Saban was 7-6 his first year

Advertisement
I am a die hard Miami fan and UM graduate living in Alabama. After this past weekend several of my Alabama friends reminded me that Saban was 7-6 his first year in Alabama. Not saying Richt is Saban but he did inherit a pretty thin team. What do we have maybe 71 scholarship players? No question the O-line is weak (people way underestimate the need for a good O-line), we are playing a ton freshman, and the injury count has taken a significant toll.

All that said I for one will give Richt a couple of years to build a team before I get too worried.

All fair points.
And Jimmy Johnson had his problems in his first year at UM.
But what Saban and Johnson had in common is that they both made changes after their first season.
I think in Saban's case he tweaked that offense. I think they bumped Major Applewhite out of the OC
gig if I recall correctly.
Jimmy re-did his defensive assistant staff and philosophy and had to tweak his offensive staff when
some of them left to follow Schnellenberger to Louisville.
So I hope Richt makes some changes after this season much like those two coaches and not sit on his
*** like Al Golden did on defense.

JJ was forced to keep Howard's staff and they were in virtual rebellion because one of them didn't get the job. I think he canned a bunch before the season even ended. I remember thinking a that a bunched of the players were rebelling too.

Everyone who seeks to defend Mark by using Saban needs to remember that Saban's previous season in COLLEGE was a NC. In between he was at the highest level in his profession. It is silly to even imply that Saban's first year at Bama justifies the complete failure of this year's offense, Mark's side of the ball and a step backward of the starting QB, Mark's call to fame. Mark will get more time but this year was a failure except getting lucky to land Coach Kool. Him and MAYBE Manny our the only two coaches on the staff who should be safe for next year. Every else should have a pink slip with the name on it ready to be signed!

There is another big difference:

Richt is not the stone cold coaching killer that Saban is.

Saban will put his foot into anyone's @ss to win a football game. He's high energy and intense

Richt wants to preach Sunday school and pass out bibles. He's low energy and has the disposition of a priest

Some priests are savages. Just ask my permanently distended ******. If Rick can be that sort of savage priest we got a shot. We really got a shot.

This means that we will win the NC next year and win at an unprecedented rate!

That's exactly what it means, friend! Let the good times roll!

What was Folden's record his first year here? He must have been 11-1. That must be why he failed. He didn't go 7-6.

Advertisement
I am a die hard Miami fan and UM graduate living in Alabama. After this past weekend several of my Alabama friends reminded me that Saban was 7-6 his first year in Alabama. Not saying Richt is Saban but he did inherit a pretty thin team. What do we have maybe 71 scholarship players? No question the O-line is weak (people way underestimate the need for a good O-line), we are playing a ton freshman, and the injury count has taken a significant toll.

All that said I for one will give Richt a couple of years to build a team before I get too worried.

All fair points.
But what Saban and Johnson had in common is that they both made changes after their first season.
I think in Saban's case he tweaked that offense. I think they bumped Major Applewhite out of the OC
Jimmy re-did his defensive assistant staff and philosophy and had to tweak his offensive staff when
So I hope Richt makes some changes after this season much like those two coaches and not sit on his

JJ was forced to keep Howard's staff and they were in virtual rebellion because one of them didn't get the job. I think he canned a bunch before the season even ended. I remember thinking a that a bunched of the players were rebelling too.

Everyone who seeks to defend Mark by using Saban needs to remember that Saban's previous season in COLLEGE was a NC. In between he was at the highest level in his profession. It is silly to even imply that Saban's first year at Bama justifies the complete failure of this year's offense, Mark's side of the ball and a step backward of the starting QB, Mark's call to fame. Mark will get more time but this year was a failure except getting lucky to land Coach Kool. Him and MAYBE Manny our the only two coaches on the staff who should be safe for next year. Every else should have a pink slip with the name on it ready to be signed!

You missed the point of my thread completely, and I guess it's understandable since hysterics is what is in vogue on this board these days.
Thanks.

Richt was 8-4 year one at Georgia.

13-1 year two.

Vegas had us at 8-4 before the season.

That is about where we will be.

All fair points.

You missed the point of my thread completely, and I guess it's understandable since hysterics is what is in vogue on this board these days.
Thanks.

If you mean the Mark needed to make changes, I got that and agree completely. We will see if he does.

Advertisement

Saban will put his foot into anyone's @ss to win a football game. He's high energy and intense

Richt wants to preach Sunday school and pass out bibles. He's low energy and has the disposition of a priest

Erickson was "low energy" and won 2 titles.

Saban is successful because he recruits and develops better than anyone in the game right now.

If we can find a way to do that at a high level then we'll win games, regardless of play calling.

Advertisement

Some priests are savages. Just ask my permanently distended ******. If Rick can be that sort of savage priest we got a shot. We really got a shot.

Maybe the offense needs an exorcist.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Golden lost 6 games his first year too....

Richt is no saban. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for some of you to grasp.

Can Richt land a Top 5 Recruiting class like Saban has every year? That will determine his success here more than his coaching ability

Advertisement
Back