Salvaging the 2019 class

View as article
Advertisement
Like your positive approach of doing the best right now until things turn around. Salvage this 2019 recruiting season and stay south Florida focused in 2020.

Sofla looks better in 20 than the 18 class and Canes per 247 is on more than enough studs to fill a class.

The fact that you said limit the number of transfers from the 2018 class tells me all that I need to know. We're screwed.

We are ****ed. **** it! Sick of this do less with more until you have to do more with less.

Advertisement
Just putting weight on the kids doesn’t make a S&C program successful (or even OK). That’s not development, that’s weight gain.

Does this Miami team look explosive? Does this Miami team look fast? Does this Miami team look strong? I’d say Miami is “meh” for all 3. I question Gus right along with Searels.
Bingo id put him on notice as well

Fox is real solid.

In terms of upside, my favorite guy is Jake Pope from STA. 6'7, skinny and really athletic. He's been committed to a Kentucky and may be hard to flip.

He is now 6’9! SEC family although dad may like Miami. He also has academic offers from
Ivy League schools so he won’t have a problem at Miami.

Just putting weight on the kids doesn’t make a S&C program successful (or even OK). That’s not development, that’s weight gain.

Does this Miami team look explosive? Does this Miami team look fast? Does this Miami team look strong? I’d say Miami is “meh” for all 3. I question Gus right along with Searels.
You cant teach speed. And i think the speed on the team is fine overall. But there are some guys who just aren't fast and never will be.

You cant teach speed. And i think the speed on the team is fine overall. But there are some guys who just aren't fast and never will be.

On offense we have a ton of individual speed, it’s just our coach is slow, scheme is slow, and our QBs are slow (mentally along with inaccuracy). In a modern scheme we are terrorizing defenses.

Advertisement
This class is a disaster right now. And I don't see a path to the Top 10. The personnel department does a great job, but they are limited by the results on the field.

With all that said, there is still time on the clock. I think back to the 2015 class. Even in a brutal cycle, you still found a big-time safety combo (JJ/Redwine), DT combo (McIntosh/Norton), CB (Mike Jackson) and RB (Mark Walton). The volume of busts is what set us back.

Here's how we can do better than 2015.

Finish with the big names. This is an easy one. We are in the top group for Tyrique Stevenson, Jadon Haselwood and Khris Bogle. Getting two of three is must. Getting all three would bring some good feelings back in this class.

Get quality from South Florida. This one is predictable coming from me, but necessary. The 2015 still haunts us in two big ways. First, we signed Evan Shirreffs instead of Lamar Jackson. Second, every OL that we signed north of Tampa turned out to be a bust. Milo, Loftus, Jones and Mahoney aren't Miami caliber. There were several other OOS washouts including Jerome Washington, Fines and Gordinier.

We need to get more players like Sheldrick Redwine. This site wanted offers for Redwine and Reshad Fenton the entire cycle. Both guys turned out to be studs and future pros. But what about local busts like James King, Rob Knowles (who I liked) and Terrance Henley? The key is focusing on guys who have legitimate Power 5 interest. There is time to flip them.

Recruit your own team. You are always going to have attrition. But we need to limit the transfers from the 2018 class. That is a talented group from top to bottom, and a lot of those guys are better than what's available this year. The Ezzards and Friersons can make an impact for us.

JUCOs and Grad Transfers. I love JUCOs. Butch recruited JUCOs even when he was signing Hall of Famers out of high school. They are more physically mature and some are freakish late-bloomers. If the character is right, bring them in. There is a need at OT, DT and DE.

This staff has done an awesome with grad transfers. I'd like us to pick up a 23-year-old blocking TE/FB. Those guys don't always go pro, so you can get a high-quality role player.

Richt and the staff are experienced, good recruiters. The class is bad because the team is bad and we're competing with top teams. I am very curious to see how they use the next three months.
@DMoney can you opine on why this staff continually paints itself into a box and almost refuses to establish contingency plans at various positions?

QB
OT
DT
RB this year

You have a lot of knowledge about track. I think you ran track like @par or @Miami Nights on some level. Do you think adding a track coach onto the S&C staff would make a big difference or is it likely that there's one there already and for whatever reason, they're not getting done?

Most all of those players increased their strenght lifts and testing numbers. I recall someone inside the U weight room took photos of the big boards listing the positions strengths of each group and they were impressive in most instances. The posts are somewhere in the archives on this site. I remember Homer squatting 490 and benching 340, DJ improving bench press almost 100 pounds and similar in squat...Robert Burns bench pressing 400 and squatting 500.
In the D line Willis over 400 in the bench, Joe Jackson 380 bench, Garvin adding muscle and bench up 75 pounds from the previous year.

If I was a recruit there is no way I would come to Miami. In fact I hope none of the top recruits come here. Don't want to see Richt ***** there careers up like he is doing Perry, Jordan, Thomas and others.

This ignorant rhetoric that’s being blasted on this board and on social media is absurd.

Some of the highest paid players in the NFL played for Richt in college. He really ruined their careers I’ll tell ya!

Advertisement
D$, I've been preaching and echoing exactly what you've been saying for YEARS.

Unfortunately, the through line from Coker to Richt is a lack of a fundamental principals you've outlined.

#1 - Get the big names you can get. Its South Florida, you've got bags flowing like wine but you need to at least get your share.

#2 - Evaluate Evaluate Evaluate - you've got message board bozos like present company (myself included) that can find these kids just by going to a few games, having our ears to the street, coaching some Youth or HS football, watching some hudl film, but you've got millionaires, men that are paid to perform this duty consistently fail at this core fundamental of managing anything. Evaluate Evaluate Evaluate. Miami, right now, should have like two dozen legitimate, commitable offers out RIGHT NOW to South Florida offensive linemen and a slew of Junior College players that have been discussed on this very board. If you - as a Miami Hurricanes staffer and evaluator - do not think these guys are worthy of an offer at this point, get f'n lost. If message board bozos can see it and you can not, wtf are you doing here?

#3 - I was talking to gogeta about this a few days ago...Miami needs a JUCO or Grad Transfer at the following positions

QB
TE/FB
OL (2)
iDL (2)
CB/DB
P

Why?

Because the bottom 1/4 of our roster is unusable trash that has not been nicely told to get lost. Its to the point where some of this 1/4 of the roster has had to take significant snaps AND START for Miami this year because, even by year three, we have a staff that can not evaluate and identify talent. So, Miami needs IMMEDIATE help...do they need to start? NO. But this program needs, desperately, role players that contribute immediately. Adrian Colbert's if you will.

Dontye Carriere-Williams would fill the role of a #3 or #4 corner perfectly fine. The Dean's of the world, the Knowles of the world need to be replaced by anyone with a pulse right now.

Messiah deWeaver - former 4* QB recruit @ Michigan State, now at EMCC getting offers from the MAC programs of the world - maybe he becomes a Cincinnati type recruit after balling out for an undefeated EMCC team, an EMCC team that has produced numerous legit D1 QBs. Does deWeaver start here? Likely not. Does he push the trash ahead of him to get better or get lost...at bare minimum YES.

This program needs two legitimate upperclass OL to at least be backups and special teamers. They don't even need to replace the Jones and Mahoneys of the world yet, they just need to replace the Bar Milos of the world. The George Browns of the world. Guys that have no business on a D1 roster.

This team is going to lose Gerald Willis and behind him, we have Nesta and a bunch of young 3* players and unusable trash. Miami needs players that are functional at minimum to replace players like Tyreic Martin. Nevermind the lack of depth, because we are losing Tito as well who is playing significant snaps for the program.

Some may disagree - because we have Jordan and Mallory - but we need tight end depth, too. Mostly in the world of a blocker. Go look at who Bill Snyder or whatever is recruiting at TE/FB in the JUCO ranks and go poach. This is also a perfect area to go poach a Grad Transfer from, from the deep FCS or D2 levels.

Punter speaks for itself. Go dumpster dive in the D2 world for a grad transfer.

--

If you can not swing for the fences and land a homerun class, you need to be able to put together a functional class that shows you have an understanding of the current needs of the program. The biggest needs right now are on the OL and DL as well as a significant influx of usable talent as role players. That should be the focus going down the stretch. Miami's biggest weakness are the lines and having an incredibly weak bottom 1/4 of the roster.

Advertisement
Mark Fox of MNW is an example of a guy we failed to lock down. He is now 6-5 approaching 300 lbs and has division I strength with a 365 bench and 440 squat. I remember one of the U coaches saying he was more of a right tackle. What in the **** do we need right now?
Mark Fox along with the rest of the MNW oline is horrible. Wilson from CC is somewhat better. Seen both play several times live. Wilson is more of a take.

DMoney,

Have you thought about eliminating the recruiting board. It seems like it serves no purpose moving forward.

Or maybe we can merge it with FAU and FIU.

Advertisement
Back