Same game

"This was the same game as Clemson and UNC last year. Or LSU in 2018. Nothing felt different. Forget the opponent for a second. We didn't play well. The takeaway for the rest of the country is that Manny can’t compete in these games. There is no evidence otherwise."

Correct D-Money..... This is what I've been saying to anyone that tells me " Everyone gets beat by Bama like this"...... People need to understand this isn't just about the Bama game....

Advertisement
Wonder why they continue to play Ivey?
On that because Trob i don't think cared about the past and saw what he could be but i think that hopefully opened his eyes to its just who he is. we did see a lot of blades and couch at the end from what i remember. Couch should start other side till blades is ready. hopefully blades will get there quickly we need him.

Agreed on the front seven. They were able to at least get pressure on pass plays and had numerous chances to stuff runs for negative yards but the garbage tackling hurt them too much. When the whole defensive game plan is predicated on getting the opponent behind the sticks on early downs, you can’t just allow them to break tackles and turn negative plays into a and 5 yard gains. A lot of people mentioned “finishing plays” as a key for the defense and they failed in that aspect.
a few times open holes with the RB and Jennings looking at each other in the hole. don't have to tell you who won those.

1. Hire Dan Enos away from Bama
2. Land Phillips, Bolden et al from the portal
3. Fire Dan Enos after a poor performance
3. Hire Lashlee
4. Demote Baker (who leaves to be LB coach at LSU) and Rumph for poor performance
5 Hire Travis Williams, Ish and TRob and Shoop.
6. Land a **** good 2021 class and another batch of portal kids

I’d say there are lots of signs he can be a decent HC. And I was in the camp of wanting to fire Blake James for not doing a proper search so I’m no Manny apologist. And if he doesn’t find a Top 5 DC this off-season then I will agree he’s not the right guy.
Stop wasting your time with these people. If your argument doesn't fit their narrative that Manny is terrible, doesn't fix anything, and is a corch they don't want to hear it bro. We'll just continue to cheer our team on Saturdays. This can, and should, be a good season. Enjoy it bro, don't waste your energy on these people anymore.

Advertisement
When Ivey pushed Metchie into the end zone on that first TD, he would have never saw the field again. TS and Couch all the way. Least they hit.
TS & Couch were physical as ****, like you said. Ivey was an embarrassment physically and in coverage. It’s become a joke. The play you mentioned was probably his 5th worst of the day. #1 & #2 being the long TD and the missed tackle vs the tight end on his first TD.

This was the same game as Clemson and UNC last year. Or LSU in 2018. Nothing felt different. Forget the opponent for a second. We didn't play well. The takeaway for the rest of the country is that Manny can’t compete in these games. There is no evidence otherwise.

On to specifics:

- The physicality gap was expected, but still deflating. The two plays that stick out to me are Navaughn Donaldson getting spun into Cam Harris and Will Mallory getting bullied into Rambo on a bubble screen. Men against boys.

- The area that scares me the most going forward is our pass rush. No length or explosiveness. We relied heavily on blitzing Amari Carter and he was handled by their RBs. Overall, Bama toyed with our blitzes. It’s a cruel joke that the one position where we were top-level (DE) goes barren right before we play Bama.

- Giving back the Turnover Chain down a million was a low point in the history of the program. Either shelve the chain or put on a point limit where we can’t give it away.

- This loss cannot beat us twice. App State and Michigan State are coming down with confidence and momentum. They expect to win and they can. Bama openers can ruin seasons. Ask FSU and Louisville. We need to respond like we did last year after Clemson, or this season can become a nightmare real fast.

- I saw a national 247 guy say this on Twitter and it’s true—the simplicity of Lashlee’s offense is great when Miami has a talent advantage, but gets exposed against equal or superior talent.

- Bama will blow out almost everyone this year. The front seven is NFL, Young can run their offense and their two transfers (Williams and Too’Too) are difference makers. The rest of our schedule is playing a different sport.

- Stevenson and Couch are the two starting corners going forward. They were two of the only guys who competed physically.

- Given the enormous talent disadvantage, the OL competed better than I thought upon rewatch. The major exception is Navaughn Donaldson. He had no balance or bend and was the cause of the majority of our negative plays. He has no chance of going pro this year so he may as well do some Yoga and come back.

- Don Chaney needs to be the starter going forward. He’s gotten even bigger. If he doesn’t get hurt during his dominant spring, he would have been the bellcow already. He’s healthy now.

- Justice Oluwaseun looks like a good pickup. He moved very well in space and he has some pop. He knocked a moving target on a Cam screen and knocked over Will Anderson while looking for work. He needs to start somewhere.

- The talent gap was most profound at LB. Miami can’t be Miami without Miami LBs. Even a guy like Shaq would’ve made a huge difference—when he tackled guys, they stayed tackled. The one guy who did flash true talent was Keontra Smith. He will be even better against smaller teams.

- Jalen Rivers, Xavier Restrepo, James Williams , Andres Borregales and Kam Kinchens all flashed. Kinchens was very physical and actually knocked back #4 on a blitz to force an incompletion. I want to see Leonard Taylor going forward. I get playing older, bigger DL against Bama, but don’t keep a 5* talent sulking on the bench against the rest of the schedule.

- King looked about 90%. The opponent had something to do with it. Interested to see how he looks next week. TVD has had very limited opportunities but has yet to flash. I would love to see some Garcia during this homestand. Obviously, too early to judge either guy.

- The tackling has dropped off considerably since 16-19. I don’t know why. Losing elite tacklers like Shaq and Jaquan Johnson hurt, but it shouldn’t be this drastic.

- Zion Nelson played a good, clean game but I still think he should come back. His strength isn’t all the way there yet if he’s going to be a first round, instant NFL starter. In fact, everyone on our line should come back except Jarrid Williams.

Overall, it sucked. Nothing to get excited about. Best case, this is an exhibition game which showed us the level we need to reach. Worst case, it ruins our season and we kill our home crowd the next two weeks. See you at the Rock on Saturday.
DMoney, if u saw us practice ( I assume u have) none of what we witnesses should be surprising. If u don’t tackle in practice, than how are you going to tackle in actual games? Culturally, we are lacking, and despite my hope that Manny was smart enough to adapt, the job is probably too big for him.

Advertisement
Who decides that? Simpson or Manny? Also, did Chase not get a snap on D as well?
Well manny is the dc and head coach so he’d have a say. Maybe they didn’t want Bama to be the game to introduce him to cfb. I was under the impression he’d be playing a good amount. I’d expect 10-15 snaps this week.

Last edited:
This was the same game as Clemson and UNC last year. Or LSU in 2018. Nothing felt different. Forget the opponent for a second. We didn't play well. The takeaway for the rest of the country is that Manny can’t compete in these games. There is no evidence otherwise.

On to specifics:

- The physicality gap was expected, but still deflating. The two plays that stick out to me are Navaughn Donaldson getting spun into Cam Harris and Will Mallory getting bullied into Rambo on a bubble screen. Men against boys.

- The area that scares me the most going forward is our pass rush. No length or explosiveness. We relied heavily on blitzing Amari Carter and he was handled by their RBs. Overall, Bama toyed with our blitzes. It’s a cruel joke that the one position where we were top-level (DE) goes barren right before we play Bama.

- Giving back the Turnover Chain down a million was a low point in the history of the program. Either shelve the chain or put on a point limit where we can’t give it away.

- This loss cannot beat us twice. App State and Michigan State are coming down with confidence and momentum. They expect to win and they can. Bama openers can ruin seasons. Ask FSU and Louisville. We need to respond like we did last year after Clemson, or this season can become a nightmare real fast.

- I saw a national 247 guy say this on Twitter and it’s true—the simplicity of Lashlee’s offense is great when Miami has a talent advantage, but gets exposed against equal or superior talent.

- Bama will blow out almost everyone this year. The front seven is NFL, Young can run their offense and their two transfers (Williams and Too’Too) are difference makers. The rest of our schedule is playing a different sport.

- Stevenson and Couch are the two starting corners going forward. They were two of the only guys who competed physically.

- Given the enormous talent disadvantage, the OL competed better than I thought upon rewatch. The major exception is Navaughn Donaldson. He had no balance or bend and was the cause of the majority of our negative plays. He has no chance of going pro this year so he may as well do some Yoga and come back.

- Don Chaney needs to be the starter going forward. He’s gotten even bigger. If he doesn’t get hurt during his dominant spring, he would have been the bellcow already. He’s healthy now.

- Justice Oluwaseun looks like a good pickup. He moved very well in space and he has some pop. He knocked a moving target on a Cam screen and knocked over Will Anderson while looking for work. He needs to start somewhere.

- The talent gap was most profound at LB. Miami can’t be Miami without Miami LBs. Even a guy like Shaq would’ve made a huge difference—when he tackled guys, they stayed tackled. The one guy who did flash true talent was Keontra Smith. He will be even better against smaller teams.

- Jalen Rivers, Xavier Restrepo, James Williams , Andres Borregales and Kam Kinchens all flashed. Kinchens was very physical and actually knocked back #4 on a blitz to force an incompletion. I want to see Leonard Taylor going forward. I get playing older, bigger DL against Bama, but don’t keep a 5* talent sulking on the bench against the rest of the schedule.

- King looked about 90%. The opponent had something to do with it. Interested to see how he looks next week. TVD has had very limited opportunities but has yet to flash. I would love to see some Garcia during this homestand. Obviously, too early to judge either guy.

- The tackling has dropped off considerably since 16-19. I don’t know why. Losing elite tacklers like Shaq and Jaquan Johnson hurt, but it shouldn’t be this drastic.

- Zion Nelson played a good, clean game but I still think he should come back. His strength isn’t all the way there yet if he’s going to be a first round, instant NFL starter. In fact, everyone on our line should come back except Jarrid Williams.

Overall, it sucked. Nothing to get excited about. Best case, this is an exhibition game which showed us the level we need to reach. Worst case, it ruins our season and we kill our home crowd the next two weeks. See you at the Rock on Saturday.
ill be there with my son cheering on my CANES!

Tempo only works when you are absolutely certain your guys can win their 1on1 matchups.

Tempo doesn’t work because we needed to scheme against bama to win. There was no player in our front 7 on either side of the ball who was better than the bama player opposite of them. I do put a lot of this on coaching, and I think they were delusional to think they could go man on man and win against bama. We aren’t auburn.

Advertisement
I don't know why Carter plays over Frierson.

At this point I'm about getting your best 11 players on the field. Smith is obviously way too small to play LB in the NFL, but this is College. He can run and that's exactly what we need at LB.

U know & I know why he plays over Frierson. That’s the problem.

You forgot one

* Had multiple opportunities to garner elite talent at LB and DE, yet refused to do so against what is now to date his biggest game yet.

It's inconceivable that he felt Miami would be good enough with the kids we have at those two positions. I concede that the caps and counters were against us. But you find a way.

I was shocked when he didn’t get in. Dude has been a problem at practice.

I'll say it again, in the era of the transfer portal, you better get your 5-stars in ball games or they will get restless and look elsewhere. That's the reality

And based on what we saw -- a putrid pass rush -- we need to find ways to get this guy into some 3rd down and long situations and see if he can at least disrupt things as he can pin his ears back and just rush the QB from various spots

Advertisement
Stop wasting your time with these people. If your argument doesn't fit their narrative that Manny is terrible, doesn't fix anything, and is a corch they don't want to hear it bro. We'll just continue to cheer our team on Saturdays. This can, and should, be a good season. Enjoy it bro, don't waste your energy on these people anymore.

I get why people are so frustrated. I'm frustrated. Manny has made a lot of mistakes. But he's also corrected a lot of them. I'm withholding judgment to see if he can lead this team to 10+ wins then find a great DC in the offseason.

U know & I know why he plays over Frierson. That’s the problem.
A homegrown kid that already graduated is getting benched because of senior preference?

Amari played over Frierson because Amari is more physical than Frierson and they were worried about Alabama's physicality. Right or wrong, that was the thought process. If Frierson stays focused and doesn't let his work ethic slip (like he did in spring), I would expect him to be more of a factor over the course of the season.

Advertisement
Back