Sam Howell named starting QB for UNC

Mack Brown has been out of coaching for a few years while Mark Richt took the UM job on the rebound. Not saying UNC can recapture anything but Mack Brown has had time to rest up and is ready to get back into action despite his age. Richt just didn't seem like his heart was in it.

Advertisement

Attachments

• BDADEFC9-6A60-41B7-94AA-1759B6C1377D.gif
    BDADEFC9-6A60-41B7-94AA-1759B6C1377D.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
He's doing a really good job recruiting the kids in his own state. He's got 6 of the top 20 kids committed and he's the favourite for an instate 5 star.

$urprising... really $urprising.

No idea what to expect on the field. I Hope he fails miserably.

I have a lot of friends in NC, several of which are big UNC boosters, and they tell me Mack has energized the fan base and boosters, and his recruiting is still really good. But I suspect the momentum will come to a halt in the next year or two.

Advertisement
It'll be interesting to see how Mack Brown does in his second stint at UNC. While I think this QB is going to have a steep learning curve with his first two games being against South Carolina and Miami, he has the potential to develop into a very good QB. For at least the next two years though, they won't be a problem. While they should never be a problem for us in football, that roster has holes all over it right now. I'm also not convinced Mack has the best staff (Stacy freaking Stearls is on it) to develop the players he needs to succeed.

On another note, UNC fans have to be the most delusional of all the ACC schools. They're convinced that they'll be running the coastal in two years, and pushing for NY6 bowls and a potential playoff run once "Mack gets everything he needs." I think people need to remember that Mack was ultimately the guy that ran Texas into the ground. A premier program with top PR, recruits, incredible facilities, and almost unlimited $$$. UNC has neither of those things. I think he will do better than Fedora, but that's not saying a lot.

I have a lot of friends in NC, several of which are big UNC boosters, and they tell me Mack has energized the fan base and boosters, and his recruiting is still really good. But I suspect the momentum will come to a halt in the next year or two.
He has, but since Mack's first stint at UNC, they've always erroneously believed that they are a "sleeping giant" in college football. Every new coach they've had (Butch, Fedora, etc.) were always labeled as "the guy that would take UNC Football to the next level." I think, looking at their schedule, that they're a 3 to 5 win team this year. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to compete with a Miami program that has an actually competent and forward-thinking coaching staff, along with Bronco Mendenhall at UVA and Justin Fuente at VT.

Also, if they hired Stearls after he stunk it up at Miami and in his last few years at VT, I've got to think they made a lot of other questionable hires as well.

Mack’s problem at Texas was never hyping up boosters, attending golf games, or talking a good game to reporters

It was he was so lax in his recruiting and getting the best guys... he is lucky he was begged and pleaded with to take Vince Young other wise he is Coker 2.0 minus the ring

Advertisement
Interested in your overall read on UNC and their head coach.

I mean it’s generally agreed that they’re just not going to be anything but a bottom feeder this year. No matter who the head coach is.

But I’m really intrigued by the choice of Mack Brown as their head coach. Intrigued in the sense that I can’t imagine why anybody would bring that corpse back from the dead to coach.

He had completely lost control of a program that was literally swimming in billions of dollars. No problem with facilities, no problem with being able to do what you have to do to recruit the best players, basically should be an ideal situation for anybody. Yet he drove it into the ground.

So the guy, who is 67, but looks and acts like he’s in his 80’s, is brought back to coach. And believe me, when I’ve seen him in his analyst role, which he’s been doing the last few years, he looks sedated half the time.

We thought Rick was bad, I just don’t see how this is NOT an epic fail.

Or am I missing something?
I don't see Mack Brown turning them around, I think UNC hired him because he was at UNC for 10 years & had minimal success there. He still has lots of connections with the admin at UNC so I guess they let him come back to run the ship til he retires in a few years. His job is to basically get them back to respectability.

He made a solid hire in Phil Longo as his OC, but also hired a few bag droppers in Tim Brewster & Lonnie Galloway.

Hiring Seashells is a clear indicator he's out of touch & not really aiming for anything more than a few 6-8 win type seasons before hanging it up.

He'll recruit well locally with that Jordan money, but UNC isn't going to be a contender in the Coastal anytime soon.

“The sequel is never as good as the original”

UNC trying to recapture what they did with Brown in the 90s. But these experiments almost always fail. Johnny Majors at Pitt, John Robinson at USC, Petrino at Louisville, and I believe there’s been a few other examples. He was a lazy hire by a school that can’t wait for basketball season to start.

They’ll have some illusory gains (nowhere to go but up from 2-10...) He’ll make the typical first year splash in recruiting and then reality will set in (literally every power 5 program in the Carolinas has a better coach). UNC will go nowhere. Retired in 5 years.
+ having a true frosh at QB builds in an excuse and will insure him a 2nd year.

I don't see Mack Brown turning them around, I think UNC hired him because he was at UNC for 10 years & had minimal success there. He still has lots of connections with the admin at UNC so I guess they let him come back to run the ship til he retires in a few years. His job is to basically get them back to respectability.

He made a solid hire in Phil Longo as his OC, but also hired a few bag droppers in Tim Brewster & Lonnie Galloway.

Hiring Seashells is a clear indicator he's out of touch & not really aiming for anything more than a few 6-8 win type seasons before hanging it up.

He'll recruit well locally with that Jordan money, but UNC isn't going to be a contender in the Coastal anytime soon.

He needs to load them up for three and bounce for a younger X and O guy

Advertisement
Mack is a hack.

Sam is a good QB, but having an OL that has major flaws can quickly shell shock him. Not sure if they had another choice, though

Advertisement

Completely forgot about Tim Brewster.

Gawww, I hate that fūcking guy.

Never quite could figure out why he left TAMU and his boy, coach cuck. How did they get him over there, money? Did him and cuck Jimbo have a falling out?

Advertisement
Back