Safety/Linebacker hybrids

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
South Florida is starting to churn out a ton of safety/linebacker hybrids. This year alone, you have Bruce Davis, Rodrick Archer, Adrienne Talan and Khalid McGee. These are some of the best pure football players in the region because of their versatility and aggressive natures.

Some teams like Duke and North Carolina are starting to feature these S/LB hybrids in their base defenses. A former South Florida four-star, Jeremy Cash, has become a star in Duke's 4-2-5. Lately, we've been using these guys as LBs on passing downs (Cornelius last year, Grace this year).

For the defensive folks on the board (Wildcat, WestEndZone, etc.): how viable is the 4-2-5 as a base defense at Miami? What do you find to be the best ways to utilize these types of players?

Roderick Archer highlights
Bruce Davis highlights
Adrienne Talan highlights
Khalid McGee highlights

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's one reason I am not thrilled about the insistence on lining up in 3-4 looks more often. The kind of players it requires to be ran successfully, are the opposite of the players South Florida produces regularly. i.e. guys that might be considered undersized but who can run, the tweener hybrid types you referenced. The coaching staff have highlighted several times how excited they are that player X is getting so much bigger. I hate the idea of signing a kid who could contribute right away in a 4-3 but has to go through two years of weights and nutrition to get big enough to hold his own in a 3-4. Why not emphasize the natural strengths of the players in your recruiting base as opposed to trying to make square pegs fit into round holes?

Most teams are in nickle over 50 percent of the time now because of spread offenses. College defenses should be multiple now 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5. I think you just go get good football players. I also think the way the game is being played now you want to think about that nickle guy being a bigger Safety unless he is special. So I think a coach has to ask them self is somebody like Tim Irvin special or do you put a bigger body in that position.

That's one reason I am not thrilled about the insistence on lining up in 3-4 looks more often. The kind of players it requires to be ran successfully, are the opposite of the players South Florida produces regularly. i.e. guys that might be considered undersized but who can run, the tweener hybrid types you referenced. The coaching staff have highlighted several times how excited they are that player X is getting so much bigger. I hate the idea of signing a kid who could contribute right away in a 4-3 but has to go through two years of weights and nutrition to get big enough to hold his own in a 3-4. Why not emphasize the natural strengths of the players in your recruiting base as opposed to trying to make square pegs fit into round holes?

Very good point. That's why Jimmy Johnson used to say our 4-3 was basically a 5 LB defense--both DEs were basically LBs with hands on the ground. JJ also said he never would have switched Alonzo Highsmith to RB. e would have utilized him as a DE on the opposite side from Danny Stubbs. I'v felt that one of the big problems the last few seasons might have been wrong personnel for our defense, although I think the personnel was mediocre enough to make any DC look bad.

Advertisement
Khalid McGee is a freaking stud, what's wrong with our staff. I have been screaming for months he needs an offer.

I thought McGee already had an offer. But to the staff's defense, they only have 18-20 to give, with 11 verbals already, and minimum 4 DBs to take. They are running out of spots quickly.

Advertisement
Khalid McGee is a freaking stud, what's wrong with our staff. I have been screaming for months he needs an offer.

I thought McGee already had an offer. But to the staff's defense, they only have 18-20 to give, with 11 verbals already, and minimum 4 DBs to take. They are running out of spots quickly.

He doesn't have an offer from us currently FSU leads for him. I understand the scholly numbers. I don't understand how you offer some kids out of state but not one in your backyard. FSU is going to get anothee stud throwing up the 305 and it's disgusting.

South Florida is starting to churn out a ton of safety/linebacker hybrids. This year alone, you have Bruce Davis, Rodrick Archer, Adrienne Talan and Khalid McGee. These are some of the best pure football players in the region because of their versatility and aggressive natures.

Some teams like Duke and North Carolina are starting to feature these S/LB hybrids in their base defenses. A former South Florida four-star, Jeremy Cash, has become a star in Duke's 4-2-5. Lately, we've been using these guys as LBs on passing downs (Cornelius last year, Grace this year).

For the defensive folks on the board (Wildcat, WestEndZone, etc.): how viable is the 4-2-5 as a base defense at Miami? What do you find to be the best ways to utilize these types of players?

Bruce Davis highlights
Khalid McGee highlights

Thanks for asking for my opinion, Dmoney.

I think the 425 would be great for our conference and for our recruiting pool. With the explosion of spread and hurry up offenses these days, I have to imagine that any nickel based system is a safe way to go. I would take the 425 over the 335, but my opinion is biased. I spent three years coaching in a 425.

The two schools that made the 425 relevant are TCU and Boise State. We used TCU terminology/rules. Our staff took a trip to Ft. Worth to meet with Gary Patterson and their staff. We also had a Div. III DC come to our school and give us a weekend long crash course on the TCU 425. The 425 is a sectional, no-huddle defense, with a lot of moving parts, turning it into a bit of an amorphous blob. It can be a 44, 43, 42, or 33, all in the same personnel. The front's responsibilities are completely independent of the secondary's; and the secondary features split field coverage, meaning the one half of the secondary's responsibilities are independent of the other half's responsibilities. Everything is taught sectionally. One position group would have to learn a max of 8-15 terms. THATS IT.

To stay on topic, since this a recruiting thread, let's talk about the secondary and recruiting:

The 425, at it's core, is a nickel defense (obviously). Base-ing out of nickel personnel means that you always have a "five spoke" secondary. Those five spokes are (from field to boundary): FC [field corner], S$, F$, W$, and BC [boundary corner]. Every position pre-aligns based on placement of the ball. Your best Corner plays to the boundary.

Most teams like to attack the 425 to the boundary, both in the run and pass game. See http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...Cs!/page5?highlight=automatic+alignment+rules (Talking a little bit about attacking the boundary). He has to be your best cover guy and your best tackler from that position (Tracy Howard). The field guy can be less athletic. Usually bigger corners do well in that spot (Artie Burns). He will be in deep coverage most of the time, especially if you base your 425 out of quarters coverage, as most 425's do.

The next position group to talk about is Safety. This position group is really cool, and a lot of what DMoney said was, well, on the money. Playing with three Safeties allows you to specialize each of those positions. The S$ position, like stated earlier, always aligns to the field. Additionally, S$ is always playing from an inverted alignment. Inverted meaning that he is never playing deep like a traditional safety. This position is exactly what Dmoney is talking about. You have a guy who is athletic enough to play like a traditional nickel, but has enough bulk to hang in the run game. The S$ NEEDS to have a ***** or two loose. He needs to be incredibly aggressive as the main force player in the run game. Take a look at a few clips from TCU against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin was the essence of power football at the time. Be sure to watch #28, their S$. Several times in the game hes taking on 300+ lb guards and just chopping their legs out. Tough player.

[video=youtube;UzaJ3Yuchh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaJ3Yuchh0[/video]

#28 is no specimen by any means. I think we can recruit some monsters for the position.

Weak Safety is essentially the same position. The W$ spends split time deep and inverted. Logic would tell you that you need a guy that is a bit more athletic (less linebacker-ish), but that's not necessarily true. The W$ only has to play on the boundary hash. He has a lot less ground to cover than the F$. The W$ would definitely be the smaller of the two, but not by much. He too needs to play as a primary force defender in the run game, just as the S$ does. We would an easy time recruiting this type of kid, just like S$

The last spot would be the Free Safety. He is the most active of the group. He's always deep, and he roams both field and boundary. He aligns to what's called the "Read Side" which is just the secondary strength (since it's independent of the front's strength). He needs to be a smart kid. He also needs to be your best open field tackler.

Patterson, and most 425 guys play an inverted cover-2 coverage (Cov.7, Robber or Cov.2) to traditional two back sets. The F$ aligns to the strength of the formation with heels at 8 yards. He's playing robber technique on the #2 receiver (usually a TE). Oversimplified, robbing the #2 receiver means that he'll take him man to man only if he releases vertical (While remaining flat footed during his read [as opposed to backpedaling]). If he releases any other way, the F$ will be late help on #1. Playing with heels at 8 allows the F$ to play as a third inside linebacker. All 425 run fits account for the F$ as a primary run defender. He needs to be your best football player. He needs to hit like a LB and cover like a $.

If I would pick our 425 back 5:
FC: Gunter/Burns
S$: Grace/Carter/Bush/Owens
F$: Crawford/Jenkins/Bush
W$: Bush/Carter
BC: Howard

Last edited:

Bruce Davis highlights
Khalid McGee highlights

Thanks for asking for my opinion, Dmoney.

I think the 425 would be great for our conference and for our recruiting pool. With the explosion of spread and hurry up offenses these days, I have to imagine that any nickel based system is a safe way to go. I would take the 425 over the 335, but my opinion is biased. I spent three years coaching in a 425.

The two schools that made the 425 relevant are TCU and Boise State. We used TCU terminology/rules. Our staff took a trip to Ft. Worth to meet with Gary Patterson and their staff. We also had a Div. III DC come to our school and give us a weekend long crash course on the TCU 425. The 425 is a sectional, no-huddle defense, with a lot of moving parts, turning it into a bit of an amorphous blob. It can be a 44, 43, 42, or 33, all in the same personnel. The front's responsibilities are completely independent of the secondary's; and the secondary features split field coverage, meaning the one half of the secondary's responsibilities are independent of the other half's responsibilities. Everything is taught sectionally. One position group would have to learn a max of 8-15 terms. THATS IT.

To stay on topic, since this a recruiting thread; let's talk about the secondary and recruiting:

The 425, at it's core, is a nickel defense (obviously). Base-ing out of nickel personnel means that you always have a "five spoke" secondary. Those five spokes are (from field to boundary): FC [field corner], S$, F$, W$, and BC [boundary corner]. Every position pre-aligns based on placement of the ball. Your best Corner plays to the boundary.

Most teams like to attack the 425 to the boundary, both in the run and pass game. See http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...Cs!/page5?highlight=automatic+alignment+rules (Talking a little bit about attacking the boundary). He has to be your best cover guy and your best tackler from that position (Tracy Howard). The field guy can be less athletic. Usually bigger corners do well in that spot (Artie Burns). He will be in deep coverage most of the time, especially if you base your 425 out of quarters coverage, as most 425's do.

The next position group to talk about is Safety. This position group is really cool, and a lot of what DMoney said was, well, on the money. Playing with three Safeties allows you to specialize each of those positions. The S$ position, like stated earlier, always aligns to the field. Additionally, S$ is always playing from an inverted alignment. Inverted meaning that he is never playing deep like a traditional safety. This position is exactly what Dmoney is talking about. You have a guy who is athletic enough to play like a traditional nickel, but has enough bulk to hang in the run game. The S$ NEEDS to have a ***** or two loose. He needs to be incredibly aggressive as the main force player in the run game. Take a look at a few clips from TCU against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin was the essence of power football at the time. Be sure to watch #28, their S$. Several times in the game hes taking on 300+ lb guards and just chopping their legs out. Tough player.

[video=youtube;UzaJ3Yuchh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaJ3Yuchh0[/video]

#28 is no specimen by any means. I think we can recruit some monsters for the position.

Weak Safety is essentially the same position. The W$ spends split time deep and inverted. Logic would tell you that you need a guy that is a bit more athletic (less linebacker-ish), but that's not necessarily true. The W$ only has to play on the boundary hash. He has a lot less ground to cover than the F$. The W$ would definitely be the smaller of the two, but not by much. He too needs to play as a primary force defender in the run game, just as the S$ does. We would an easy time recruiting this type of kid, just like S$

The last spot would be the Free Safety. He is the most active of the group. He's always deep, and he roams both field and boundary. He aligns to what's called the "Read Side" which is just the secondary strength (since it's independent of the front's strength). He needs to be a smart kid. He also needs to be your best open field tackler.

Patterson, and most 425 guys play an inverted cover-2 coverage (Cov.7, Robber or Cov.2) to traditional two back sets. The F$ aligns to the strength of the formation with heels at 8 yards. He's playing robber technique on the #2 receiver (usually a TE). Oversimplified, robbing the #2 receiver means that he'll take him man to man only if he releases vertical (While remaining flat footed during his read [as opposed to backpedaling]). If he releases any other way, the F$ will be late help on #1. Playing with heels at 8 allows the F$ to play as a third inside linebacker. All 425 run fits account for the F$ as a primary run defender. He needs to be your best football player. He needs to hit like a LB and cover like a $.

If I would pick our 425 back 5:
FC: Gunter/Burns
S$: Grace/Carter/Bush
F$: Crawford/Jenkins/Bush
W$: Bush/Carter
BC: Howard

With the way you described the S$ position, I feel Carter would really excel there. He is that aggressive guy you talk about then maybe Crawford. I feel those are the two most aggressive safeties on the team. Deon is also the best or must fundamental tackler so he would be a solid F$. Now that you broke it down, we actually have the personnel for it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
With the way you described the S$ position, I feel Carter would really excel there. He is that aggressive guy you talk about then maybe Crawford. I feel those are the two most aggressive safeties on the team. Deon is also the best or must fundamental tackler so he would be a solid F$. Now that you broke it down, we actually have the personnel for it.

I think so too, but I wouldn't have been able to say the same thing last year. All of a sudden we're loaded at $. Yes! Carter would be a monster at both S$ and W$.

Doesn't or didn't South Carolina have success with a 4-2-5 look? For a while they were producing some absolute monsters at the star/rover/whatever they called it position

I think so too, but I wouldn't have been able to say the same thing last year. All of a sudden we're loaded at $. Yes! Carter would be a monster at both S$ and W$.

I am of the opinion that the turf in hole we have to play in is slow -- especially compared to the old OB. It seems our speed advantage start to slip away once we moved(maybe it is our recruiting but I remember our old turf being a subject of pregame commentary back in the da. Does this 4-2-5 need speed or is it something TCU uses to cover up for a lack of it? And, what do you think of the rug in Fins' place? I walked the OB many a times but never been on the grass in whatever the name is of the new place.

Advertisement

I am of the opinion that the turf in hole we have to play in is slow -- especially compared to the old OB. It seems our speed advantage start to slip away once we moved(maybe it is our recruiting but I remember our old turf being a subject of pregame commentary back in the da. Does this 4-2-5 need speed or is it something TCU uses to cover up for a lack of it? And, what do you think of the rug in Fins' place? I walked the OB many a times but never been on the grass in whatever the name is of the new place.

I always carry the opinion of "if we are slower due to the turf so is the other team". I don't see that being an issue.

Wait....so your tellin me we have FAST, AGGRESSIVE athletes in the same county as UM, yet we dont give them a chance of day??

PASS: Must have grade or character issues guysm

Wait....so your tellin me we have FAST, AGGRESSIVE athletes in the same county as UM, yet we dont give them a chance of day??

PASS: Must have grade or character issues guysm

I stopped reading the OP once I saw Duke had a good football player. Knew it could not be true. I think he is mocking us. ****.

A lot of good stuff in here guys, but this thread is frustrating as **** knowing that as long as Golden is here we won't be playing this brand of football.

It's a shame that we couldn't get Grace on the field last year. It's a shame that'll he'll only play third and longs this year. It's a shame that our staff is so stuck in their ways that they can't adjust their philosophy to take advantage of the athletes available to us.

Advertisement
Back