Sam Howell named starting QB for UNC

Advertisement
Sam Howell was a high ranked 4-star QB outta North Carolina, considering how bad all the upperclassmen were for UNC last year there's no reason not to go with the local kid.

He should eventually do well in Phil Longo's Offense, but UNC is still 2-3 years away from having enough talent to compete at a high level.

And they're gonna learn the hard way like we did how much damage having Seashells coaching your OLine will do to your team overall.

Interested in your overall read on UNC and their head coach.

I mean it’s generally agreed that they’re just not going to be anything but a bottom feeder this year. No matter who the head coach is.

But I’m really intrigued by the choice of Mack Brown as their head coach. Intrigued in the sense that I can’t imagine why anybody would bring that corpse back from the dead to coach.

He had completely lost control of a program that was literally swimming in billions of dollars. No problem with facilities, no problem with being able to do what you have to do to recruit the best players, basically should be an ideal situation for anybody. Yet he drove it into the ground.

So the guy, who is 67, but looks and acts like he’s in his 80’s, is brought back to coach. And believe me, when I’ve seen him in his analyst role, which he’s been doing the last few years, he looks sedated half the time.

We thought Rick was bad, I just don’t see how this is NOT an epic fail.

Or am I missing something?

I don’t know anything about him. Why do you think that?
Looks really accurate and he was legitimately productive. Don’t think the “sneaky” athlete label applies here - think he’s a legit runner.

Lots of INT’s but probably just throws it deep too often. Think his dad is his high school coach so he’s prob a bit ahead of the curb and had some sort of legit QB coach. Just glad he didn’t go to FSU.

Advertisement
Sam Howell is a 4 star highly rated QB. Was committed to FSU and when the OC at FSU left he switched to NC

He is a UNC homer and has an IQ in the mid 60s. Let’s hold off before drowning Howell.
Mid 60s is being generous but otherwise
giphy.gif

Advertisement

I mean it’s generally agreed that they’re just not going to be anything but a bottom feeder this year. No matter who the head coach is.

But I’m really intrigued by the choice of Mack Brown as their head coach. Intrigued in the sense that I can’t imagine why anybody would bring that corpse back from the dead to coach.

He had completely lost control of a program that was literally swimming in billions of dollars. No problem with facilities, no problem with being able to do what you have to do to recruit the best players, basically should be an ideal situation for anybody. Yet he drove it into the ground.

So the guy, who is 67, but looks and acts like he’s in his 80’s, is brought back to coach. And believe me, when I’ve seen him in his analyst role, which he’s been doing the last few years, he looks sedated half the time.

“The sequel is never as good as the original”

UNC trying to recapture what they did with Brown in the 90s. But these experiments almost always fail. Johnny Majors at Pitt, John Robinson at USC, Petrino at Louisville, and I believe there’s been a few other examples. He was a lazy hire by a school that can’t wait for basketball season to start.

They’ll have some illusory gains (nowhere to go but up from 2-10...) He’ll make the typical first year splash in recruiting and then reality will set in (literally every power 5 program in the Carolinas has a better coach). UNC will go nowhere. Retired in 5 years.

He's doing a really good job recruiting the kids in his own state. He's got 6 of the top 20 kids committed and he's the favourite for an instate 5 star.

$urprising... really $urprising.

No idea what to expect on the field. I Hope he fails miserably.

Howell is the future, no question.

Wonder if dear old Mack made some promises though to get him to switch. Why not....that team was bad. If you're going to hitch your wagon to someone, let it be a highly rated freshman QB.

Advertisement
“The sequel is never as good as the original”

UNC trying to recapture what they did with Brown in the 90s. But these experiments almost always fail. Johnny Majors at Pitt, John Robinson at USC, Petrino at Louisville, and I believe there’s been a few other examples. He was a lazy hire by a school that can’t wait for basketball season to start.

They’ll have some illusory gains (nowhere to go but up from 2-10...) He’ll make the typical first year splash in recruiting and then reality will set in (literally every power 5 program in the Carolinas has a better coach). UNC will go nowhere. Retired in 5 years.

Probably right

Advertisement
He's doing a really good job recruiting the kids in his own state. He's got 6 of the top 20 kids committed and he's the favourite for an instate 5 star.

$urprising... really $urprising.

No idea what to expect on the field. I Hope he fails miserably.

Let’s see if they stick

Advertisement
Back