Saban has retired.

Can’t say that I expected this to happen.

They tried to get the Oregon coach, then the Texas coach, then FSU coach….all of em got signed to lucrative extensions to lock their guy up lol - so then Bama pivoted to the Washington coach - which he has been very successful.

You’d think they would’ve gone after Lane but imo KB is the unproven SEC version of Lane. Only knock on him is he hasn’t won in the SEC. And that his offense was stifled in the Natty vs Michigan.
This guy just had his flu game.. double knickle game, his comeback game, **** like a 60 point triple double 20-22, 10 three pointers, 20 rebounds, 17 assist

Advertisement
This guy just had his flu game.. double knickle game, his comeback game, **** like a 60 point triple double 20-22, 10 three pointers, 20 rebounds, 17 assist

what were the raises for norvel sark and lanning i never saw any extensions or raises given...

Advertisement
This dude is 104-12 (.896) for his coaching career with limited to zero resources at his disposal. WTF do u think is going to happen w/ a machine behind him? There’s two guys I dreaded going to Bama, Lanning and DeBoer.

Washington played 7 one score games this year. If any of those games end up an L, and Washington doesn't make the playoffs, does Alabama still hire DeBoer? What if they lose 2?

I said earlier, when Nick Saban was hired it was not "if" he'll win a championship but "when". Everybody knew it. If we are a missed FG or a turnover on downs away from DeBoer not being the coach at Alabama then you are not in the stratosphere as Nick Saban. I am simply saying I'm shocked they went this route, this quick, after going the Saban route and living through almost two decades of that success. To satisfy that fan base they need a guarantee. Meyer would provide that. So would a few others. I do not care what you say, there is nothing out there to suggest DeBoer is a guarantee.

And please stop quoting his 67 wins at the FCS level as proof. Napier had the same win percentage as him his last three seasons.

I despise Saban, but you all assuming thos guy doesn't skip a beat are off your rocker. History shows greatness cannot be sustained at that level for much longer. Dynasties don't last forever and it may not be over but the parity and playoffs will make it much harder for Bama to keep rolling like they were.

Advertisement
I see some of ya’ll can’t get out ur own way b/c u’re allowing envy & wishful thinking to cloud judgement.

Some of ya’ll said the same chit about Kelly to LSU b/c of ur personal feelings v. checking his history.

Some of ya’ll r acting as if Bama pulled a UF by hiring & taking a chance on an up & comer G5 coach vs. an established P5 guy. U know what’s a different beast? Taking over a 4-8 team & turning them into a winner and CFP Finalist immediately.

This dude is 104-12 (.896) for his coaching career with limited to zero resources at his disposal. WTF do u think is going to happen w/ a machine behind him? There’s two guys I dreaded going to Bama, Lanning and DeBoer.
As always, you’re spot on with your assessment.

How anyone can think that DeBoer will not be hugely successful at Baga is beyond me. The man won at Indiana, which is unheard of. Then turned Washington around right away. Saban will have an office at their facilities, so he will still be there in some form and help recruit and maintain the well oiled machine that he built.

Same thing was said about Norvell, Kelly, the @$$hole HC at Oklahoma, and Riley. Having to come through terms with our current reality as Canes fans can be a bitter pill to swallow, and many fans find it easier to try to predict the downfall of other programs, instead of worrying about ours and how to right our ship.

Riley had a bad season at USC, but overall is a way more accomplished and cerebral HC than Mario. So are DeBoer, Lanning and the aforementioned @$$hole HC at Oklahoma.

It’s all laughable because with the exception of Billy Boy Napier, every other coach that our fanbase craps on is way better than Mario. Even Ryan Day has Taint battling for the ‘ship every season, and that’s without stud OL and DL, as their fanbase is constantly alluding to the fact that they’re lacking in those position groups. In spite of this, he still has them playing at a high level and winning at a high clip every season.

Our HC, not so much.

…and with our QB room looking the way it is, he’ll have to really pull a rabbit out of a hat next season, if not the fanbase will be coming after him with pitchforks and torches.

Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video

Washington played 7 one score games this year. If any of those games end up an L, and Washington doesn't make the playoffs, does Alabama still hire DeBoer? What if they lose 2?

I said earlier, when Nick Saban was hired it was not "if" he'll win a championship but "when". Everybody knew it. If we are a missed FG or a turnover on downs away from DeBoer not being the coach at Alabama then you are not in the stratosphere as Nick Saban. I am simply saying I'm shocked they went this route, this quick, after going the Saban route and living through almost two decades of that success. To satisfy that fan base they need a guarantee. Meyer would provide that. So would a few others. I do not care what you say, there is nothing out there to suggest DeBoer is a guarantee.

And please stop quoting his 67 wins at the FCS level as proof. Napier had the same win percentage as him his last three seasons.
If Mario takes a knee…if the fumble that wasn’t a fumble is called correctly against GT…if TVD doesn’t get injured…if Mario and Dawson call good plays against Louisville inside their 10yard line…if Mario plays Emory earlier on when TVD gets injured and let’s him do more than just manage the game…if Mario doesn’t go into a bro-style shell after the UNC game…and last…if my uncle had a dyck, he’d be my aunt.

Last edited:

U already shot ur own post down w/ ur Napier comparison. Here’s a known fact; DeBoer been on the scene well b4 he was a HC.

He didn’t just go from FCS HC to a HC. He worked his way up the proper way. He went from Sioux Falls as a HC at the Div. II level, then to becoming an OC at the FCS level, to an OC at the lower G5 level, to an OC at the G5 level, to an OC at the P5 level, to a HC at the G5 level, now to a HC at the P5 level prior to transitioning to Bama.

Advertisement
I see some of ya’ll can’t get out ur own way b/c u’re allowing envy & wishful thinking to cloud judgement.

Some of ya’ll said the same chit about Kelly to LSU b/c of ur personal feelings v. checking his history.

Some of ya’ll r acting as if Bama pulled a UF by hiring & taking a chance on an up & comer G5 coach vs. an established P5 guy. U know what’s a different beast? Taking over a 4-8 team & turning them into a winner and CFP Finalist immediately.

He isn’t going to be Saban but most of the time will scheme his way into wins. Think a non degenerate Lane who is more focused. Recruiting won’t be elite but it won’t need to be for him to win. As long as people don’t expect NC after NC like Saban.

U already shot ur own post down w/ ur Napier comparison. Here’s a known fact; DeBoer been on the scene well b4 he was a HC.

He didn’t just go from FCS HC to a HC. He worked his way up the proper way. He went from Sioux Falls as a HC at the Div. II level, then to becoming an OC at the FCS level, to an OC at the lower G5 level, to an OC at the G5 level, to an OC at the P5 level, to a HC at the G5 level, now to a HC at the P5 level prior to transitioning to Bama.
Buddy we aren't competing against the Bama's for championships. We are competing against Bama for recruits. We are more in the Ncst, Mississippi St, Northwestern territory for W/L. You are thinking too big.

Interested in seeing him without Ryan Grub. I know DeBoer was a grade A OC in his own right but its a little harder as the head coach. Plus even as OC his run game was never consistently strong (passing game was A+ everywhere he went though).

I think he will do well at Bama and stay as long as he wants but not convinced they dont take a small step back. From a recruiting perspective it helps us to have a guy like him there vs a guy like Lanning and definitely vs Saban.

Advertisement

Nothing against Deboer, I think he's a fantastic coach, I just think so much of what Bama was able to accomplish was based on Saban's force of personality.

For a long time no one was able to replicate Mack Browns (relatively) successful tenure at Texas. IMO the biggest reason why is that the Texas job is 50% coaching, 50% *** kissing of billionaire boosters. It's coaching and politics. Meddling boosters want to be able to tell their golf buddies that they just had brunch with the HC. Saban is one of the few coaches who had the juice to tell those boosters to f*ck off, because he has work to do. How is DeBoer going to deal with the demand on time from the big donors, which is something he's never had to deal with?

And what if DeBoer actually has morals and a conscience? Fans on this site said the reason Richt didn't pull in classes like Kirby Smart is that he didn't believe in cheating. Baga is all about playing dirty, like stealing a prized recruit by promising to bust his relative out of jail. If DeBoer thinks Bama should be an ethical program, will it still recruit at the level it did under Saban?

DeBoer is a terrible hire for them. He has 2 years of experience at a G5 and another 2 at Washington. Won a lot of games at Washington but he also had a Heisman QB there, he's not going to have that at Alabama at least not this year.

He's not experienced or proven. And he can't recruit for ****.

But most importantly, he's not Nick Saban. And that fanbase is spoiled. As soon as he loses one game, they'll start in on him about how he's not from the South, he's not proven, his recruiting is garbage and so on. It could get toxic fast over there during the season.

Advertisement
Back