Saban was 7-6 his first year

caddss

Recruit
I am a die hard Miami fan and UM graduate living in Alabama. After this past weekend several of my Alabama friends reminded me that Saban was 7-6 his first year in Alabama. Not saying Richt is Saban but he did inherit a pretty thin team. What do we have maybe 71 scholarship players? No question the O-line is weak (people way underestimate the need for a good O-line), we are playing a ton freshman, and the injury count has taken a significant toll.

All that said I for one will give Richt a couple of years to build a team before I get too worried.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That team had a bunch of returning starters and barely made a bowl. Near identical record compared to the year before.

We will need massive improvement with our offense to be competitive next year.

I am a die hard Miami fan and UM graduate living in Alabama. After this past weekend several of my Alabama friends reminded me that Saban was 7-6 his first year in Alabama. Not saying Richt is Saban but he did inherit a pretty thin team. What do we have maybe 71 scholarship players? No question the O-line is weak (people way underestimate the need for a good O-line), we are playing a ton freshman, and the injury count has taken a significant toll.

All that said I for one will give Richt a couple of years to build a team before I get too worried.

All fair points.
And Jimmy Johnson had his problems in his first year at UM.
But what Saban and Johnson had in common is that they both made changes after their first season.
I think in Saban's case he tweaked that offense. I think they bumped Major Applewhite out of the OC
gig if I recall correctly.
Jimmy re-did his defensive assistant staff and philosophy and had to tweak his offensive staff when
some of them left to follow Schnellenberger to Louisville.
So I hope Richt makes some changes after this season much like those two coaches and not sit on his
*** like Al Golden did on defense.

Last edited:
Advertisement

All fair points.
And Jimmy Johnson had his problems in his first year at UM.
But what Saban and Johnson had in common is that they both made changes after their first season.
I think in Saban's case he tweaked that offense. I think they bumped Major Applewhite out of the OC
gig if I recall correctly.
Jimmy re-did his defensive assistants and had to tweak his offensive staff when some of them left
to follow Schnellenberger to Louisville.
So I hope Richt makes some changes after this season much like those two coaches and not sit on his
*** like Al Golden did on defense.

Agree.

At his best, richt averaged one conference championship per 7.5 years. Don't hold your breath, and don't expect him to get us back. We ****ed up and went with a Miami guy who just got fired. Hopefully the administration doesn't extend his contract and we can move on before FSU wins 11 straight.

Advertisement
Relax Miami fans, Knute Rockne was 3-1-2 his first season at Notre Dame in 1918. This means Richt might suck *** this year, but he will win a plethora of NCs before he retires.

Did they also get railroaded by a bunch of mediocre ACC teams while scoring about 17 per game...

Advertisement
My thing is im ok with having a rough season because i always thought whoever came to coach would lose 4-5 games posssibly 6 based on my opinion of this roster. Also u mention savan but dude was busy getting julio jones to commit thats my thing if MR doesnt have a good first season fine....but he better hall in studs because that will tell u what u need to know. Butch did when he built us and that u reloaded doc tells alot those kids who were here saw the type of player butch recruited and were impressed. All elite coaches recruit hard period and if we get mcfarland and smith ghats a good fkin sign.

Advertisement
The entire premise of this thread is asinine.

This reminds me of the morons that use to cite overall record in defense of Larry Coker

"But but he won a championship and has a .744 winning percentage"

It's all about context. Some of you are so dense it's pointless to attempt to explain it any farther.

And for the record, not even I, the guy who's been ripping Richt left and right is saying he should be fired. Many of us are simply saying he has no business calling offensive plays and needs to hire a dedicated OC.

Did they also get railroaded by a bunch of mediocre ACC teams while scoring about 17 per game...

Nah - they lost to a 6-6 Louisiana Monroe team instead

Daaamn gotti lol

Ha True that... in fairness won a bowl game,beat 2 or 3 ranked teams and got within a score of beating the eventual national champs LSU.

When you look at the sh*t show that was their 06 season you can see a decent step forward in 07. Not sure we can claim that at this point in time.

My thing is im ok with having a rough season because i always thought whoever came to coach would lose 4-5 games posssibly 6 based on my opinion of this roster. Also u mention savan but dude was busy getting julio jones to commit thats my thing if MR doesnt have a good first season fine....but he better hall in studs because that will tell u what u need to know. Butch did when he built us and that u reloaded doc tells alot those kids who were here saw the type of player butch recruited and were impressed. All elite coaches recruit hard period and if we get mcfarland and smith ghats a good fkin sign.

This. Bama recruiting jumped from OK to elite straight away in 08 maybe it was the bagman or whatever but you have to sell what your building at the start of a new regime...Jones,Upshaw,Ingram,Dareus, Hightower, Barron etc. Richt has got to sell the 'pitch' and land some elite guys early...

There is another big difference:

Richt is not the stone cold coaching killer that Saban is.

Saban will put his foot into anyone's @ss to win a football game. He's high energy and intense

Richt wants to preach Sunday school and pass out bibles. He's low energy and has the disposition of a priest

Advertisement
Back