Saban must be second guessing

It's amusing how Clemson's own defensive ineptitude on the pivotal possession contributed to all the conclusions and assertions. They allowed Alabama to go from 3rd and 16 on their own 25, with a weak quarterback, to the end zone within a handful of plays. That allowed Deshaun Watson a full 2 minutes plus time outs.

#94 on Clemson -- Carlos Watkins -- was the unsung ironic hero of how it played out. He made a terrible choice on the 3rd and 16 pass rush, angling to his right as the pocket collapsed, instead of staying left and keeping Hurts boxed in. Once Watson erred it allowed Hurts a free escape toward the sideline, and opportunity for something to unfold in the secondary. Hurts was a huge underdog to successfully execute a 3rd and 16 dart from the pocket if Watkins hadn't screwed up.

Then Watkins had another very weak effort on the 30 yard touchdown run a few plays later.

I really thought he should have been up on that stage during the trophy presentation, accepting booby prize congratulations from ESPN analysts.

Alabama has so much margin for error. That's the scary aspect, and the reason I have to chuckle at all the claims their era is over, or near over. Saban knows what traits and body builds to look for, position by position. Notice he made the late push for Ahmmon Richards. There are 4 and 5 star players throughout the roster, and almost all of them look jacked. Great strength and conditioning program. The scheduling is strategically favorable, with several home cream puffs in non-conference but nobody condemns them for that because they always open with a name brand opponent on a neutral but somewhat favorable site. The SEC is somewhat overrated so Alabama benefits from winning games against teams whose reputation exceeds ability. In a normal season they are certainly excused one defeat and still make the Final Four, and in favorable seasons they can get there with two defeats.

Clemson pulled out a squeaker from a game long deficit, thanks to freak outlier talents like Deshaun Watson and Mike Williams. I have to laugh at all the claims that Alabama is vulnerable to the spread. Talk about not knowing what you are looking at. Most of Clemson's designs are basic plays with lots of window dressing, and executed by terrific players. That throw downfield that Williams highpointed to flip the field and set up the winning touchdown might as well have been a Dan Marino play. Likewise the dart to the tight end who made a great fingertip grab a couple of plays later.

The team was very balanced, running 42 times. They actually had 8 more rushes than Alabama. The carries from Clemson were almost equally split between Watson and Gallman.

If you want to argue that Alabama is susceptible to a high first round pick quarterback who throws with accuracy and touch, and can also run the ball fearlessly and effectively throughout the game despite being pounded and his neck wrung, okay I'll agree with that. As I posted last night...nice plan.

The gap between Hurts and Watson is so massive it is prompting threads on both sides of that, touting one and ripping the other. Hurts may not be the starter next season. Yet the dramatically weaker true freshman quarterback came within a whisker of national championship accolades. That's how much margin Alabama owns.

very well said

Advertisement
Bama probably wins if Scarborough doesn't go down. Plus, Bama's QB just isn't a solid passer yet. They would have lost with kiffin too under the same circumstances.

What do you want to bet that Saban's next rehab project will be Briles?

What do you want to bet that Saban's next rehab project will be Briles?

Wouldn't be surprising but Briles would snap Lil Nicky in half if he ever tried to give him a public "***-chewing" like he did with Kiffin. I also love how the media deems Saban's hirings or recruitings of players and coaches of suspect moral fiber as "rehabilitations". Anyone else that does this is deemed to be "going into the sewer" or at best "compromising their integrity".

Advertisement
Wouldn't be surprising but Briles would snap Lil Nicky in half if he ever tried to give him a public "***-chewing" like he did with Kiffin.

I have no doubt that Saban would leave such a conversation with a black eye, at minimum. Briles is a beast.

Advertisement
Back