Same game

I didn't see one time where we showed blitz and backed out to try to confuse young. Everytime we showed blitz we blitzed and they had time to identify it and adjust their protections.

I was expecting more press man but we played scared. At least in the lsu game we played alot of press man and it was pretty successful. Instead it looked more of the same from last year. We're out there covering grass instead of the wr

Spot on.

When we put hands on their guys, we usually stayed with them. It was free releases that lead to so many big plays.

Make no mistake Bryce Young is BRILLIANT. But every thing we showed presnap is what we did post snap. He is too good and well coached for that.

I am rewatching now and Alabama was way less physically dominant than I thought. Their system is a monster though. Lashlee needs to run hurry up like they do. Hurry to the line, hard count or just wait, and let the defense show its hand. Call a play EXACTLY to kill that defense. This is all Bama did and it was the reason the game got away. They caught us with a quick count a few times but that was rare. This style hurry up puts way more pressure on an opponent than just spamming plays fast.

Advertisement
Agree with this take. My biggest surprise on the rewatch:

I’ll agree if we had any of the past 3 years Oline I think we give up double digit sacks and we don’t even score a single point

either way going into these OOC and ACC play 10-2 or 11-1 is a must. Fire Blake James if we can’t for added pressure on manny for next year

The game was not competitive from the opening drive. While the talent gap is obvious (more in the trenches than skill positions IMO), we should be able to keep it close for a half or more.

Much has been rightly said about the vanilla offense, but it's the defense that keeps games against strong opponents from getting out of reach early, and Bama was like a knife thru warm butter from the opening kickoff. I legitimately thought they could score on every possession. Similar story vs Clemson, UNC (gave up 550 rushing yrds, FBS record) , Wisconsin (twice), NC State, much of OKST, even FIU...FIU!

CMR hired Diaz as DC and LB position coach. He was branded as a brilliant up-and-coming defensive mind. Yet I see no evidence his defenses will ever succeed against quality opponents, and his failure with the LB unit has been heavily discussed. He's had authority over the defense since 2016, hired, then fired, Baker (Mini-Me), but what has changed? Even the fundamentals are lacking--this is the worst tackling team I've seen in a Canes uniform since I started watching in the 80s.

Diaz has valuable ties to Miami, and he makes strong executive moves in the off-season, but he lack core qualities you'd expect from a head coach. All the consultants, chiefs of staff, and advisors in the world won't make up for the reality that his foundational knowledge/experience is limited.

IMO, any hope for him to get this program to the next level requires he have a rockstar staff with full autonomy to make decisions, starting with a top-10 defensive coordinator. He then needs to put every resource the school will give him into talent evaluation, recruiting, and player development. He just can't fake it anymore. The gimmicks and gadgets have gone from energizing to embarrassing. Enough with the yachts, chains, rings, slip 'n slides, and Al Golden coach-speak with selective statistics. On to APP State!

Facts. Manny is bad at evals, recruiting and game planning. His is not a brilliant strategist. As HC he doesn't need to be. But he needs a DC and higher quality players to win on the big stage.

Spot on.

When we put hands on their guys, we usually stayed with them. It was free releases that lead to so many big plays.

Make no mistake Bryce Young is BRILLIANT. But every thing we showed presnap is what we did post snap. He is too good and well coached for that.

I am rewatching now and Alabama was way less physically dominant than I thought. Their system is a monster though. Lashlee needs to run hurry up like they do. Hurry to the line, hard count or just wait, and let the defense show its hand. Call a play EXACTLY to kill that defense. This is all Bama did and it was the reason the game got away. They caught us with a quick count a few times but that was rare. This style hurry up puts way more pressure on an opponent than just spamming plays fast.
Yeah I've watched it a couple times and I didn't see us being overwhelmed by them physically. We were beat in preparation and execution way more than beating us physically

TS & Couch were physical as ****, like you said. Ivey was an embarrassment physically and in coverage. It’s become a joke. The play you mentioned was probably his 5th worst of the day. #1 & #2 being the long TD and the missed tackle vs the tight end on his first TD.
It literally is just kid gets scared when the lights come on. I’ve played with ppl like that. When they are comfortable they are all stars, but once they have to step into the spotlight it’s like they forget everything they learned. Mind boggling.

Advertisement
I'll say it again, in the era of the transfer portal, you better get your 5-stars in ball games or they will get restless and look elsewhere. That's the reality

And based on what we saw -- a putrid pass rush -- we need to find ways to get this guy into some 3rd down and long situations and see if he can at least disrupt things as he can pin his ears back and just rush the QB from various spots
Exactly. I don't care if he lined up as a 0, 3,5,7 or 9 technique. He should’ve ate some snaps. The d was on the field all game, alot because of their own doing and also because the o did nothing early. Then mix in it bring tempo , there was no breaks.

Agree, but add lack of scheme/poor game planning overall.
You get several chances to correct an obvious flaw. When you dont......
Adam Levine Thumbs Down GIF by The Voice

1st my apologies to all the Manny must go people on this site. Yes,yall are spot on he is not the coach unless a miracle happens somehow. The scheme on both sides is trash. The play calling on offense was so scary, I couldn't believe this was Da U😔. #23 was tipping like he was sneaking inside from breaking curfew, with mom and pops waiting on him. I'm just at a loss of words😔. Play the young boys🤷🏿‍♂️is all I can say.

Facts. Manny is bad at evals, recruiting and game planning. His is not a brilliant strategist. As HC he doesn't need to be. But he needs a DC and higher quality players to win on the big stage.

Ok, but outside of THAT... Manny aint half bad!!!

Advertisement
Exactly. I don't care if he lined up as a 0, 3,5,7 or 9 technique. He should’ve ate some snaps. The d was on the field all game, alot because of their own doing and also because the o did nothing early. Then mix in it bring tempo , there was no breaks.
We weren’t getting to the QB anyway. Should’ve just beefed up with Taylor and Roberts at ends occasionally

But this “line of thinking” is the problem. There’s no doubt in my mind that part of the reason Carter started is b/c he’s a 5th yr Senior & Diaz, for whatever reason, is loyal to him. Carter may be a good, coachable type player, but he’s a complete liability as a football player. He’s a liability in coverage & tackling. We have 4 yrs of data of such, yet we play him b/c “he’s physical.” Lol.

That post is not directed towards u, just frustrated as to this continued mentality.
Can't be physical if you're never even there to make a play. He's physical because he looks like a bodybuilder and targeting bro.

Advertisement
Back