Saban's weekly Press Conference: Miami Week

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Bama 247 board has a weekly column called "What Saban said and what we think he means"

Here's a few excerpts from his press conference today:

Saban on possibility of offense sustaining historic pace of last few seasons: “I really can't answer that because I don't know what people think out there, you probably have a better feel for that than I do. But I think the realistic approach is we have a lot of new players on offense, and it's a work in progress to get all these players to develop to be productive and consistent performers. We're working hard on that. The coaches are doing a good job of that."

"We've got new faces and a lot of positions, which creates a lot of opportunity for people. How they manage it in the game, how they can take it to the game, how they prepare for the game, those are all question marks that get answered when you play a game. We're working hard on it."

"Wherever we are, we're going to continue to work on it and develop it. I have confidence in the players that we have. We just have, you know players that don't have as much experience as we had a year ago. So, we're gonna see how that manifests itself in positive performance on a consistent basis and how can they manage playing one play at a time and how can they stay focused on executing and doing their job, and I think that'll go a long way to say, you know how productive we are you know as an offensive team.”

What we think it means: This isn't the plug and play situation UA unleashed on opponents over the last four seasons. Monday's drop of the depth chart revealed a unit that will lean heavily on fresh faces, with an emphasis on the passing game.

That doesn't mean it can't perform well enough to provide plenty of points while working opposite of a defense that should be Alabama's best in at least five years -- and might just score a good bit in its own right. Just don't expect this team to put up 45-plus points for a fourth-straight season. Instead, think more along the lines of 2017, when UA averaged a healthy 37.1 points per contest and go from there.

Advertisement
Saban on speed at linebacker when defending Miami quarterback D'Eriq King on extended plays: “I think team speed on defense in this day and age in football is very, very important with all the people who run spread, who really are gonna make you cover horizontally as well as vertically, the entire field. And when you have great athletes that have great speed, especially at the quarterback position, that adds another element to that that you’re out here, spread out, trying to cover all these guys and now you’ve got a quarterback who’s got great ability to scrambling, extend plays, make plays scrambling throwing as well as running, that adds another element to it. He certainly does that extremely well."

"He executes their offense extremely well. He’s very comfortable in how he manages the game for them. He gets them in plays that have a great chance to be successful for them. And he’s a good decision-maker, whether it’s the RPOs, the bubbles, the smokes, the plays that they run that complement the running game. So I think this guy presents lots of issues because he’s a great player and a great athlete and he’s a great quarterback all rolled in one.”

What we think it means: With former Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee in charge of the UM offense these days, King triggers a power spread attack. With that, the objective for the Alabama defense this week is to actually put King in the position of scrambling on third down. In other words, take away the zone read runs and quick perimeter throws on early downs and make King, who averaged 48.9 rushing yards per game in 2020, beat you with intermediate and vertical tosses from the pocket.

Will his background as a pressure beater with legs mean more of a mush rush approach when UA gets King and Co. in third-and-along? Considering he's coming off an ACL injury sustained in late December 2020, Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding may not be adverse to taking a more aggressive approach with the likes of Will Anderson, Christopher Allen and Christian Harris during the early stages of the game.

Here’s to hoping Rambo and Tyrique dafreak explain to the rest of the team you gotta bring it and battle for 4 quarters

If Lashlee and Manny can at least be break-even from a play calling standpoint, our experience should negate their talent

then it’s a good ol toss up

and my money is on King

Advertisement
Just have to block. as long as King isn't running for his life all game we will be good. they will have their plays where our guys will get beat and that's ok King can handle it, just not every play. that line will be surprisingly good we are just as big and athletic as Bama on the line, we need to play to our potential and let king do the rest.

this team has played clemson recently, with trevor lawrence and etienne and vennables D.

did we get beat badly yes? but ultimately it was the WR's inability to create separation and at least this group has seen a team of this caliber recently. I don't think we'll be manhandled by any stretch

we're the 2nd most experienced team in the nation, it's going to come down to penalties, turnovers, and our DL in my opinion

This is what worries me the most...

R.bcfdfbb250dfac1ecc147105948bffbe

Advertisement
Bama 247 board has a weekly column called "What Saban said and what we think he means"

Here's a few excerpts from his press conference today:

Saban on possibility of offense sustaining historic pace of last few seasons: “I really can't answer that because I don't know what people think out there, you probably have a better feel for that than I do. But I think the realistic approach is we have a lot of new players on offense, and it's a work in progress to get all these players to develop to be productive and consistent performers. We're working hard on that. The coaches are doing a good job of that."

"We've got new faces and a lot of positions, which creates a lot of opportunity for people. How they manage it in the game, how they can take it to the game, how they prepare for the game, those are all question marks that get answered when you play a game. We're working hard on it."

"Wherever we are, we're going to continue to work on it and develop it. I have confidence in the players that we have. We just have, you know players that don't have as much experience as we had a year ago. So, we're gonna see how that manifests itself in positive performance on a consistent basis and how can they manage playing one play at a time and how can they stay focused on executing and doing their job, and I think that'll go a long way to say, you know how productive we are you know as an offensive team.”

What we think it means: This isn't the plug and play situation UA unleashed on opponents over the last four seasons. Monday's drop of the depth chart revealed a unit that will lean heavily on fresh faces, with an emphasis on the passing game.

That doesn't mean it can't perform well enough to provide plenty of points while working opposite of a defense that should be Alabama's best in at least five years -- and might just score a good bit in its own right. Just don't expect this team to put up 45-plus points for a fourth-straight season. Instead, think more along the lines of 2017, when UA averaged a healthy 37.1 points per contest and go from there.
What gives you the idea they will emphasize on the passing game?

Advertisement
Not my opinion- the Bama writers are interpreting what Saban said.
Bryce Young is throwing the ball, a lot. It's what we do. From our spring game to camp scrimmage reports Young has been letting her rip and very successfully. The receivers are going to surprise, because not much is known about Williams, JoJo Earl, Hall, and Holden. This group of receivers actually timed out faster as a group than last season. Jojo Earl is listed as a co-starter with Slade Bolden and will return punts. He will be joined by John Metchie and Jameis Williams who can both get it.

Advertisement
Our Oline has to play lights out, on defense contain the run and pressure, pressure, and more pressure

Our Oline has to play lights out, on defense contain the run and pressure, pressure, and more pressure
If we trained in the off season like our life depends on each workout (7) days a week, I’d say YES we can achieve everything yo mentioned.

This will show early if we did this , if not get the clicker set on the previous channel.

I believe we did this .

I expect a physical Rocky type fight roller coaster ride , to withstand this the level of offseason training will determine the winner.

I will not abandon the Canes her in this EPIC FIGHT.

WE WIN THIS IN A CLASSIC.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back