the rest of the table this year and we'll talk...anything less is 100% a failure on the coaching side.
Watch Manny do Manny the rest of the year. You’ve heard the story about the the frog and the scorpion.

Advertisement
Back